The Student Room Group

ICAEW Case Study - ACA Simplified? Kaplan? BPP?

So, which tutor firm is "best"? I really like the idea of ACA Simplified it's unique and far less tutor hours... but it makes me nervous that all the mocks are internally generated and that they don't use ANY past papers... so essentially, everything is from the lectures there and nothing is used from the examiners...

what do others think? anyone been or heard about it?
Reply 1
They have a high success rate, so that must mean something!

There is also EOS, which is supposedly also very good - http://www.training-by-eos.com/
Reply 2
I got ACA Simplified's book "Cracking Case" for my exam (to complement Kaplan tuition through work) and did very well on my first attempt. Colleagues who failed their first attempt almost exclusively went with ACA Simplified tutoring for their resit and they all passed. I personally preferred ACA Simplified, but most people in my year only had Kaplan tuition and passed on their first attempt, so it must have worked well for them.

Whichever tutor you choose, I would recommend getting a copy of cracking case. It's £45 on amazon and you will learn a lot from that book.

Also, I didn't have time to do any speculative mocks, but sat a handful of past case studies with Kaplan. During revision, I spent most of my time reading up on the previous 5-6 case studies (incl. mark schemes!) and analysing the new advance information in a lot of detail. You definitely need to try a few past papers under exam conditions to get comfortable with timing case is extremely time-pressured.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply 3
on doing the past papers for case study, did you not have to learn the case and its quirks, prior to attempting them. And wouldn`t that be a waste of time learning the unique case of the past papers in order to attempt it. Would be good to know how you managed it... is there a generic approach that applies to each case to pass it? ( unlike other papers, I cant see the benefit of doing past papers, unless I`m missing something) .. thanks in advance.
Reply 4
I definitely saw the benefit of doing the past papers in full, to time etc (first time pass this July).

I felt practicing actual exams written by the examiners prepared me for what was to come. The mock exams of the actual case, while useful, are not written with the same rigour as the main exams. They are a best guess, written in a very short space of time by the tuition provider.
Are you doing case again as retake too?
Reply 6
No, Fortunately I passed first time, doing the past papers in line with the suggestions from BPP.
Reply 7
Original post by liono100
on doing the past papers for case study, did you not have to learn the case and its quirks, prior to attempting them. And wouldn`t that be a waste of time learning the unique case of the past papers in order to attempt it. Would be good to know how you managed it... is there a generic approach that applies to each case to pass it? ( unlike other papers, I cant see the benefit of doing past papers, unless I`m missing something) .. thanks in advance.

I haven't logged on for a couple years since I passed ACS but to answer your query - there is a tutor in Cyprus who has developed an insanely amazing exam technique for case study - she's excellent but keeps her material exclusively for her students (which makes it even more great for those who learn it). That was a couple years back now so she may have published it.. not sure but if anyone is in Cyprus she was last lecturing at UNIC... Thought I'd share this as she makes the exam so simple. cheers and good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending