Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive just started my degree in Psychology and I've done my first few assignments but can't seem to get an answer to my question...or get people to agree on one answer!

Ive written about for example the foot in the door technique.
    Ive cited the 'creators' Freedman & Fraser, 1966 and referenced them.

Now, in order to gain a better understanding of the concept I've looked at and read various websites.
    Ive then written this section of the essay in my own words.

Do i have to reference these websites? Even though I've not quoted them in the essa and just used them to understand the topicy? We also don't have bibliographies in these essays either.

I'm getting my head around this study lark but referencing is still a confusing area!

Thank you in advance.
    Wes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wes1978)
    Hi, Ive just started my degree in Psychology degree and I've done my first few assignments but can't seem to get an answer to my question...or get people to agree on one answer!

Ive written about for example the foot int he door technique.
    Ive cited the 'creators' Freedman & Fraser, 1966 and referenced them.

Now, in order to gain a better understand of the concept I've looked at and read various websites. Ive then written this section of the essay in my own words.

Do i have to reference these websites? Even though I've not quoted them in the essa and just used them to understand the topicy? We also don't have bibliographies in these essays either.

I'm getting my head around this study lark but referencing is still a confusing area!

Thank you in advance.
    Wes
    u only use referencing if ur taking a quote from that author/book/website etc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It depends - did you only read them for background info or have you included the info from those websites in your assignment?

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say as I've read info from books and three or four websites and just written in my own words my understanding of the subject. So yes and no I guess. No direct quotes but maybe some phrases but nothing major
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Almost anything you write in an essay needs to have a reference

ReputationRep:
    I cannot stress this enough- go into uni, they will have study skills support, make an appointment, they will gladly help you, and talk through any ones you aren't sure. They are there to help and I was told people can struggle with referencing even at the highest level, when they have been doing it for years!

I was godawful at referencing and my first few assignments lost marks for that silly reason. Seeing study support was the best thing I ever did. Each uni may follow their own referencing policy system, and have their own specific policy, but there are some general guides you can use.

If you can't see anyone- give this a try, for harvard referencing, go down to the expandable tabs, click on webpage, copy the format then replace all the sections with the correct information about your source.

http://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/refguide/mmuharvard

ReputationRep:
    If you use information in an essay (not just quotes), so even if you re-word it. A reference is required.

Secondly, makes sure you are referencing in the correct format. I am a MMU student and we use harvard, H011aaa has added our referencing guide. Its good for the basics (books, chapters, websites, journals etc) but it doesn't include the tricky ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.