Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently working on a freshers guide to Lancaster and Lancaster University. The guide is currently a work in progress. Please could any current Lancaster students write a couple of short reviews/tips for freshers so I can put them in the guide.

The guide has 8 main sections. These are:

Accommodation - Hotels, B&Bs, Off Campus Accommodation...
    Drinking & Nights Out - Pubs, Clubs, Venues...
    The Essentials - Dentists, Doctors, Hair, Opticians...
    Shopping - Clothes, Computers, Supermarkets, Stationery, Gifts...
    Eating Out - Cafes, Coffee Shops, Restaurants, Take Aways...
    Entertainment - Cinemas, Entertainment, Bowling, Pool Halls...
    Services - Bus, Train, Taxis Banking, Advice & Support...
    Places of Interest - Parks, Museums, Galleries, Local attractions...

The guide will be available online fore everyone to view once finished.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Drinking: Hustle is the best place for cheap cocktails when you have the wristband, if I remember it is 2 for $5 on a monday and double your money tuesday, but don't quote me on that.
    Toast is always good on a tuesday night and on wednesdays a lot of people go to the carleton (and a pre-stop at varsity may be worthwhile- £1 drinks!!!).
    Cuba on friday is always a good laugh as well, though bear in mind it can get exceptionally hot and busy!

Shopping: Don't just use Sainsbury's, go to the markets- on Wednesday there is the outdoor market, though the indoor market is open everyday and can get you great bargains, especially places like the Frozen food store or Half Price or Less! And try smaller local shops e.g. butchers and greeengrocers- can usually get things cheaper and higher quality!

Eating out: Marco's Italian restaurant is simply superb! He serves delicious meals which are absolutely huge at good prices, with student discount as well! Bella Italia is very good as well, same as sphagetti house!

more soon....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will add them now

ReputationRep:
    Entertainment: The Cinema on campus is ok if you want to save money and shows films around 1 or 2 months after they have stopped showing in normal cinemas. However Vue down town is quite good and you can get a student discount, plus use a voucher if you have been there previously to get in for £3.25! Also sneak in your own food for added cheapness!
    Another word- Morecambe. This has a bowling alley, laserquest and is a good day out to the beach as well! It also has many places with free pool if your willing to go that far!
    Also, do a pub crawl round town to the pubs that are not in the highstreet! Can be a good evening, though it is a bit more expensive for drinks.

Services: There are buses running to town from campus around every 10 minutes, costing £1.20 single or £1.90 return. Also, from the front of the uni you can catch buses to Preston and Blackpool (worth getting a day-rider here, cheaper than return fair and all day travel!). Also the train station in town is quite easy to get too and takes around 1 hour to get to manchester- very good for shopping!

Places of interest:
    The Ashton memorial is something everyone should go to for a bit of entertainment, tis a bit or a trek but well worth it.
    Also the castle is good, I think they do the yearly bonfire night there, which is very fun! Also just posing next to the Eric Morecambe (sp?) statue in Morecambe is ideal for a facebook pic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Magic Manatee)
    [ There are buses running to town from campus around every 10 minutes, costing £1.20 single or £1.90 return.

Or £1.30 from South West for a single!

ReputationRep:
    good idea this thread

in my oppinion:
    mon: liquid (there's toast aswell - but i think its abit crap!)
    tues: revolution (but best to get VERY drunk before you go because its quite expensive!)
    wed: the carlton (again get drunk before you go, but only if your can resist the need to go to the loo on the bus ride there!)
    thurs: sugarhouse or lounge
    fri: sugarhouse or cuba
    saturday: sugarhouse
    sunday: pub quiz at one of the campus bars

dunno if anyones interested in joining the OTC ( officer training corps of the territorial army), but we can get pints for £1 and shots for 50p at our bar. if u wanna join just look out for the army geeza's at the freshers fair! not that i'm trying to advertise or anything :p:

ReputationRep:
    Monday: liquid tends to the most popular, there is also toast. walkabout is open as well as keystones, lounge, hustle and other places where you could go for pre drinks before setting off for a club.
    Tuesday: LGBT friendly night at the sugarhouse, revolution, other places to go for pre drinks
    Wednesday: carleton is by far, the most popular for students. liquid is also open but it's st martins student night but if you don't fancy the carleton, it is a great alternative. walkabout, sugarhouse and other bars can be used for pre club drinks.
    thursday: sugarhouse is popular as well as lounge. walkabout is a great place to start drinking. hustle is also open, cuba is a great place to go too. other bars also open.
    friday: it's the start of the weekend so everywhere is open. walkabout, cuba, lounge, sugarhouse, liquid and toast are the most popular.
    saturday: sugaehouse, walkabout, liquid, cuba, lounge are popular.
    sunday: rest day although some places are open.

drink before you go out, this applies to every day at most venues. sugaehouse and carleton are particularly expensive. walkabout and lounge ah and hustle have some good offers.

also note that many places offer free transport home (back to uni). noteabley liquid, sugarhouse and carleton in particular.

other forms of entertainment: cinema, campus one and the one down town.
    bowling, blackpool pleasure beech is a great fun day out.
    shopping: manchester is not far away on train, blackpool is really good too, or closer still, lancaster's city centre isn't all that bad. although i would recommend blackpool or manchester.

buses: great bus links. there seems to be a bus at the under pass every few minutes which is great. the number 3 is the best because it goes straight to town and doesn't go into the surrounding estates.
    the bus to blackpool, the number 42 is an hourly service which can be caught outside the uni gates or there are some off peak services that go into the campus. if you're planning anight out in blackpool, catch the bus there and geta taxi back. taxi will cost around £40. it is expensive but dam well worth it. it's a great night out and make sure there are loads of peeps out to keep the taxi cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the tips so far I am getting all of these down

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Preston- is easy to get to, not as far as manchester or blackpool and is still really good for shops (better than lancs by far!) and good gigs at night.

ReputationRep:
    Essentials - There is a doctor's surgery on campus, plus a pharmacy and a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyl)
    Don't forget Preston- is easy to get to, not as far as manchester or blackpool and is still really good for shops (better than lancs by far!) and good gigs at night.
    It's not always easy to get back from gigs in Preston, though - the last train is annoyingly early.

(Original post by JordanLUFC)
    Essentials - There is a doctor's surgery on campus, plus a pharmacy and a dentist.
    Worth bearing in mind that the dentist isn't an NHS one.

ReputationRep:
    The Essentials - don't forget that the doctors on campus has another surgery in town and there are plenty of pharmacys in town.

Shopping - Preston has a primark! (not too gud tho if ur used to a massive one like the one in manchester, but never the less its a primark!) shoppin in lancaster isnt too bad, it has all the usual girly shops-dorothy perkins, river island, a big new look, monsoon, accessorize, topshop etc. and has plenty of pound shops

Eating Out - iv totally forgotten wot the all u can eat chinese is called in town, where u can hav takeaway too. sum1 mentioned marco's and there is it's 'sister' restaurant verdes. verdes is mega cheap for students! happy hour all the time. and student nites at bella italia are great too

Entertainment - the cinema in lancaster (hidden away lol) is great, just a shame that the bowlin is allllll the way in morecambe and is always busy!!! not been there since freshers week

Services - the buses are fab as everyone els has sed. i get the train an awful lot!! (ie every weekend to and from home) and they r always fine just hav to watch for busy times as they com down from and up to scotland so they get pretty busy. iv found 848848 taxis are great.

Advice and Support - i had a really tough time during my first few weeks and months and i emailed my personal tutor hu turned out to b on leave. so i went to the senior college tutor and she was great she deals with all sorts of things all the time and helped me out loads! i saw her at extrav a few weeks ago not expecting her to remember me and she did and was askin how i was doin etc. its reali easy to talk to the tutors (thats why they are tutors) as long as u let them kno u need to talk. also she got me in touch with a 3rd yr in my college hu had a chat with me too.

Places of Interest - apparently ther is a pottery place near the chinese all u can eat lol. wher u can decorate pots n stuf. sounds fun! williamson park and the ashton memorial is such a nice place, we had a picnic ther this summer. its not too much of a trek if u get the bus to the bowerham hotel.

hope this helps with ur guide!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.