Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got referred to the general surgery upper GI clinic last year about my chronic reflux problem. Then I got referred on from there to gastroenterology for some tests the general surgeon recommended.

Anyhow, had the tests at end of March, got a follow up appointment with the general surgeon around mid-May, only to get there and find the results of the tests hadn't been put into my clinic notes (it is run at one hospital by the team at another nearby hospital). The general surgeon was very apologetic and cross on my behalf and promised to chase them up. Got an appointment a few days later for gastroenterology-assumed at the time the general surgeon had chased them up and that was the reason for the appointment as I hadn't had a letter, just a call to let me know about it, but they didn't have the test results either, apparently because there is only one guy at this hospital who looks at these results and he is semi-retired and only comes in one day a week, so there is a massive backlog (ridiculous!!).

Neither the gastroenterologist or general surgeon can make any recommendations for next steps until they have the results of these tests so both put me on hold for a next appointment until they appeared. But it is now August, and I am still waiting for an appointment (with my reflux currently getting worse and more constant...).

Was pragmatic to begin with-these things happen-but getting pretty annoyed now. I'm not sure who I should be contacting to find out what's going on. My GP? The hospital (and if so, who?? Two different departments, neither of which seem to communicate with each other well...) Just want something to happen towards sorting my ever present reflux out...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I got referred to the general surgery upper GI clinic last year about my chronic reflux problem. Then I got referred on from there to gastroenterology for some tests the general surgeon recommended.

Anyhow, had the tests at end of March, got a follow up appointment with the general surgeon around mid-May, only to get there and find the results of the tests hadn't been put into my clinic notes (it is run at one hospital by the team at another nearby hospital). The general surgeon was very apologetic and cross on my behalf and promised to chase them up. Got an appointment a few days later for gastroenterology-assumed at the time the general surgeon had chased them up and that was the reason for the appointment as I hadn't had a letter, just a call to let me know about it, but they didn't have the test results either, apparently because there is only one guy at this hospital who looks at these results and he is semi-retired and only comes in one day a week, so there is a massive backlog (ridiculous!!).

Neither the gastroenterologist or general surgeon can make any recommendations for next steps until they have the results of these tests so both put me on hold for a next appointment until they appeared. But it is now August, and I am still waiting for an appointment (with my reflux currently getting worse and more constant...).

Was pragmatic to begin with-these things happen-but getting pretty annoyed now. I'm not sure who I should be contacting to find out what's going on. My GP? The hospital (and if so, who?? Two different departments, neither of which seem to communicate with each other well...) Just want something to happen towards sorting my ever present reflux out...
    Try your gp first and then maybe complain to a patient liaison service if the hospital has one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by heidigirl)

Sadly this is a common problem in the NHS.

I second Claire's suggestion about contacting PALS, they're often the best at sorting out complaints such as this. But also get in touch with both consultants' secretaries. They can check whether test results are in your notes, chase them if need be, and hopefully squeeze you in somewhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.