Tuition fees will rise!? Watch

iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Basically, i was at work the other day and i had a customer come in. Got talking to him and it turns out he organises loans for american students when they come to study in the UK. After a little more talking he told me that there are plans to raise tution fees by universities. Furthermore the tuition fees, rather than being fixed, may be variable for each university. With universities such as oxbridge charging more. Does anyone know anything about this. Got me quite worried as this is set to happen around 2009. Do you think existing students who have to pay tuition fees have to follow the new fees structure or would it only affect new students going into uni?
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by iceman_jondoe)
Basically, i was at work the other day and i had a customer come in. Got talking to him and it turns out he organises loans for american students when they come to study in the UK. After a little more talking he told me that there are plans to raise tution fees by universities. Furthermore the tuition fees, rather than being fixed, may be variable for each university. With universities such as oxbridge charging more. Does anyone know anything about this. Got me quite worried as this is set to happen around 2009. Do you think existing students who have to pay tuition fees have to follow the new fees structure or would it only affect new students going into uni?
Yep a lot of people saw this coming when they increased the amount of grants available for the 2008 year

It would not be fair for existing students from 2009 to have their fees suddenly increased that way when the existing students in 2008 are not going to gain from the increase in financial help

Bit of a double standard methinks :rolleyes:
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tuition fees have already risen for some places- at Glos they were £3000 for 2006/2007 but for 2007/2008 they're £3070 but thats in line with inflation I'd guess.
MaryMoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard about this. My Dad keeps wittering on about how my sister (3 years younger) could end up paying much more in tuition fees than I do for the same univesity. I think is unlikely it will come into effect anytime soon (the next couple of years ... this could just be wishful thinking on my part!).

This is a quote from an article on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6357199.stm
The figures [from UCAS on increased university applications] may re-open the debate as to whether the current £3,000 cap on fees should be increased when the system is reviewed in 2009.
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
well, i certainly hope the 3000 fees dont rise, i dont really wanna be in so much debt!
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by beach surf babe)
Tuition fees have already risen for some places- at Glos they were £3000 for 2006/2007 but for 2007/2008 they're £3070 but thats in line with inflation I'd guess.
Yes that is in line with inflation. Currently there is something called the 3K cap. That prevents universities charging more than 3,000 per annum. For this coming year it has risen £70 with inflation.

For 2009 entry, the cap can be raised (as part of the legislation passed). Oxbridge and many of the Russell Group universities want to see the cap raised to anywhere between 5-10K

They want to create a market. However as many pointed out, universities will be forced to charge the cap as those that charge less are seen to be less better than those that charge the cap.

As this hits the news I urge you to join in with the inevitable campaigns and write to your MP about how ridiculous a market for universities is and the elitism it creates in America.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you start before 2009 I doubt your fees will increase, it will only be new students (Ie: for students who started degrees in 2005, each year of their degree will still only be £1000 paid up front but for students starting in 2006 each year will costs £3000 via loan)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.48%
No (1471)
85.52%

Watched Threads