The Student Room Group

SQA Results Service FAQ

SQA Results Service 2018 info click here >>>

SQA Results Day 8th August 2017: Results Service FAQ

This thread will aim to give information regarding the SQA results service, should anyone need to use any of these services come results day.

If you want to have a general chat about results day, you can do so in the SQA Results Discussion thread. If you would like any other advice regarding your results, there is information on the Need advice about your SQA results? thread. You can also check out the SQA section of our results day hub for lots of useful information.

If you have a question regarding the results service, please feel free to post in this thread.

What is the results service?

The results service is an attempt by the SQA to make sure candidates receive the grades and qualifications that they really deserve, in spite of what could be considered underperforming in the main exam.

How does the results service work?

There are two types of results service that the SQA provide: exceptional circumstances consideration, and the post-results service.

What is the Exceptional Circumstances Consideration Service?

This service is only open prior to results day. If you were unable to attend your exam or believe your exam performance was affected by exceptional circumstances (e.g. bereavement, illness, etc.), then your school or centre can submit an "appeal" on your behalf for this to be taken into account. Along with this, alternative evidence of your past performance can be submitted. Alternative evidence can include prelims, other mock exams, class assessments or coursework. In this way, the exceptional circumstance consideration service is most like the previous appeals service.

The deadline for your school or centre to submit a request was 10 working days after the exam that the request was being made for.

What is the Post-Results Service?

This service is available only after you receive your results. The SQA provide you the opportunity to request a clerical check (checking that all of your exam has been marked, the marks added up correctly, and then your marks added correctly to the SQA's database) or marking review (effectively a remark by a senior examiner). A clerical check is inclusive with a marking review, so if you submit a marking review, you will get a clerical check at the same time.

The use of these services can lead to an increase or decrease of your grade if the SQA discover there has been an error with the paper. Therefore, if you get a B, your grade may be bumped up to an A (if they discover they've given you too few marks) or down to a C (if they discover you've been given marks you shouldn't have). This means that there's an inherent risk in submitting a clerical check or marking review.

Alternative evidence will not be considered as part of the post-results service, and if this submission does not lead to a change in your grade your school/centre will be charged a fee for its submission. It is therefore at the school's/centre's discretion whether or not they will submit a clerical check or marking review.

If you would like to use the post results service, you will need to speak to your school/centre directly.

I missed the conditions of my University/College offer, can I still get a review and meet my conditions?

Yes, if you missed the conditions of your University/College offer by one grade or so, your school/centre can submit a priority marking review. Centres and UCAS will be advised on the outcome of this by 28th August 2017. If your grades are increased and it turns out you meet the conditions of your offer, most Universities/Colleges will still offer you your place as long as you let them know by the end of August.

If you do submit a priority marking review, you should let your University/College know as soon as possible after results day.

So what if my grade changes as a result of the post results service?

Then you will be issued with a new, updated Scottish Qualifications Certificate and the SQA will change your grade in their system.

Who can use the results service?

Everyone. All candidates who have completed their course are eligible to use the results service as long as their school/centre agree to do so.

Should I try to submit a clerical check/marking review?

The advice we can give you about whether or not a check and/or review is "worth" it is limited. Bear in mind that your result can go up, down or stay the same and we have seen examples of all three. The best people to ask for advice are your tutors or teachers at school who will be able to use their professional judgement and advise if a submission would be worthwhile.

What are the deadlines for using the post results service?

The closing date for priority marking review requests is 18th August 2017, with the outcome being received by 28th August 2017. Schools/centres and UCAS will both be advised of the outcome of a priority marking review.

The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 29th August 2017. The outcome of a clerical check or marking review will be delivered to centres by 29th September 2017.

For full information, including answers to more questions and key dates, you can check the full SQA results service page here.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Biff74
Teacher predicted a high B for my daughters PE nat 5 she got a C is it worth appealing ??

You won't be able to appeal the grade but the school can ask for a clerical check or marking review (see first post of this thread). I would advise you/your daughter speak to your school about this - they are the best ones to judge whether or not a review is worth it. They will have more information on how far off a B your daughter was. :smile:
Thanks for this, my daughter received a C for Higher Graphic Communication last week and was very disappointed with her result as she and her teacher were expecting an A+ (based on her portfolio and prelim). We're planning to speak to her school this week with regards to requesting a marking review. A number of other students in her class who were also expected to do well have also received poor grades or even failed which seems odd?
Reply 3
Original post by Littleannie24
Thanks for this, my daughter received a C for Higher Graphic Communication last week and was very disappointed with her result as she and her teacher were expecting an A+ (based on her portfolio and prelim). We're planning to speak to her school this week with regards to requesting a marking review. A number of other students in her class who were also expected to do well have also received poor grades or even failed which seems odd?

Hopefully the school will be willing to submit a marking review. It will need to be done by the end of this month. Let us know how she gets on :smile:

A number of students not doing as well as expected who are all in the one class can happen from time to time and can be down to a number of factors - potentially the teacher not having the best judgement or something being missing from the teaching.
Thanks for your response. Yes there will definitely be a lot of questions asked tomorrow when we speak with her school. I'll let you know how we get on and fingers crossed they suggest a marking review. I know that the school will be disinclined to request one at the start off as its a very poor school and the made it very clear at the start of prelims etc that they would only be requesting them in exceptional circumstances, but when it comes down to my daughter's future I'm happy to pay!

Original post by Ecosse_14
Hopefully the school will be willing to submit a marking review. It will need to be done by the end of this month. Let us know how she gets on :smile:

A number of students not doing as well as expected who are all in the one class can happen from time to time and can be down to a number of factors - potentially the teacher not having the best judgement or something being missing from the teaching.
Hi just to let you know that my daughter's school has agreed (they actually suggested it!) to request a marking review of her Higher Graphic Communication as she was a C5 pass which I believe is closer to a B grade. We're not holding much hope as her Head did say that it's very rare now for someone to get their mark upgraded, but fingers crossed you never know!
Reply 6
Hi guys,
I know this is the A-level forum, but I couldn't find the Advanced Higher one, and the question is quite general. I got a B in Adv Higher Chemistry, I need 5 marks to get an A and i am 7 marks off a C, do u reckon its worth asking for a remark provided there is a risk I could go down to a C, which would be a diaster. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Littleannie24
Hi just to let you know that my daughter's school has agreed (they actually suggested it!) to request a marking review of her Higher Graphic Communication as she was a C5 pass which I believe is closer to a B grade. We're not holding much hope as her Head did say that it's very rare now for someone to get their mark upgraded, but fingers crossed you never know!

Good to hear they suggested a marking review. Yes, a C5 is basically just the "better" half of a C grade, meaning your daughter was closer to a B than she was a D. It's not unknown or very rare for grades to be upgraded, but it is impossible to tell the likelihood of it being upgraded. I think in the vast majority of cases there is no change as the paper was marked correctly first time round. Let us know the outcome when it comes through :smile:

Original post by PND98
Hi guys,
I know this is the A-level forum, but I couldn't find the Advanced Higher one, and the question is quite general. I got a B in Adv Higher Chemistry, I need 5 marks to get an A and i am 7 marks off a C, do u reckon its worth asking for a remark provided there is a risk I could go down to a C, which would be a diaster. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

This isn't the A Level forum, it's Scottish Qualifications :smile: I think you're best speaking to your school about this and see what they suggest. I imagine it would be unlikely that the SQA were that wrong that you'd go up by 5 or more marks but let us know what you/your school decide to do.
Reply 8
Original post by Ecosse_14
Good to hear they suggested a marking review. Yes, a C5 is basically just the "better" half of a C grade, meaning your daughter was closer to a B than she was a D. It's not unknown or very rare for grades to be upgraded, but it is impossible to tell the likelihood of it being upgraded. I think in the vast majority of cases there is no change as the paper was marked correctly first time round. Let us know the outcome when it comes through :smile:

Hi,

This isn't the A Level forum, it's Scottish Qualifications :smile: I think you're best speaking to your school about this and see what they suggest. I imagine it would be unlikely that the SQA were that wrong that you'd go up by 5 or more marks but let us know what you/your school decide to do.

They advised me to ask for a remark, as my chemistry teacher said that I should get 4 extra marks in my investigation.
This thread has been reactivated for 2017 :bl:

Good luck everyone

:jumphug:
Reply 10
I am in the same situation with my daughter questioning a marking review - She got a C for her Higher History exam but got an A (77%) for her prelim so is a bit perplexed by it all as she felt the exam went well. Has anyone ever had a successful marking review? Just trying to decide if this process is futile and if we would be better trying to move forward.
Same here. A for Chemistry all year including 2 prelims but B on results day. Disaster because was going to apply for medicine.
Original post by Mazypan
Same here. A for Chemistry all year including 2 prelims but B on results day. Disaster because was going to apply for medicine.

Don't worry, most people I know we're predicted A and obtained B and C in Chemistry as the bounderies were boosted to 75% for A. How did u do overall your exams? And are you still going to apply?
AAAAB overall. The B for chemistry means I can only realistically apply for Aberdeen and Dundee though.
Ok..found out I got 74.2% for chemistry and needed 75% for an A 🙁🙁🙁 only 1 mark short!!
Going for the remark but not holding my breath. Anyone ever had chemistry upgraded on a remark?
Reply 15
Posted from TSR Mobile

That is annoying. Hoping your remark goes well!
Reply 16
Original post by Mazypan
Ok..found out I got 74.2% for chemistry and needed 75% for an A 🙁🙁🙁 only 1 mark short!!
Going for the remark but not holding my breath. Anyone ever had chemistry upgraded on a remark?

I haven't heard of many upgrades with this new remarking system but surely they could find at least a mark.....How do you know that an A was 75% Have the grade boundaries been released yet? We don't go back to school until Thursday 😫
Original post by Mazypan

Hi
There was a girl in my school who got a B remarked to an A last year in higher chemistry(they also got a remark for their B in higher English which came back unchanged), so although the chances are quite slim (most grades come back unchanged), there is a chance, so you are as well giving it a shot! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by CJB1A
I haven't heard of many upgrades with this new remarking system but surely they could find at least a mark.....How do you know that an A was 75% Have the grade boundaries been released yet? We don't go back to school until Thursday 😫

Hi
Grade boundaries were released on results day and can be found at
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiYy77xj9rVAhXqC8AKHcsuD3UQFgg5MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sqa.org.uk%2Fsqa%2Ffiles_ccc%2FGrade_Boundaries_2017.xls&usg=AFQjCNG9FmclHjwdwOrILRPCOn477uUamQ
Original post by Labrador99
Hi
There was a girl in my school who got a B remarked to an A last year in higher chemistry(they also got a remark for their B in higher English which came back unchanged), so although the chances are quite slim (most grades come back unchanged), there is a chance, so you are as well giving it a shot! Best of luck :smile:

Thanks that gives met hope

Latest