Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start a MechEng degree soon and I'm thinking of revising so that I don't feel too rusty when i'm in. The problem is that i'm not sure where to start. Can you give me pointers on what to revise before starting uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert as I have no idea what mechanic engineering involves but a quick google search suggests Physics and Mathematics have a part, so these might be good revision subjects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dedicatus545)
    I'm going to start a MechEng degree soon and I'm thinking of revising so that I don't feel too rusty when i'm in. The problem is that i'm not sure where to start. Can you give me pointers on what to revise before starting uni?
    Is "soon" this autumn?

ReputationRep:
    I should've been more specific. My bad. I know that I have to study maths and physics but im not sure what topics to focus on.

ReputationRep:
    In the middle of September.

ReputationRep:
    In the middle of September.
    Go to your uni (firm and insurance) and go to your course. Look around for department pages and check the one for your course. You should find a programme of what you will cover. Start from there. Don't over cook yourself; I tried to study but the only think I ended up doing was depressing myself for being incompetent at what I want to study.

ReputationRep:
    That seems like a really good idea. Thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I should've been more specific. My bad. I know that I have to study maths and physics but im not sure what topics to focus on.
    What are your current strengths and weaknesses in maths and physics? Engineering won't utilise everything that you have used so far in those subjects as at the school level they are broad, so you may end up revising something that you might not encounter much during the degree.

From what I remember from my first year, what I found most challenging was shear force and bending moment diagrams, and fluid statics. These are subjects which you may or may not have covered to some degree before, as I don't know what exams you are sitting, and different people are going to find different elements challenging, too.

Overall I would say that being strong with calculus and mechanics is probably the most important, as that's what most of the subjects you'll study is based on.

ReputationRep:
    I will recommend you start learning differential equations, matrices and complex numbers. It will help if you also understand it and not just how to do them. By understanding I mean, for example when asked to find an eigen vector of a matrix (in a maths module), most people can find it alright and get full marks but then they go into their mechanics/statics lectures and the lecturer tells them the principal stresses of stress matrix is its eigen vector. At that point if you didnt know what eigen vectors represented in the first place (from maths) you will be thinking wtf has eigen vectors got to do with beams or bending.

If you wanna really breeze through first year, look through stuff in FP1 - 3, M1 - M5 because that will contain all of first year maths and some mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for giving me some really good pointers. I have some sort of an idea on what to do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    I will recommend you start learning differential equations, matrices and complex numbers. It will help if you also understand it and not just how to do them. By understanding I mean, for example when asked to find an eigen vector of a matrix (in a maths module), most people can find it alright and get full marks but then they go into their mechanics/statics lectures and the lecturer tells them the principal stresses of stress matrix is its eigen vector. At that point if you didnt know what eigen vectors represented in the first place (from maths) you will be thinking wtf has eigen vectors got to do with beams or bending.

If you wanna really breeze through first year, look through stuff in FP1 - 3, M1 - M5 because that will contain all of first year maths and some mechanics.
    You mention that it's a good idea to "look through stuff in FP1 - 3, M1 - M5", but if it's not too much trouble, could you be more specific topic-wise? I assume that not all topics in those units are relevant in the first year of a Mech Eng course. I'm guessing the answer will be differential equations, matrices and complex numbers though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)

If you go to the course page of any uni course, they usually list specific topics you learn, my uni Southampton has their syllabus online. Just go to mechanical engineering module and look at the maths topics under course contents .

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.