Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing spanish as one of my a levels (aswell as maths, economics, history and maybe further maths AS)

i am very good at spanish at gcse, but was just wondering how it is at a level. also i am just as good at french but decided not to do both languages in order to have more variety. is french much different to spanish in terms of difficulty, if you are equally good at both. i know it's a hard question to answer but any input would be helpful.

thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Of course not, it's the same thing, just in a different language, and the Spanish and French languages themselves are very similar in terms of difficulty. The only thing that might change is the literature in the second year. Spanish at A-level is something you'll have to find out for yourself - no matter how many personal opinions you get here, what you experience next year will be unique to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I found Spanish GCSE not much of a step up from AS-level and I had got 72/80 in a past paper in the first week of class... but a lot of people in my class found it very hard - even one who had A* at GCSE was getting Cs or Ds. This may not be due to the subject (knowing some of these people, a post-GCSE lack of commitment may have been a factor), but I'd recommend you look at past papers and borrow some past listening cassettes from your Spanish department to look for yourself. I was expecting the listening to be really fast but it was actually quite slow, but I am not in a position to dictate. I hope you make a good choice!

ReputationRep:
    It is good that in listening you can control the tape yourself by rewinding it and forwarding however you please.

ReputationRep:
    Very similar difficulty I hear. The specifications for each on AQA are exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much the advice is very useful! also one other thing, i don't know what book we would be studying for the lit paper but from your own experiences was the spanish lit fine? and was the french lit harder/ easier?

ReputationRep:
    We do coursework, I hear the Literature paper is much harder.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, from my own experiences I would say Spanish is far easier than French. That being said however, French is much more fun and challenging.... but hey thats just my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do Spanish at A-level, so I can't comment on that, but if it's similar to French, which I imagine it is because the languages themselves are very similar and the A-level specifications are the same if they're on the same exam board, it is a very big step up from GCSE to AS. You have to think more in the listening and reading papers and give your own answers rather than just ticking boxes or copying word for word, the listening goes at a much faster speed and you have to be more spontaneous in the oral. However, the writing isn't much harder, at least on Edexcel, you control the listening tape yourself, so you can pause, rewind and replay whenever you want and, again on Edexcel, you only speak on one topic which you prepare in advance. The topics are much more sophisticated and there's qute a bit more vocab, but not much more grammar. It's much more interesting and rewarding than GCSE because of the new topics and higher level. If you get at least an A, but preferably an A*, at GCSE and you put the work in, you'll get used to the step up quickly and should do well. I really can't imagine there being any difference in difficulty between French and Spanish though, so just go for whichever you'd prefer.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.