Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm sure this or similar has been posted many times before, but I have reached a time in my life where people are asking questions about what I am doing with my future....

I'm 28 and have never really known what it is I really want to do career wise, because of this I picked a Bachelors degree that was just 'ok for me and something i found fun' and went for it but never really found too much enthusiasm for the course as a whole and suffered a terrible final year of illness and stress so wound up with a 2.2 in German and Spanish. I was then told a good option would be to become a teacher or something similar in these languages as the prospects are good for young male teachers at the moment due to shortages. In between semesters and around university time I travelled alot using short hardworking pitstops to gain the money to move around places like Europe, Australia etc. Like everyone I grew a love for travelling and still wish to do lots more of it.

I'm currently at a sort of crossroads however, I'm signed up for a postgraduate MSc in Computer Science (with a placement in industry) and am due to start there in September. I signed up for this as i've always had a strong affinity with computers and coding, and feel the job prospects to be very good in the coming future with practically everything but the kitchen sink becoming code-able. The thing is, I honestly can't decide If i should hold off on doing this so I can travel, as I was thinking about doing a TEFL course or getting the CELTA and teaching abroad for a few years so I can see more of the world.

But from every angle I'm told its fine to travel when you are in your teens and early twenties but when approaching thirty one needs to start thinking of settling down and getting savings for a house etc. (I would still love to own a house someday too).

Essentially I am trying to find the answer to two seperate questions. Firstly, is there any advice people have for people that are struggling to find out "what they really want to do with their life", as I've tried career aptitude tests and all sorts of psychology tricks and tips but in the end there is no definite career choice available because my interests are so varied (is the best thing to just pick one and run with it and hope its the right choice?). An example of my tendency to destroy aptitude tests often comes when I say i love both the great outdoors and sitting at a computer coding, and i love private time away from people but also can't go without a good debate and being around lots of people, all of which tends to confuse these tests into thinking i just like everything.

The second question is whether its even possible to "have it all" in terms of travelling as much as you want for long periods of time but still progressing in some way enough to walk into a high paying job when you wish to settle down and start saving for a house. I really don't want to come across as greedy, because i'd happily settle for one or the other, but as my problem is I don't know which I would prefer right now, I'm wondering if its possible to advance a career (or prospects of a career) whilst still travelling the world (e.g teaching english) and yet not forego the chance to ever own my own home because i didn't spend 20 years saving in the current financial climate....

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make it clear what I was trying to ask.....
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm sure this or similar has been posted many times before, but I have reached a time in my life where people are asking questions about what I am doing with my future....

I'm 28 and have never really known what it is I really want to do career wise, because of this I picked a Bachelors degree that was just 'ok for me and something i found fun' and went for it but never really found too much enthusiasm for the course as a whole and suffered a terrible final year of illness and stress so wound up with a 2.2 in German and Spanish. I was then told a good option would be to become a teacher or something similar in these languages as the prospects are good for young male teachers at the moment due to shortages. In between semesters and around university time I travelled alot using short hardworking pitstops to gain the money to move around places like Europe, Australia etc. Like everyone I grew a love for travelling and still wish to do lots more of it.

I'm currently at a sort of crossroads however, I'm signed up for a postgraduate MSc in Computer Science (with a placement in industry) and am due to start there in September. I signed up for this as i've always had a strong affinity with computers and coding, and feel the job prospects to be very good in the coming future with practically everything but the kitchen sink becoming code-able. The thing is, I honestly can't decide If i should hold off on doing this so I can travel, as I was thinking about doing a TEFL course or getting the CELTA and teaching abroad for a few years so I can see more of the world.

But from every angle I'm told its fine to travel when you are in your teens and early twenties but when approaching thirty one needs to start thinking of settling down and getting savings for a house etc. (I would still love to own a house someday too).

Essentially I am trying to find the answer to two seperate questions. Firstly, is there any advice people have for people that are struggling to find out "what they really want to do with their life", as I've tried career aptitude tests and all sorts of psychology tricks and tips but in the end there is no definite career choice available because my interests are so varied (is the best thing to just pick one and run with it and hope its the right choice?). An example of my tendency to destroy aptitude tests often comes when I say i love both the great outdoors and sitting at a computer coding, and i love private time away from people but also can't go without a good debate and being around lots of people, all of which tends to confuse these tests into thinking i just like everything.

The second question is whether its even possible to "have it all" in terms of travelling as much as you want for long periods of time but still progressing in some way enough to walk into a high paying job when you wish to settle down and start saving for a house. I really don't want to come across as greedy, because i'd happily settle for one or the other, but as my problem is I don't know which I would prefer right now, I'm wondering if its possible to advance a career (or prospects of a career) whilst still travelling the world (e.g teaching english) and yet not forego the chance to ever own my own home because i didn't spend 20 years saving in the current financial climate....

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make it clear what I was trying to ask.....
    I d say pick one and run with it( you never know if you don't try) and maybe go travelling later in life or during annual leave as owning a house is important to you, you d need a decent income not spent on travelling unless you can still keep good savings up.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do both? Do a distance learning MSc in Computer Science or IT and you can do it from anywhere. Aberdeen, Hertfordshire and Northumbria all offer distance learning conversion degrees. Alternatively, if you wanted to do the CELTA you could do that distance learning, too and keep it as an option.*

Doing computer science makes you very portable, as much if not more so than if you did the CELTA on your own. Something to think about. *

ReputationRep:
    it's really not unusual to not know what you want to do or not feel ready to stop travelling and settle down... you really just have to make a decision about where your priorities lie, you don't need to wait for a career that feels 'perfect', you just have pick something which you think you can enjoy and run with it, you're never going to have a career involving everything you enjoy (especially if your interests are varied) and that's okay, you can pursue other things as hobbies if you like

as far as travelling or settling down... well that's your choice, the longer it takes to start a grad job (I'd imagine) the more you'll struggle to get one but you should do what makes you happy, just be sensible in your choice and remember you can still travel while working

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.