Links in A Streetcar Named Desire Watch

CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
One of the tasks listed in my AS Level English Literature transition pack is noting the links between Tennessee Williams' personal life and his play, A Streetcar Named Desire. So far, I've highlighted how Williams' faced a drinking problem, as does Mitch and Blanche in ASND. However, I'm unsure of what other links I can make, particularly as I have struggled to find websites that will be useful for my English Lit revision ahead of starting sixth form.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
AnkitKapoor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CharmingCat)
One of the tasks listed in my AS Level English Literature transition pack is noting the links between Tennessee Williams' personal life and his play, A Streetcar Named Desire. So far, I've highlighted how Williams' faced a drinking problem, as does Mitch and Blanche in ASND. However, I'm unsure of what other links I can make, particularly as I have struggled to find websites that will be useful for my English Lit revision ahead of starting sixth form.

You can talk about Tennyson's struggles with his sexuality as reflected in Alan Grey ( Blanche's first husband who kills himself) and consider how that presents Tennyson's own feelings. Also Blance is a typical southern ' belle' as Tennyson's mother was, and you can talk about those delusions of grandeur failing as America became more like Stanley.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CharmingCat)

Erm, he had a very estranged relationship with his father who often preferred to work rather than parent. So you could link this with Mitch's empathy or lack thereof and his inability to love unconditionally.

You can also relate to Mitch who throws Blanche into a psychiatric ward and locks her away. Rather than facing his own demons and her, he hides and runs away from it by locking her up.

A similar occurrence can be said with Williams. Because of his alcoholism, his bother hospitalized him for it. Since Williams never recovered from his addictions, you can say by being hospitalized and sent away, he never was able to deal with his problems. He was just seen as a nuisance.

I love Desire as well as Cat On a Hot Tin Roof! I had to study the former at A2 level!
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Erm, he had a very estranged relationship with his father who often preferred to work rather than parent. So you could link this with Mitch's empathy or lack thereof and his inability to love unconditionally.

You can also relate to Mitch who throws Blanche into a psychiatric ward and locks her away. Rather than facing his own demons and her, he hides and runs away from it by locking her up.

A similar occurrence can be said with Williams. Because of his alcoholism, his bother hospitalized him for it. Since Williams never recovered from his addictions, you can say by being hospitalized and sent away, he never was able to deal with his problems. He was just seen as a nuisance.

I love Desire as well as Cat On a Hot Tin Roof! I had to study the former at A2 level!
(Original post by AnkitKapoor)
You can talk about Tennyson's struggles with his sexuality as reflected in Alan Grey ( Blanche's first husband who kills himself) and consider how that presents Tennyson's own feelings. Also Blance is a typical southern ' belle' as Tennyson's mother was, and you can talk about those delusions of grandeur failing as America became more like Stanley.
Thanks for your suggestions - those will be a tremendous help, and have only made me more impatient with excitement to start studying Streetcar in Year 12!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads