Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Apprenticeship Accomodation

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Having recently been accepted onto an Apprenticeship in Quantity Surveying I've been looking into accommodation. Having found some nice affordable flats on the website "pads for students" I've been unable to find any info regarding the eligibility to live there. I'm due to start on the 22/08/2016 but expect it will take me until December to have the money together for a deposit.

I would be working Mon-Thurs then studying at a College every Friday. The apprenticeship is 2 years with the employer expecting me to go on to achieve my RICS at uni over a 6 year part time course.

What situation am I in? Any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. One flat that I really like is in "Private Halls" just encase that changes things.

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller_J)
    Hi!
    Having recently been accepted onto an Apprenticeship in Quantity Surveying I've been looking into accommodation. Having found some nice affordable flats on the website "pads for students" I've been unable to find any info regarding the eligibility to live there. I'm due to start on the 22/08/2016 but expect it will take me until December to have the money together for a deposit.

I would be working Mon-Thurs then studying at a College every Friday. The apprenticeship is 2 years with the employer expecting me to go on to achieve my RICS at uni over a 6 year part time course.

P.S. One flat that I really like is in "Private Halls" just encase that changes things.

Thank You!
    Most university accommodation requires you to be a full time student, you may want to look into private rents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller_J)
    Hi!

Thank You!
    Private halls are just for university students so I doubt you'd be eligible. Private flats are up to the landlord, but wherever you live you need to pay the deposit before you can move in.

ReputationRep:
    Have you not contacted other people starting or are you the only one? You may be able to find a house share.

You will need to find a way of getting the deposit before you move in.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an apprenticeship and I currently live in a shared house, a bit like a student.

However, I'm sharing with other professionals so its no mad crazy party house. Its a fair way out of town too. I suggest looking on spare rooms for any potental sharing opportunities.

I have been here a year and intend to move to my own place within the next 16 months or so.

ReputationRep:
    Who did you find the apprenticeship with?

ReputationRep:
    I am 16 in June, I am looking to apply for an apprenticeship with a train company in Salisbury even though I live in Plymouth.

What would be my situation with accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    You'll most likely have to find privately rented accommodation. If there's multiple apprentices being taken on, that can be a good place to find people to share with.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.