Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So it says on the website that the reading list in the first year comprises of the likes of Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Sons and Lovers, Dracula etc. Is this likely to be the case for 2007 students, or is it changed yearly?

If so, is it worth me buying these books and reading them now (it tells you which editions to get). And where could I get them nice and cheap, preferably without going to the shop in the Students' Union (though I will if I have to, as I don't live far away, but they may require proof of student ID or be closed now).

Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it looks as though they tend to stay pretty much the same, though the 'Reading Novels, Writing Essays' (Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Sons and Lovers and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man) module was taught by John Peck and he has now retired. There's a new module replacing that in the autumn, and though it's along the same lines (I remember seeing the name of it on the English dept timetable though can't remember off the top of my head!) I have no idea what the set texts will be.

As for getting books cheap, I get most of my books from Amazon.co.uk or play.com.

You'll probably get the final reading list through not long after results - when I started in 2005, my reading list was actually the first thing I got from the uni, even before my accomodation or any other details!

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, I won't bother with those three then. Well I'll probably read them regardless, but you know what I mean. I figured we wouldn't get reading lists until freshers' week, so that's a bit of a relief. Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 13, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.