Wes1978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, Ive just started my degree in Psychology and I've done my first few assignments but can't seem to get an answer to my question...or get people to agree on one answer!

Ive written about for example the foot in the door technique.
Ive cited the 'creators' Freedman & Fraser, 1966 and referenced them.

Now, in order to gain a better understanding of the concept I've looked at and read various websites.
Ive then written this section of the essay in my own words.

Do i have to reference these websites? Even though I've not quoted them in the essa and just used them to understand the topicy? We also don't have bibliographies in these essays either.

I'm getting my head around this study lark but referencing is still a confusing area!

Thank you in advance.
Wes
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wes1978)
Hi, Ive just started my degree in Psychology degree and I've done my first few assignments but can't seem to get an answer to my question...or get people to agree on one answer!

Ive written about for example the foot int he door technique.
Ive cited the 'creators' Freedman & Fraser, 1966 and referenced them.

Now, in order to gain a better understand of the concept I've looked at and read various websites. Ive then written this section of the essay in my own words.

Do i have to reference these websites? Even though I've not quoted them in the essa and just used them to understand the topicy? We also don't have bibliographies in these essays either.

I'm getting my head around this study lark but referencing is still a confusing area!

Thank you in advance.
Wes
u only use referencing if ur taking a quote from that author/book/website etc
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends - did you only read them for background info or have you included the info from those websites in your assignment?
Wes1978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hard to say as I've read info from books and three or four websites and just written in my own words my understanding of the subject. So yes and no I guess. No direct quotes but maybe some phrases but nothing major
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Almost anything you write in an essay needs to have a reference
H011aaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I cannot stress this enough- go into uni, they will have study skills support, make an appointment, they will gladly help you, and talk through any ones you aren't sure. They are there to help and I was told people can struggle with referencing even at the highest level, when they have been doing it for years!

I was godawful at referencing and my first few assignments lost marks for that silly reason. Seeing study support was the best thing I ever did. Each uni may follow their own referencing policy system, and have their own specific policy, but there are some general guides you can use.

If you can't see anyone- give this a try, for harvard referencing, go down to the expandable tabs, click on webpage, copy the format then replace all the sections with the correct information about your source.

http://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/refguide/mmuharvard
natalie427
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you use information in an essay (not just quotes), so even if you re-word it. A reference is required.

Secondly, makes sure you are referencing in the correct format. I am a MMU student and we use harvard, H011aaa has added our referencing guide. Its good for the basics (books, chapters, websites, journals etc) but it doesn't include the tricky ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads