Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Residency eligibility watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I will be starting a postgraduate course on 19th September. On gov.uk website, it says you must have been resident in EU for the past 3 years, andmust be living in England on the 1st day of the first academic year of yourcourse. It also says that the academic year is a period of twelve months starting on:
    1 September, if your course starts between 1 August and 31 December. My student accommodation contract starts on 17th of September. If I am not living in England by September 1st will I still be eligible? Thankyou!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by argyrios)
    Hi. I will be starting a postgraduate course on 19th September. On gov.uk website, it says you must have been resident in EU for the past 3 years, andmust be living in England on the 1st day of the first academic year of yourcourse. It also says that the academic year is a period of twelve months starting on:
    1 September, if your course starts between 1 August and 31 December. My student accommodation contract starts on 17th of September. If I am not living in England by September 1st will I still be eligible? Thankyou!
    Yes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Hi,
    *Edited*
    We have had this confirmed the followowing applies:
    • UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK for the 1st day of the 1st Academic Year
    • EU students must be resident in England for the 1st day of the 1st year of the course
    Thanks and apologies for confusion
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Morven SFE)
    Hi,

No you would need to be living in England on the 1st day of the first academic year of your course, which means you would need to be in England before the 1st September.

Thanks.
    Wow really?

So someone starting a course on 30th December would need to be in England on 1st September. That seems like a mistake in the regulations surely?

How are SFE planning to check ie What sort of documentation and evidence should EU students be getting hold of and keeping?

ReputationRep:
    2 different answers for the same question. I posted the same question on SFE facebook and the answer i got was:
    "You need to be resident in the UK for the first day of the course, not the 1st September". Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    2 different answers for the same question. I posted the same question on SFE facebook and the answer i got was:
    "You need to be resident in the UK for the first day of the course, not the 1st September". Thank you.
    Hi,

*Edited*

We have had this confirmed the following applies:
    • UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK for the 1st day of the 1st Academic Year
    • EU students must be resident in England for the 1st day of the 1st year of the course

ReputationRep:
    Please see here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4192695

This answer was given 4 weeks ago:

Because you're an EU national, as long as you're in England by the start of your course you'll be able to get a Postgraduate Loan.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    UPDATE

Please accept our apologies for the confusion with this

The following information applies:

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Quoting in the OP - see above SFE have updated their guidance. EU students need to be in England on the first day of their course
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks PQ

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.