Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think about what I'd like to go into in the future. It is early days but I'd still like to do my research etc. I'm leaning towards a&e. What sort of shifts on average do a&e nurses do? I've been told they are starting to bring in a&e nurses prescribing....even more pressure! So I'd probably have to arrange my own prescribing course which is like 6 months on top of my degree. Are they still band 5s? Any info would be helpful! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Our ED do the same 12.5 hour shifts as our wards. They do also do twilight shifts which I think are from 2pm to midnight!? (Someone correct me there if I'm wrong!)

The Emergency Nurse Practitioner is a fairly new role. They will independently assess patients and are mainly responsible for seeing minor injuries. Some (if not all) ENPs can prescribe, although the ENP role is a Band 7 so you won't have to worry about a prescribing course early on in your career. I understand the course is very challenging from what Band 7 and 8 friends have told me.

Never too early to research and find something to aim for. Try and get a placement there if you can!

ReputationRep:
    Do you do a stint on A&E during training? I'm starting a Nursing course in September, so I'm curious about what wards you can be assigned to on placements

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    Our ED do the same 12.5 hour shifts as our wards. They do also do twilight shifts which I think are from 2pm to midnight!? (Someone correct me there if I'm wrong!)

The Emergency Nurse Practitioner is a fairly new role. They will independently assess patients and are mainly responsible for seeing minor injuries. Some (if not all) ENPs can prescribe, although the ENP role is a Band 7 so you won't have to worry about a prescribing course early on in your career. I understand the course is very challenging from what Band 7 and 8 friends have told me.

Never too early to research and find something to aim for. Try and get a placement there if you can!
    I have heard about emergency nurse practitioners and prescribing but not fully just yet. Do you know if they have to have a masters? Are they advanced practitioners? I'm going to try and get a spoke there possibly one day on my placement il have to have an ask around. Thankyou! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crankyla)
    Do you do a stint on A&E during training? I'm starting a Nursing course in September, so I'm curious about what wards you can be assigned to on placements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think my trust lets students on a&e. I think they did at one time but not anymore. You could always go and shadow a nurse for a day I suppose but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I have heard about emergency nurse practitioners and prescribing but not fully just yet. Do you know if they have to have a masters? Are they advanced practitioners? I'm going to try and get a spoke there possibly one day on my placement il have to have an ask around. Thankyou! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You apply for an ENP training post, the training (here in brum anyway) is organised through your employer at university and in the workplace. You need a fair bit of A&E experience to get into it, there's a quite a bit of competition for these posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    You apply for an ENP training post, the training (here in brum anyway) is organised through your employer at university and in the workplace. You need a fair bit of A&E experience to get into it, there's a quite a bit of competition for these posts.
    Do you know if qualified nurses can pick up bank on a&e? Or will you need specific training first? Because I know bank may be few and far between on a&e but if they are asking for bank I'm guessing they definitely won't have time to babysit you so it's abit like....how can I get experience? If you know what I mean. I do need just a day shadowing a nurse really

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    Do you know if qualified nurses can pick up bank on a&e? Or will you need specific training first? Because I know bank may be few and far between on a&e but if they are asking for bank I'm guessing they definitely won't have time to babysit you so it's abit like....how can I get experience? If you know what I mean. I do need just a day shadowing a nurse really

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes A+E depts will put shifts out to bank but unless you have A+E experience you are likely to find yourself as a pair of hands who can adminster meds and probably working on the majors side to allow the A+E competencne nurses who are either on the PGDs or are practitioners + prescribers to work in assessment / minors / resus ...

if you want a day shadowing you may be better off asking the Lead Nurse for A+E if you can come and do a day shadowing - it;s then down to your negotiation skills with your current manager on what basis that is done .

prescribing course would come After a Practitioner course as certainly the 'traditional ' ENP model ( minors focused) is often easily covered by PGDs and you'll be picking up various of the skills as part fo the development for A+E staff Nurses ( assessment skills, IR(ME)R , advanced wound closure / local anaesthesia/ foreign bodies etc )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)

I would love to be an ENP but would also love to prescribe do you know if they need a masters degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango65)
    I would love to be an ENP but would also love to prescribe do you know if they need a masters degree?
    having the prescribing qualification goes hand in hand with advanced practice, prescribing is levle 7 award and most advanced practice related academic awards are now level 7 as well.

more andm ore of the band 7 Practitioner roles are designed around independent prescribing .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.