Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago I was out with a friend and we were smoking weed in his car. We are both 20 and didn't have much on us probably a gram or maybe less. We were sitting in his car after smoking and police drove up to us. We gave them the weed and our ID's. They basically chucked the weed away and said they were more concerned about my mate driving rather than us having a spliff. They took us into the police car and run checks using our ID's. No idea what they recorded but from what I saw they just typed in our names and date of birth to see any previous warnings or convictions nothing came up for both of us and we were just given our ID's back and told to walk back home. Will this be on our records?

ReputationRep:
    This is not my personal question but my friend wanted to use my account to post this and didn't put anon on ahah!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all checks are recorded, but it's not "on your record" as such. It wouldn't show if an employer did a DBS check, for example. However if the Police stopped and checked you in the future for some reason, this check would show up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    Yes, all checks are recorded, but it's not "on your record" as such. It wouldn't show if an employer did a DBS check, for example. However if the Police stopped and checked you in the future for some reason, this check would show up.
    Even if they didn't do any paper work? My name also didn't come up after typing it into the computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballroomdancer)
    Even if they didn't do any paper work? My name also didn't come up after typing it into the computer.
    It's likely that your name didn't come up because you've never been warned about this before, or so I'd imagine.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, technically, since everything that's typed in is recorded on the national computer, but you still won't "come up" unless you're arrested or have more formal contact with the Police. However someone in the Police who's looking hard enough could see that it's not the first time your details have been searched for even if nothing came up.

Short answer - no need to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    not quite - a warning isn't something that is an actual criminal penalty

ReputationRep:
    Such information would only be recorded internally not externally. So the general public cannot find out.

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago I was out with a friend and we were smoking weed in his car. We are both 20 and didn't have much on us probably a gram or maybe less. We were sitting in his car after smoking and police drove up to us. We gave them the weed and our ID's. They basically chucked the weed away and said they were more concerned about my mate driving rather than us having a spliff. They took us into the police car and run checks using our ID's. No idea what they recorded but from what I saw they just typed in our names and date of birth to see any previous warnings or convictions nothing came up for both of us and we were just given our ID's back and told to walk back home. Will this be on our records?
    You probably got recorded down as a caution. If you were given a record, they would've told you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like you even got a cannabis warning? When I got one the officer wrote out a report and I had to sign it and keep a copy. But even that doesn't usually show up on a DBS or anything (although it's been used as grounds to search me when I was out for a walk at night )

Just don't get caught again, because if you do they'll have some sort of record of this, at least of you being checked. And don't smoke and drive.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing for you to worry about, they've just ran checks on you both and the vehicle to check you weren't wanted or the car was stolen and then let you go.

As above if you get an actual warning you have to sign it to admit that you're guilty. You got lucky as the coppers didn't care about the weed you were smoking, doubly so as they could've also arrested and the courts potentially banned him for drug driving(being in charge of a vehicle).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.