Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: Mobile Operating System Watch

• View Poll Results: What is your favourite OS on a mobile phone?
    iOS
    42.11%
    Android
    52.63%
    Windows
    5.26%
    Other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    What is your favourite OS on a mobile phone?

Please also check out this poll on desktop browsers: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4237158
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Android because it's the most flexible.

I like my phone to look and do what I want. Being able to add widgets, change layouts, change launchers and generally mess with every single little detail is perfect for me.

ReputationRep:
    Windows is easy to use

ReputationRep:
    iOS.

Android is a good operating system but companies like Samsung and Htc infest it with crap so makes it really slow. On iOS, the software is programmed knowing the limits of the hardware hence handles stuff more efficiently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    iOS.

Android is a good operating system but companies like Samsung and Htc infest it with crap so makes it really slow. On iOS, the software is programmed knowing the limits of the hardware hence handles stuff more efficiently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really slow is a bit of an exaggeration. What would be your opinion of more pure versions of Android, such as the ones you'd find on a Nexus? They lack all the bloatware you'd commonly find on your typical Samsung.

Also what do you mean by iOS is programmed to know the limits of the hardware? That's true for Android as well. You can't make Android software and put recommendations in if you don't know the hardware. What I assume you're talking about is how Android is far more fragmented and has far more options for device specs. An Android app that works on an S7 might not work be optimised for a J or A range phone from last year. Such fragmentation means performance varies wildly across devices, whereas iOS only has to deal with a handful of devices. Is that what you're getting at? Correct me if I'm wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.