The Student Room Group

Do unis REALLY care about GCSE grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey guys, well, I moved to England 2 months into Year 11 from America (quite a different education system) and sat 10 GCSE's. I ended up getting 6 A's 2B's and 2 C's, which really isn't that good.

Would this really put off my chances for Oxbridge or LSE, seeing as I want to do Economics and have 6 A's at AS Level?
Reply 21
Aj_Partow
Hey guys, well, I moved to England 2 months into Year 11 from America (quite a different education system) and sat 10 GCSE's. I ended up getting 6 A's 2B's and 2 C's, which really isn't that good.

Would this really put off my chances for Oxbridge or LSE, seeing as I want to do Economics and have 6 A's at AS Level?

Im going to be honest and say yes for Economics at LSE in my opinion, it is a hugely competitive course and I dont know if they would be swayed even by you writing and telling them about your circumstances. However, dont let this put you off applying because if you cash in your AS levels then then will be very impressive and if you write a very strong personal statement then it could just go your way.

With Oxbridge however, see Kellywood's advice above. I think your GCSEs will matter less there although most people will (wrongly imo) tell you differently and both my own experiences and Kelly's support what she says.
Reply 22
I'm sure you did fine in your GCSEs. I was worried about them too, but on results day I did better than I thought. It's only when you get to A levels you need to really start putting effort in. LSE are pretty strict about GCSEs, especially for social sciences. Just thought I'd say. Only two people in our sixth form got offers from there last year and our sixth form is pretty "good".

Relax. Enjoy the summer!

no don't make me feel bad:frown: last night i had a dream that when i came to school everyone looked really depressed and my best mate told me that i got all A*s but nobody else did. i got so ashamed as i felt the others deserve that kind of results, not me. funny dream, but meh, it's like a bad omen *sniffs*
i'm enjoying my summer alright but i think i realise the importance of GCSEs abit too late. i just need some points of views on this matter.

and thanks everyone else. can't really do anything bout em so i might as well forget about GCSEs:p:

Originally Posted by andrewlee89
Yeah since ur all talking abt GCSE's i'll bring up something I'd like to know about. I'm from Malaysia and I'm doing my a-levels now, but in the SPM (our equivalent of the British GCSE) I didn't do exceptionally well. I mean, I did get 9As, but only 5A1s (which are sort of like the A*). I didn't get an A1 for physics and chem, i got an A2. There is one problem though, there is some sort of an unfair marking process over here which seems to favour certain parts of the population, making it difficult for some in the minority to do well (and guess what, I am the minority). Some ppl who lose to me in class tests all the time end up getting 11 A1s and what not.

I'll be applying to Cambridge within the next month or so and I'd be gutted if in the end I was rejected for not exceptional SPM grades. Do they really care about them? Because I'm doing quite well in my A-levels right now and my projected grades are AAAB (further math B).

rubbish, your grades are awesome! :eek:
are you malay? i've never seen you in the international lounge:p:
Reply 23
tomdav
Watch out for places like Durham and LSE, they tend to be very big on GCSEs (far moreso that Cambridge in my opinion) because they claim they distinguish the very best from the best.

i got really average GCSEs and got offered a place at Durham...i shouldn't imagine many unis would reject an otherwise good candidate because of less than perfect grades in now irrelevant subjects/subjects in which the talent has been proven at a-level...

i didn't even THINK about my GCSEs when applying...does that make me completely naive?
Reply 24
k-lee C
i got really average GCSEs and got offered a place at Durham...i shouldn't imagine many unis would reject an otherwise good candidate because of less than perfect grades in now irrelevant subjects/subjects in which the talent has been proven at a-level...

i didn't even THINK about my GCSEs when applying...does that make me completely naive?

Congratulations firstly :biggrin:

It definately doesn't make you naive though, I bet loads of people didn't think about them and for you, it paid off. My GCSEs stopped me applying to Durham which in hindsight was perhaps a mistake. This goes to show that people should apply and not be put off by GCSE grades but at the same time be wary that if they are rejected from such universities, it is not because their whole application is rubbish. Besides, what is 1 or 2 rejections out of 5? You might as well risk it.
GCSE's can make up for bad AS's and vice versa. I didnt declare my as grades (because they were crap) when I applied so all unis had was my gcse's and predictions, but I still got accepted onto a very competetive course. So yeh they are important, especially if you **** up your as's.
x_LiNk_x

Just to second what tomdav said really, it probably will affect your chances at LSE because even though your GCSE grades are good, LSE are notorious for wanting lots of A*s, especially because I think economics is the most competitive course there. That doesn't mean it's impossible for you to get an offer though because your AS grades are obviously excellent, your personal statement will be taken into account as well and you can ask your referee to mention moving from America. With Oxbridge, you can use the interviews, admissions test and request for written work to impress them, and you can also have an extra personal statement and reference if you want.
Chezua
no don't make me feel bad:frown: last night i had a dream that when i came to school everyone looked really depressed and my best mate told me that i got all A*s but nobody else did. i got so ashamed as i felt the others deserve that kind of results, not me. funny dream, but meh, it's like a bad omen *sniffs*
i'm enjoying my summer alright but i think i realise the importance of GCSEs abit too late. i just need some points of views on this matter.

and thanks everyone else. can't really do anything bout em so i might as well forget about GCSEs:p:

rubbish, your grades are awesome! :eek:
are you malay? i've never seen you in the international lounge:p:

No, I'm Malaysian Chinese actually :biggrin: I rarely hang around in the lounges, but I do post up many questions related to my homework and stuff lol
Reply 28
tomdav
Congratulations firstly :biggrin:

It definitely doesn't make you naive though, I bet loads of people didn't think about them and for you, it paid off. My GCSEs stopped me applying to Durham which in hindsight was perhaps a mistake. This goes to show that people should apply and not be put off by GCSE grades but at the same time be wary that if they are rejected from such universities, it is not because their whole application is rubbish. Besides, what is 1 or 2 rejections out of 5? You might as well risk it.

thank you :biggrin: was the last offer i was waiting for so i was....slightly anxious! but it turned out alright!

also, i got six offers out of six, so i really don't think GCSEs are taken in to account that much. and if they are, they shouldn't be. from personal experience attitudes towards GCSEs were significantly more slack compared to those towards ASs so poor GCSEs aren't particularly accurate in their reflection on the abilities of the student. Although, as Rogue Trader said, good ones can definitely come in handy!
Reply 29
It obviously very much depends on the course and university you are going to apply to.

Just from my personal experience you can probably see a few things. I got 3A*, 3A,5B,1C at GCSE and AAAA at AS and applied for History & Politics. I got to the interview stage at Oxford so that shows to me that exceptional GCSE results are not needed to get to interview. However at Durham I was outright rejected even without an interview. This seems to suggest that for really competitve subjects Durham do weight GCSE`s more heavily. I believe the LSE also do this.
Reply 30
Yeah, I was thinking of going to the LSE, but with 4 A's and 6.5 B's at GCSE, had to throw that one out the window, but as someone else said, teachers didn't really emphasize enough the importance of GCSEs, and I dossed them... However, I'm hoping Cambridge is still an option as I'm going for full A's with extra curriculum stuff such as martial arts, D of E, YE, teaching kids programming.. etc.

I think its irresponsible for universities to be basing a lot on GCSEs, they are like 4 years in the past when your going to university, and many people did not achieve their full potentional during those GCSE years.

I've been hearing that nowadays UMC points are a LOT more important however, as they can determine the exact strength of the grades.
Look - please don't worry people! I got 3A*s, 7As and a B and I got 5 offers inc. Durham (although for sciences so less competitive). My AS results hardly made up for it - AABBB when 3 of the universities I applied to wanted AAA in the subjects I got Bs in!

GCSEs are important in the sense that the better they are the better your chances, but if they're not very good you will certainly not be ruled out providing you've got your standard 5 A*-C grades inc. English/Maths/Science and possibly a language although since the law changed I'm not sure.

Obviously for English etc universities often impose stricter rules on GCSE so there are exceptions to the rule and your best bet is to check now for any top universities for any courses you think you might want to do.
I'll echo some of what has already been said, that it really depends on the course that you want to do and the uni you want to go to. I was discarded from Northumbria last year in the first sort of applications, simply because of my GCSE results. That was for physiotherapy. The really irritating thing about it was that when I phoned the admissions tutor to ask why I had been rejected, he told me that if I had waited until I was 21 they would have taken me as they wouldn't be bothered about the GCSEs, as I would be a mature student!
Reply 33
blimey :eek: to your stories i mean.

well i don't know. but oxbridge dd stressed they want maths GCSE to be brilliant, and even if you've got a D for it and get an A for maths alevel, you'll still be rejected. funny:confused:

I think its irresponsible for universities to be basing a lot on GCSEs, they are like 4 years in the past when your going to university, and many people did not achieve their full potentional during those GCSE years.

i agree! :argh: if unis want to 'distinct' people out, why not rely on extra-curricular activites such as debate clubs and student councils?:confused: and to participate in A LOT of activities AND get As for your alevels that would mean you're active and very organised, no? meh....

@andrewlee
can tell from your name lol. but there's loads of malaysian chinese in the international lounge, i think i'm the only malay there tho :wink:
Reply 34
k-lee C
thank you :biggrin: was the last offer i was waiting for so i was....slightly anxious! but it turned out alright!

also, i got six offers out of six, so i really don't think GCSEs are taken in to account that much. and if they are, they shouldn't be. from personal experience attitudes towards GCSEs were significantly more slack compared to those towards ASs so poor GCSEs aren't particularly accurate in their reflection on the abilities of the student. Although, as Rogue Trader said, good ones can definitely come in handy!

Same happened to me, its abit nerve racking waiting for that last one when it is the one you really want!

I agree, I think places like LSE who place such high emphasis on GCSE grades miss a lot of really strong candidates who have learned the value of working hard to avoid past experiences (not that Im saying those with excellent grades dont work hard etc.. but I do think having rather average GCSEs and excellent A levels shows that the candidate has not only bounced back but learnt from the past.)
Reply 35
Jamesb283
Yeah, I was thinking of going to the LSE, but with 4 A's and 6.5 B's at GCSE, had to throw that one out the window, but as someone else said, teachers didn't really emphasize enough the importance of GCSEs, and I dossed them... However, I'm hoping Cambridge is still an option as I'm going for full A's with extra curriculum stuff such as martial arts, D of E, YE, teaching kids programming.. etc.

I've been hearing that nowadays UMC points are a LOT more important however, as they can determine the exact strength of the grades.

Be careful not to place too much emphasis on your ECs as it is widely said that Oxbridge arent as bothered as many people think, they are primarily interested in academics. You seem to have the right idea though, a few ECs paired with high UMS marks will put you in a very strong position when applying :smile: Good luck.
For most people, GCSEs are only 2 years in the past when they start uni, not 4, because GCSEs are taken at 16 and most people start uni at 18. I don't agree with focusing on GCSEs to the extent that unis like LSE and Durham do because you study such a wide range of subjects to such a basic level. If you're applying for an arts subject, why should it matter that you weren't very good at sciences, or vice versa? A-levels, where you study a narrow range of subjects to a high level, are much more important. There's also the fact that having quotas such as 6 A*s prevents a lot of people from getting offers irrespective of how well they did at A-level, not to mention that it completely ignores how much easier it is to get A*s at some schools compared to others. However, unis do need GCSEs to differentiate between those with the same A-level grades, and I personally have no problem with that. GCSEs are at least to some extent indicative of intelligence and work ethic and it would make no sense to ignore them completely. I'm afraid the argument that some people were too immature and lazy to do well at GCSE doesn't wash with me- frankly that's their fault and I think those who were mature and hard working should benefit from it. I definitely don't think extra curriculars should have any bearing on admissions for academic degree courses because a lot of them are completely irrelevant- we don't want to end up with an American style system where students get scholarships to Ivy Leagues even if they're totally thick just because they can throw a football around :rolleyes: Work experience and part time jobs can be important because students can gain useful skills from them, but I don't see what doing D of E, playing a sport or playing an instrument has to do with anything.

Sorry, didn't think that was going to be so long!
kellywood_5
For most people, GCSEs are only 2 years in the past when they start uni, not 4, because GCSEs are taken at 16 and most people start uni at 18. I don't agree with focusing on GCSEs to the extent that unis like LSE and Durham do because you study such a wide range of subjects to such a basic level. If you're applying for an arts subject, why should it matter that you weren't very good at sciences, or vice versa? A-levels, where you study a narrow range of subjects to a high level, are much more important. There's also the fact that having quotas such as 6 A*s prevents a lot of people from getting offers irrespective of how well they did at A-level, not to mention that it completely ignores how much easier it is to get A*s at some schools compared to others. However, unis do need GCSEs to differentiate between those with the same A-level grades, and I personally have no problem with that. GCSEs are at least to some extent indicative of intelligence and work ethic and it would make no sense to ignore them completely. I'm afraid the argument that some people were too immature and lazy to do well at GCSE doesn't wash with me- frankly that's their fault and I think those who were mature and hard working should benefit from it. I definitely don't think extra curriculars should have any bearing on admissions for academic degree courses because a lot of them are completely irrelevant- we don't want to end up with an American style system where students get scholarships to Ivy Leagues even if they're totally thick just because they can throw a football around :rolleyes: Work experience and part time jobs can be important because students can gain useful skills from them, but I don't see what doing D of E, playing a sport or playing an instrument has to do with anything.

Sorry, didn't think that was going to be so long!

I second the American statement, Lol
Chezua
^
i mean, so long you get As for your a-levels or IB, why should gcse grades be fussed about?:confused: i know that you need to get good GCSE grades if you're applying for oxbridge but doesn't it depend on the interview and the test they give out?

alright. most unis want something like 5 A* to C grades including maths and english. but do you really need to be an over-achiever when that's ALL they want, and what matters more are the a level grades?

1st of all, some uni they want a better overview of what the applicant is like. so they might wanna know your academical abilities since when you are doing your GCSE. however, yes, the interview and the test offered by oxbridge still matters more than the GCSE results. so, as long as you strive hard for your A levels and prove to the authorities what you are really capable of, that wouldn't be much of a problem. and oh yeah, it's also the attitude that counts:wink:

ehm, about your 2nd question, it's best that you try to get good grades for most of the subjects. but again, let's say if you are a maths whiz and applying for cambridge, but not having straight As for your A levels, cambridge would still want the cream of the crops who are really devoted and passionate about maths. again, you have to judge your own ability and see whether you are really really talented and interested in what you are applying for:smile:

and to andrewlee89, as i've said, they look at your SPM results, but ultimately it's the test, interview and the A levels results that matter the most, although the cambridge college and the course that you are applying is another factor to get into the uni or not. anyway,

WHEN THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY.

so good luck to both of ya!:wink:

regards,
alohamora18
Reply 39
silken1987
It really depends on which University you want to go to. I passed all of my GCSE's with grades A-C except for maths which I got a D in. I was offered places at all of the Unis I applied to regardless of this.

really

thats a relief..beacause i too passed all mine with a-c..but maths i got a D..missed it by 2 marks..damn it

lol

and im starting my ucas now..and soo many people have said that it affects uni choices...i want to do youth work..which isnt very mathamatical...so hopefull..i will be ok

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending