Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if you prefer to take notes with pen and paper or take a laptop to your lecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrionyBea)
    I was just wondering if you prefer to take notes with pen and paper or take a laptop to your lecture?
    Pen and paper in my opinion it helps me understand more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    pen and paper.

I remember that I typed up all of my GCSE history notes only to realise at the end that it didn't help me take any of it in

edit: didn't realise this was the uni forum :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Pen/Paper.

Dont understand how anyone can make notes with a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Why do the lecturers NOT give you their presentation on sheets of paper?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Pen and paper

ReputationRep:
    Pen and paper. I took notes on my laptop for around 3 weeks when I first started uni, but the flexibility of pen & paper is far better for quickly taking notes that actually make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    I memorize everything cuz im smart :ahee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

To be honest it depends how much I am taking down in a lecture - if it's small, quick notes then I use pen and paper and rewrite them at a later date.
    However, if it's a lecture where i'll be taking loads, I use my iPad Mini - best decision I ever made!

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who use laptops in lectures. Especially if they sit in front of me, because those screens are so bloody distracting. If you're using a laptop and you're not sitting near the back, you are fully entitled to get a pen thrown at your head.

I don't really take notes; I can pretty much just stare at the PowerPoint slide and remember to a fair level of detail what is on it and what the don at the front of the class has said about it. I'd then go home and revise it.

(Original post by PHD2027)
    Why do the lecturers give you their presentation on sheets of paper?
    Wot?

Some allow you to print out the slides before the lecture so that they can be narrated whilst inside.

...but wot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    I hate people who use laptops in lectures. Especially if they sit in front of me, because those screens are so bloody distracting. If you're using a laptop and you're not sitting near the back, you are fully entitled to get a pen thrown at your head.

I don't really take notes; I can pretty much just stare at the PowerPoint slide and remember to a fair level of detail what is on it and what the don at the front of the class has said about it. I'd then go home and revise it.

Wot?

Some allow you to print out the slides before the lecture so that they can be narrated whilst inside.

...but wot?
    sorry. I just noticed what was wrong with my post. I meant ehy do they NOT give lecture presentation sheets.

ReputationRep:
    Pen and paper every time!

ReputationRep:
    Pen and paper, and print off the lecture slides and add notes as I go along.

ReputationRep:
    My handwriting is horrible (to the extent that I had to type my A level exams!) so I'm planning to take my laptop to lectures when I go to uni this year. Hopefully it won't be too unusual.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting University in September and on the information they gave us for our course they said they do encourage bringing in laptop for notes but I can't stand the idea of carrying my laptop into Uni each time! I would feel much more comfortable with pen and paper but wasn't sure if using a laptop was like the absolute 'done' thing in Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting University in September and on the information they gave us for our course they said they do encourage bringing in laptop for notes but I can't stand the idea of carrying my laptop into Uni each time! I would feel much more comfortable with pen and paper but wasn't sure if using a laptop was like the absolute 'done' thing in Uni.
    Laptops for notes in lectures is not the done thing at uni.

However, bringing laptops into uni to do work on outside of class is very common.

ReputationRep:
    In the rare occasions I attended lectures- pen and paper.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    pen and paper.

ReputationRep:
    I take notes with a pen and paper. With a laptop it's really easy to get distracted, but i guess it depends on the type of person. I know friends who bring laptops and edit lecture presentations with annotations whilst the lecture is going on. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.