Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What is your academic score?
    20/27 points
    2.98%
    21/27 points
    2.98%
    22/27 points
    3.57%
    23/27 points
    4.76%
    24/27 points
    10.12%
    25/27 points
    11.31%
    26/27 points
    23.21%
    27/27 points
    41.07%

ReputationRep:
    Name:  images.png
Views: 1173
Size:  4.4 KB

As it is fast approaching the next admissions cycle I thought now is the right time to begin a new thread for all potential applicants to Cardiff University Medical School (A100, A104 and A101) for 2017 entry. Hopefully this will allow everyone a chance to discuss applications and ask questions to the small number of current Cardiff medical students which can be found lurking on these forums from time to time (myself an futuremedic19 are both second years as of september).
    Below is some very useful information regarding all things Cardiff medicine as well as some more general information about the university, all of which can be found on the various relevant pages of Cardiff's website and Cardiff's School of Medicine website.

Admissions policy and entrance requirements.
    The admissions policy for 2017-2018 entry to medicine at Cardiff can be found here. An FAQ section can also be found here.
    All the information regarding entry requirements can be found within the admissions policy, but for simplicity (and the lazy among us) I have condensed the useful information below (open the spoiler and all will be revealed)...

Academic entrance requirements:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    GCSE:minimum requirements of grades B in English Language and Mathematics. Minimum requirements of AA in double award science or AAB in separate award science. Certified GCSE resits will only be considering if they are completed within 12 months of the first sit. A-levels: AAAc including chemistry and biology. Further maths is not recognised past AS levels, nor is critical thinking, but general studies is not accepted at all. Any college who cannot offer 3 A2 levels and one AS level are required to declare this in the UCAS reference to prevent disadvantage. Cardiff will consider module resits within the 2 year A level period, but resits outside of this period will only be considered if extenuating circumstances are provided.
    Achieved A2 levels: This year Cardiff are scoring achieved A2s on a scale the same as that for GCSE. You firsly must meet the minimum of AAA in biology and chemistry if taken to A2 level, but from there Alevel achieved grades are scored at A* is 3 points and an A is 2 points, anything lower than a A grade will not be scored.
    Scottish qualifications: AAAAA grades in Scottish Highers to include chemistry, physics and biology for entry to A104 (6 year foundation programmes). Applicants with AA in advanced Highers to include chemistry can be considered for A100.Irish qualifications: entry is only available to A104 with applicants offering 6 subjects AAAAAA at higher level to include chemistry and biology. Maths and English language must be passed to at least a B at standard level.European baccalaureate: a final overall mark of at least 85% including individual grades of at least 8.5 in biology and chemistry in year 7 for A100. Year 6 marks are recommended to be put on the UCAS application. Predicted grades are not taken into account.
    Graduate applicants: all graduates should have achieved the minimum GCSE requirements in maths and English as well as A levels of ABB. They must also have or be in their final year on course to achieving an upper second or first class honours degree. More specific information is found on the website (link is below) and the GAMSAT is required with an overall score of 57 (minimum of 55 in science components).More information on the general entrance requirements for other students outside of the ones shown above (international applicants and mature students) can be found on the website or by emailing the admissions department.
    UKCAT:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    All undergrad applicants (other than those exempt) are required to take the UKCAT during the July-October of their year of application (so 2016). There is no minimum UKCAT threshold, it is mainly used post interview to decide between candidates with similar interview performance.Graduates are required to sit the GAMSAT prior to applying and the minimum requirement is an overall score of 57 with a minimum of 55 in the science components. Graduates are not required to sit the UKCAT.
    Non-academic:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The medical school expects are applications to demonstrate through personal statement and interview evidence of:
    - Motivation and interest to study medicine.
    - Understanding the demands of medical training.
    - A caring ethos and a sense of social awareness and responsibility.
    - Evidence of a balanced approach to life.
    - Interpersonal and communication skills.
    The selection process: Pre-interview.
    The schools admissions process once they have received your UCAS application can be found in the spoiler below.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Academic requirements:Applicants must meet the minimum academic requirements, after this the remaining applications are ranked according to their GCSEs (and achieved A2 levels if you are not applying in year 13).The best 9 GCSEs are ranked and this must include Maths, English Language and science (either dual or separate) plus the best remaining GCSE grades achieved to total 9 (short courses, BTECS, additional or further maths, applied sciences, NVQs or the welsh Bac are all excluded from the ranking system. GCSEs are ranked as A* = 3 points, A = 2 points and a B = 1 point to form a total score out of 27 points. Achieved A2 levels: This year Cardiff are scoring achieved A2s on a scale the same as that for GCSE. You firsly must meet the minimum of AAA in biology and chemistry if taken to A2 level, but from there Alevel achieved grades are scored at A* is 3 points and an A is 2 points, anything lower than a A grade will not be scored. This means applicants who have lower GCSE profiles than normally competitive may now have a more competitive score once achieved A2 grades are factored in. Once the academic ranking is complete a cut-off score out of 27 is decided, anyone above that cut off will progress onto assessment of non-academic requirements and if this is satisfactory be granted an Interview at the medical school. The cut-off score changes from one cycle to another as it depends on the standard of the applicants that year (known as the cohort effect). Cardiff say that 5a* grades is competitive but as applicant standards vary each year it is hard to say what is competative and what is not before the 15th of october, so keep in mind this score fluctuates.Non-academic requirements: candidates who score above the cut off score are assessed on non-academic criteria via their personal statement and referees report and if this is of good quality they will be invited to interview.
    the top X% of candidates (depending on how many will be interviewed) in terms of the academic (remember this may be adjusted if contextual data is applied, contact the medical school for more detail) will be invited to interview. if you are not successful at gaining an interview then you will be notified.
    until all applications are in the % of candidates being interviewed will not be known, based on previous ywill likely be the top 3rd of scores but this is not set in stone and could easily changed depending on the standard of the cohort.
    Welsh students:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This information is taken directly from an email I received from a medical admissions officer at Cardiff university, for more details on how this applies to you personally please email or call admissions to discuss it at length.
    Welsh students are treated in accordance with the contextual admissions policy which is stated below:
    "Cardiff university is committed to widening access and welcomes applications from students of all backgrounds. the academic and non-academic attainment of a candidate will be reviewed against socio-economic and educational background to provide admissions tutors with a more complete overview of an applicants attainment and potential. the school may include welsh culture, society and welsh language qualifications as part of this assessment criteria. the school will consider this information in deciding whether or not to call a candidate for interview, it will not be used to make lower or differential offers."
    IN SUMMARY:
    If you are a welsh applicant you may fall under this policy of contextual data, hence at application (pre-interview) stage the school of medicine will give 2 extra points to the candidate in relation to their background of 'welsh culture, society and welsh language qualifications" - BE AWARE this may not apply to every welsh candidate applying for admission to Cardiff medical school, each case is dealt with on an individual basis and so it is in your best interests to contact the medical school about your situation rather than assuming you fall under this criteria.
    it is also important to note that applicants from outside of wales will also have their academic and non-academic qualifications reviewed against socio-economic and education background, hence the contextual data is also used with applicants from other countries.
    The selection process: Interview.
    No offers are made without an interview, and interviews are offered to applicants who have the highest academic rankings for the year of entry.
    For 2017 applicants will attend an MMI style interview consisting of 10 stations (each lasting 6 minutes), these will take place over a 3 week period:
    30 November 2016 - 14 December 2016 AND 18 January 2017 - 25 January 2017
    Interview invites will be sent via email which will link applicants to an online booking system. In fairness to all candidates no offers will be given out until all the interviews have been conducted.

As a guide Cardiff in 2015 received approximately 3,500 applications for 309 places, roughly 1,500 of these applicants were invited to interview.

The course: C21
    Cardiff will be entering its 5th year of the new C21 course when you will be starting in september 2017. Information about the course structure can be found here, and a video about the course can be found here.
    As a general run down Cardiff university use an integrated CBL style medicine course which features:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - Full body anatomical dissection.
    - small number of lectures supplemented with labs, dissection, small group tutorial session and case based learning session as well as clinical skills sessions to deliver the course.
    - Placements from year 1 in primary care and from year 3 in hospital medicine (patient contact begins in january of year 1)
    - CBL style learning (self directed within a study group of 10 students plus a tutor) where learning is focussed on clinical scenarios following specific diseases processes or body systems.
    - harmonisation year in year 5 which allows students to develop their skills alongside junior doctors to ready them for foundation training.
    - if you graduate and remain in wales, your senior student placement (last clinical placement at cardiff) will be with the team you will begin your foundation training with.
    For anyone looking to see what the CBL course is like from a students perspective, I have a blog post on this over on my blog.

I hope this information is useful and can get you started if your thinking of applying to medicine at Cardiff University.
    Sorry to be a bug bear but as a rule of thumb from here on out, no discussion of interview questions or general topics is permitted on this thread, it is not fair to fellow applicants and will not be tolerated.

Contact information for Cardiff medical school can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    Woooooo
    Absolutely adored Cardiff at the Medical Open Day - will definitely be applying this September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlanda)
    Woooooo
    Absolutely adored Cardiff at the Medical Open Day - will definitely be applying this September
    Glad to hear it! Hoping all is well with your application thus far!

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to apply here but can't because as a Scottish applicant I only have AAAAB at higher sadly. And a low UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneAfrica)
    Wanted to apply here but can't because as a Scottish applicant I only have AAAAB at higher sadly. And a low UKCAT.
    Sorry to hear that, no idea how the scoring works for scottish applicants but you could always contact admissions via email.

Unfortunately Cardiffs academic cut off is very strict once set each year, and it makes it a very academically heavy medical school. Good luck with your applications.

ReputationRep:
    Are we able to find out what the academic cut off score is for 2017 entry? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella909)
    Are we able to find out what the academic cut off score is for 2017 entry? Thanks!
    No I am afraid this will not be set until after everyone has applied, it totally depends on the applicants for that year. It does state clearly in the admissions policy that it will not be set until after october 15th.

for 2015 and 2016 entry the cut off score has been 26/27 for an interview. It also depends on how many people they can interview this year as it is now MMI style.
    The reason why the cut off is so high is because it is one of the most popular medical schools in the UK currently, many people apply here as most medical applicants have very strong GCSEs and because Cardiff use the UKCAT only in certain occasions after interview it means that people with lower UKCATs apply here.

Absolutely no clue on what the cut off will be this year im afraid, the MMI interviews may allow more people to be interviewed or they may allow less people to be interviewed causing the cut off to shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    No I am afraid this will not be set until after everyone has applied, it totally depends on the applicants for that year. It does state clearly in the admissions policy that it will not be set until after october 15th.

for 2015 and 2016 entry the cut off score has been 26/27 for an interview, a couple of applicants gained an interview with 25/27 because they had amazing personal statements. It also depends on how many people they can interview this year as it is now MMI style.
    The reason why the cut off is so high is because it is one of the most popular medical schools in the UK currently, many people apply here as most medical applicants have very strong GCSEs and because Cardiff use the UKCAT only in certain occasions after interview it means that people with lower UKCATs apply here.

Absolutely no clue on what the cut off will be this year im afraid, the MMI interviews may allow more people to be interviewed or they may allow less people to be interviewed causing the cut off to shift.
    Oh right I see, thanks

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested in finding out a little more about the curriculum at Cardiff as a medical student, I just wrote a blog post about what it is like to study under the CBL curriculum. Its a great read if your interested in what CBL at Cardiff will actually be like from a students perspective.
    Link to blog post: https://natalierm2707futuredoctorblo...bl-curriculum/

ReputationRep:
    x
    This is a brilliant thread - very helpful indeed!

I was just wondering, do you think there's any possibility of the GCSE cut off being increased further to 27/27 points for 2017 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    This is a brilliant thread - very helpful indeed!

I was just wondering, do you think there's any possibility of the GCSE cut off being increased further to 27/27 points for 2017 entry?
    Thankyou very much!

I am unsure really, it has never been 27/27 but we cant rule it out, i personally wouldn't hesitate applying with 26/27 though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm trying to understand the GCSE point system. So is 7A*s and 3 As a 27/27?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Hello. I'm trying to understand the GCSE point system. So is 7A*s and 3 As a 27/27?
    No an A* is worth 3 points, an A is worth 2 and the score works by including your 9 best GCSE grades to include english language, maths and the three sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No an A* is worth 3 points, an A is worth 2 and the score works by including your 9 best GCSE grades to include english language, maths and the three sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see, thanks! So I would get a 25. Do you think that there is a point in applying to Cardiff then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    I see, thanks! So I would get a 25. Do you think that there is a point in applying to Cardiff then?
    25 is one below the past two years cutoffs. If you really love cardiff it may be worth having it down as a riskier choice because some people get interviews with 25 each year even when the cut off is 26.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also love everything about the uni, including their languages for all programme and the city...of course! Can't wait to apply.

On the open day they mentioned that some medical students are sent well up north for their placements but is this common? If you had to give a rough percentage of students who would need to move out of the city for their placement what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    I also love everything about the uni, including their languages for all programme and the city...of course! Can't wait to apply.

On the open day they mentioned that some medical students are sent well up north for their placements but is this common? If you had to give a rough percentage of students who would need to move out of the city for their placement what would it be?
    Everyone at some point will have a 5/8 week placement in wrexham, rhyl or bangor but the uni provide accommodation for you. So 99% of people will end up doing one placement in the north.
    The majority of placements are outside of cardiff as it has teaching hospitals in many different towns and cities throughout wales. Even in first year i was based in bridgend but the uni put on transport for you in years 1 and 2 and for some year 3 placements and will often reimburse travel if they cannot provide it.

I personally love this aspect of the course, travelling to different NHS trusts and hospitals opens the door to so many oppurtunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone at some point will have a 5/8 week placement in wrexham, rhyl or bangor but the uni provide accommodation for you. So 99% of people will end up doing one placement in the north.
    The majority of placements are outside of cardiff as it has teaching hospitals in many different towns and cities throughout wales. Even in first year i was based in bridgend but the uni put on transport for you in years 1 and 2 and for some year 3 placements and will often reimburse travel if they cannot provide it.

I personally love this aspect of the course, travelling to different NHS trusts and hospitals opens the door to so many oppurtunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh, that does sound quite exciting actually. What is the uni accommodation like at Cardiff? Take, for example, the halls closest to the medical school: is it close the centre of town? Are you placed with other medical students? etc ..fill me in haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    Yh, that does sound quite exciting actually. What is the uni accommodation like at Cardiff? Take, for example, the halls closest to the medical school: is it close the centre of town? Are you placed with other medical students? etc ..fill me in haha.
    Well Cardiff's medical school is based on heath park campus, this is about 1-1.2 miles away from cathays campus (which has every other subject pretty much), but you will also spend time (especially for research and anatomy teaching) down at biosciences in cathays, hence it is usually better to stay at accomodation in between the two.

Talybont is cardiffs accommodation village based a 10-15 minute walk from the SU and a 25 minute walk from heath park. It is also around a 30 minute walk into the main town centre and a 5-10 minute walk from maccies, a KFC and a MASSIVE tesco. Their is also a smaller tesco as well as a sports centre and social club in taly/right nextdoor.
    Talybont is made up of 4 accomodation blocks which each vary in style, size and price right from high £3000s per year to £5000 per year. All are ensuite

Other options include:
    Uni halls: very far out but a big complex which has a free bus to both campuses and most are ensuite.
    Liberty hall: more expensive option right next to heath park
    There are also loads of different options near cathays (google cardiff accommodation)

Most medics can be found in Talybont but there are a lot of us spread in all accommodation blocks. You are not placed with other medics no its random, but there will usually be one very close by.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well Cardiff's medical school is based on heath park campus, this is about 1-1.2 miles away from cathays campus (which has every other subject pretty much), but you will also spend time (especially for research and anatomy teaching) down at biosciences in cathays, hence it is usually better to stay at accomodation in between the two.

Talybont is cardiffs accommodation village based a 10-15 minute walk from the SU and a 25 minute walk from heath park. It is also around a 30 minute walk into the main town centre and a 5-10 minute walk from maccies, a KFC and a MASSIVE tesco. Their is also a smaller tesco as well as a sports centre and social club in taly/right nextdoor.
    Talybont is made up of 4 accomodation blocks which each vary in style, size and price right from high £3000s per year to £5000 per year. All are ensuite

Other options include:
    Uni halls: very far out but a big complex which has a free bus to both campuses and most are ensuite.
    Liberty hall: more expensive option right next to heath park
    There are also loads of different options near cathays (google cardiff accommodation)

Most medics can be found in Talybont but there are a lot of us spread in all accommodation blocks. You are not placed with other medics no its random, but there will usually be one very close by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Coool, yh I've just looked over a lot of the halls on the site and they all look good. Hopefully, if I get in I'll apply for a place in the Talybont complex but I'm assuming it may be quite competitive to get a room? If it is, is it first-come-first-serve?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.