The Student Room Group

Last minute offer through clearing - but due a baby in October

Hello, unusual query.

I am due to have a baby at the end of October/beginning of November. While on maternity leave (I've started early, long story) I've been looking into courses I'd like to do when I complete my maternity leave. I already have a degree in Education and a PGCE, but that wasn't right for me and I didn't get QTS. I've since become interested in nutrition, so I called my local university to see what qualifications I'd need to do that in the future.

They ended up sending me an offer for September via email... I couldn't possibly accept could I? Has anyone else done something similar? For background info, my fiancé is in the final year of his studies at the same university, and I will not have a job to return to when the baby is born. We do luckily have access to free childcare. My course involves a foundation year, so the first year is at level 3 standard.

If I were to accept this year, my course fees would be paid and I would receive the NHS bursary. If I applied next year, I would possibly have access to loans but I'd have to pay these back eventually. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alabelle
Hello, unusual query.

I am due to have a baby at the end of October/beginning of November. While on maternity leave (I've started early, long story) I've been looking into courses I'd like to do when I complete my maternity leave. I already have a degree in Education and a PGCE, but that wasn't right for me and I didn't get QTS. I've since become interested in nutrition, so I called my local university to see what qualifications I'd need to do that in the future.

They ended up sending me an offer for September via email... I couldn't possibly accept could I? Has anyone else done something similar? For background info, my fiancé is in the final year of his studies at the same university, and I will not have a job to return to when the baby is born. We do luckily have access to free childcare. My course involves a foundation year, so the first year is at level 3 standard.

If I were to accept this year, my course fees would be paid and I would receive the NHS bursary. If I applied next year, I would possibly have access to loans but I'd have to pay these back eventually. *

Well congratulations on the baby!

There is a few things to do although, this is not my expertise.

You could try and go for part-time studying if that's something you could look into? You would need money to support yourself though, but I'm thinking you'll be studying to come home to your baby, rather than trying to get a job?

The other thing you could look into is looking for family accommodation for your chosen uni. You'd be surprised how this is becoming a popular thing at many unis. These special accommodations are out of the way from noisy Freshers and so forth. So you could look into this and see what happens. Have you applied/spoken to Student Finance and the University? You don't have to give your name or anything but phone the accommodation center and ask what their policies are or if they have special accommodation to house a pregnant woman/new born baby.

Following this, I would then speak to the admissions team for your subject on what are their rules and regulations for part-timers and how much you have to pay e.g how is tuition paid for and so forth.

Have a sit down with your partner and share whatever you find from the above and then plan your next steps accordingly.

Good luck! :flutter:
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well congratulations on the baby!

There is a few things to do although, this is not my expertise.

You could try and go for part-time studying if that's something you could look into? You would need money to support yourself though, but I'm thinking you'll be studying to come home to your baby, rather than trying to get a job?

The other thing you could look into is looking for family accommodation for your chosen uni. You'd be surprised how this is becoming a popular thing at many unis. These special accommodations are out of the way from noisy Freshers and so forth. So you could look into this and see what happens. Have you applied/spoken to Student Finance and the University? You don't have to give your name or anything but phone the accommodation center and ask what their policies are or if they have special accommodation to house a pregnant woman/new born baby.

Following this, I would then speak to the admissions team for your subject on what are their rules and regulations for part-timers and how much you have to pay e.g how is tuition paid for and so forth.

Have a sit down with your partner and share whatever you find from the above and then plan your next steps accordingly.

Good luck! :flutter:

Thank you for reading :smile: The first year of the course is not available part time, sadly :frown:

Our funding would not be much different either way. We would either be living off his student loans and my student bursary, or his student loans and child support etc. I don't currently have a job and my role is so low paid that I wouldn't be any better off financially.

We luckily live in a very cheap area where our three bedroom house is no more expensive than the student accommodation at our local university. The course is NHS funded for this year so I wouldn't pay any tuition fees, but this stops next year so I couldn't just defer. *

I will definitely call admissions tomorrow for advice :smile: I have until the end of the week to respond to their offer.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply