Britain: 'the fat man of Europe'

Watch
Jee1
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...in-the-UK.aspx

Why are there so many fat people in this country? we are currently the fattest country in Europe it's disgusting to see so many beer bellies and flappy people in the summer holidays.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jee1)
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...in-the-UK.aspx

Why are there so many fat people in this country? we are currently the fattest country in Europe it's disgusting to see so many beer bellies and flappy people in the summer holidays.
The main reason, is the transition in the 1950s to cottonseed, sunflower oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, flax, soybean oil, (unsaturated) etc
instead of using lard and butter (saturated fat) .
Also , feeding animals corn instead of grass has had a huge effect on
people's health.

Secondly, we no longer eat organ meats like liver, collagen and bone broth, instead we only eat steak (the worst part of the animal)

These two things have destroyed the western world.
Jee1
Rep:
(Original post by democracyforum)
The main reason, is the transition in the 1950s to cottonseed, sunflower oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, flax, soybean oil, (unsaturated) etc
instead of using lard and butter (saturated fat) .
Also , feeding animals corn instead of grass has had a huge effect on
people's health.

Secondly, we no longer eat organ meats like liver, collagen and bone broth, instead we only eat steak (the worst part of the animal)

These two things have destroyed the western world.
It's all about portion control nothing to do with types of oil and meat
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jee1)
It's all about portion control nothing to do with types of oil and meat
Your explanation is too simple.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
it's not britain, it's mostly just scotland
cakesquared
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
well, high wages equal big meals
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cakesquared)
As simple as this sounds I do think it's mostly true.

According to a BBC Horizon program life expectancy actually went up in the Great Depression as people ate less. I certainly wouldn't have thought that. Calorie restricting is known to have benefits.

Of course the other side of that is healthy food generally costs more these days so poorer people can't always afford healthy options.
Jee1
Rep:
(Original post by cakesquared)
Agree, but they can control the amount they eat
Giotto
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
"Body shaming" is the term now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Giotto
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The attempts to make people feel better about their bodies has seemed to have made people fatter and less happy. The current trend towards 'fat acceptance' I don't think is a positive thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
upperechelon
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Because there's now shame and self consciousness shrouded with weight; it's now acceptable to lie to your overweight friend when they ask you if they're fat than tell them the truth, which is disgusting. Add that to the 'fat acceptance' movement and you've got disaster.

The solution is simple. Calories in v calories out. If you eat more than you need, you will gain weight.
Jee1
Rep:
(Original post by Giotto)
The attempts to make people feel better about their bodies has seemed to have made people fatter and less happy. The current trend towards 'fat acceptance' I don't think is a positive thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is there to feel good about the fact that they are shoving unhealthy food into their mouths then getting diagnosed with diabetes, heart conditions and other illnesses that comes with being fat. We could get rid of world hunger if fat people eat less then the excess food can be given to starving children
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads