The Student Room Group

Brit killed fighting IS.

A terrorist has been killed by other terrorists. Good riddance.
Reply 2
Original post by AlifunArnab

How exactly was he a terrorist?

IS are trying to subjugate the Kurds, not the other way around.
Original post by JamesN88

PYD are an affiliate of the PKK (a terrorist group).

Ex-PKK leaders are also leaders of the YPG and on the whole they share a very similar ideology.

For that reason I feel no sympathy towards this fighter. He went to Syria to fight with terrorists and got what he deserved.
Crazy that people waste their lives fighting Jihadists in the Middle East, while your governments flood your countries with them LOL

The real battle needs to be in Europe
While I don't think it's particular wise to run off to Syria to join the Kurds, I certainly have sympathy for this chap.
Without groups like the Kurds it's unlikely that the fight against Da'esh would be going as relatively well as it is. Western air power has been very useful but aircraft can't take/hold ground.

I may not agree with everything the Kurds do but unlike most British nationals who seem to want to fight for the enemy, this bloke wanted to fight against the butchery & tyranny that Da'esh enforces.
Reply 6
Original post by JamesN88

If the saying 'one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter' is true then evidently it has to go both ways...

Ex-PKK leaders are also leaders of the YPG and on the whole they share a very similar ideology.

For that reason I feel no sympathy towards this fighter. He went to Syria to fight with terrorists and got what he deserved.

Are there any groups in Syria you consider not to be terrorists?

As far as I know, their aim is to create free Kurdistan, not to convert whole world to some faith with threats and
violence (which even fails as a method, not to discuss lack of evidence and ill logic of their ideology).
Therefore PKK cannot be compared to ISIS, their aims are different, intensification of terrorist methods is also on a
different level, even if evidence on PKK's terrorism is genuine. (Turkey's ill interest in keeping their part of Kurdistan inside the country, is to discredit Kurdish organizations as much as possible.) According to YPG, Turkey is responsible for killing 30k Kurds, and forced relocation of 3 millions.

I had an eye on YPG, for some time, it seems that approx. 10 volunteers from "the western world" are KIA each year in their forces.
Normally I avoid using images in discussion, since their use is often ill and fails as a proper argument, however since radicalism is very close to an area of psychology, here I shall make an exeption and post some images of KIA volunteers that fough for YPG

Rifat Horoz

Reece Harding

Ashley Kent Johnston

Jamie Bright

Kevin Joachim

Charlie Keating

Keith Lewis Broomfield

Eric Scurfield

John Robert Gallagher

Certainly we may discuss ideology of YPG, but these men died like like soldiers, and it is hard to believe that their motivation can be compared to those presented by ISISes warrios.
(edited 7 years ago)

The PYD/YPG is a separate organisation to the PKK, and with their human rights record being better than pretty much any other faction in Syria, it meets pretty much none of the requirements for a "terrorist group". They're not considered a terrorist organisation by western countries (though the PKK is).

Unless of course "terrorist" in this case just means "group I don't like" rather than having any consistent definition...
Reply 10
Original post by Tempest II
While I don't think it's particular wise to run off to Syria to join the Kurds, I certainly have sympathy for this chap.
Without groups like the Kurds it's unlikely that the fight against Da'esh would be going as relatively well as it is. Western air power has been very useful but aircraft can't take/hold ground.

I may not agree with everything the Kurds do but unlike most British nationals who seem to want to fight for the enemy, this bloke wanted to fight against the butchery & tyranny that Da'esh enforces.

Agreed, I certainly sympathise with his and their efforts. After all they're trying to establish a secular democracy in the Middle-East, in other words open a sane wing in a nuthouse.

Cut myself on your edge.
Original post by PTMalewski
As far as I know, their aim is to create free Kurdistan, not to convert whole world to some faith with threats and violence (which even fails as a method, not to discuss lack of evidence and ill logic of their ideology).

Therefore PKK cannot be compared to ISIS, their aims are different, intensification of terrorist methods is also on a
different level, even if evidence on PKK's terrorism is genuine. (Turkey's ill interest in keeping their part of Kurdistan inside the country, is to discredit Kurdish organizations as much as possible.) According to YPG, Turkey is responsible for killing 30k Kurds, and forced relocation of 3 millions.

I had an eye on YPG, for some time, it seems that approx. 10 volunteers from "the western world" are KIA each year in their forces.
Normally I avoid using images in discussion, since their use is often ill and fails as a proper argument, however since radicalism is very close to an area of psychology, here I shall make an exeption and post some images of KIA volunteers that fough for YPG

Certainly we may discuss ideology of YPG, but these men died like like soldiers, and it is hard to believe that their motivation can be compared to those presented by ISISes warrios.

How do you expect to have a reasonable discussion when you're already justifying the PKK's terrorism?

Original post by RF_PineMarten
The PYD/YPG is a separate organisation to the PKK, and with their human rights record being better than pretty much any other faction in Syria, it meets pretty much none of the requirements for a "terrorist group". They're not considered a terrorist organisation by western countries (though the PKK is).

Unless of course "terrorist" in this case just means "group I don't like" rather than having any consistent definition...

Who are we trying to kid here? The PYD is a sister organisation of the PKK, and if the US didn't want to use them, they'd label them as such.

That depends on what you mean by not fitting the requirements of a terrorist group. I can say the same thing for Jabhat fath al sham but they're [still] classified as terrorists because of their past association with AQ.

The situation is similar with the YPG.

Original post by TercioOfParma
Cut myself on your edge.

It must've been a deep wound.
How do you expect to have a reasonable discussion when you're already justifying the PKK's terrorism?

Who are we trying to kid here? The PYD is a sister organisation of the PKK, and if the US didn't want to use them, they'd label them as such.

That depends on what you mean by not fitting the requirements of a terrorist group. I can say the same thing for Jabhat fath al sham but they're [still] classified as terrorists because of their past association with AQ.

The situation is similar with the YPG.

It must've been a deep wound.

Turkey is the only country to recognise the YPG as a terrorist organisation. No other country officialy agrees with this ruling and moreover the YPG is a strong ally of the west. What knowledge do you have that no one else does that supports your point.
Moreover for the point of discussion why can't you have a discussion about the "terrorism" of the PKK. You use a blank statement as a way to avoid answering the valid point that PTMalewski makes. Just because an organisation is marked as a terrorist organisation doesn't mean you can't discuss the validity of such branding (ofc this can't be done in Turkey due to the lack of freedom - where even discussing such topics could get you branded a terrorist sympathiser and get you arrested - but then again thats another story)
(edited 7 years ago)

No, I didn't, I said that PKK's aims are not as bad as those of ISIS, and their terrorism is a little bit in doubt.

I mean that the aim of Kurds is to gain independence but they are unable to launch a regular war against Turkey, therefore it's hard to expetc something different, than this sort of desperate actions, since Turkey continuusly commits crimes against them. Morever, Turkey's interests is to discredit the Kurds, therefore some terrorist attacks may even be inspired by them.

One thing is pretty sure, PKK is not worse than resistance movements operating in European countries occupied by IIIrd Reich, which occasionally attacked not only german soldiers, but as well civilian members German administration and collaborants. The ISIS uses terror to force everybody around to convert to their ideology, while If PKK use terror, it does it against members of state who is an occupant, and since this occupant is quite cruel, the amount of anger that may be created in such case, make this reaction if not acceptable, then understandable.

I don't know the exact situation in Turkish Kurdistan, then I don't want to be a judge. However if attacker or occupant uses cruel methods, then I consider that using the same methods may be jusitfied as response.
(edited 7 years ago)

jury is out on the PYD in reality none of the factions that are fighting in north africa/middle east are 'whiter than white' But the larger picture is they are many times better than the sunni islamist groups they are fighting against- especially as they are one of the few (non iran backed) groups that are actually fighting IS on the ground.
It's worth to have look on these official Facebook YPG's profiles

https://www.facebook.com/RojavaDefenseUnits/

https://www.facebook.com/InsideRojava/

Judge the content by yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending