Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not very confident when talking to new people but recently I've been trying so hard to talk to people but people never seem to want to make friends with me or carry on talking to me.

I'm worried that its going to be the same at university and i'll end up spending 3 years without any proper friends. I know there will be a lot of people there but in all the opportunities I've had to make friends, like going to a new college, NCS, youth clubs etc. I haven't made any friends.

ReputationRep:
    who needs friends when they have a brain. you can laugh at jokes that you make to yourself even if they aren't funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not very confident when talking to new people but recently I've been trying so hard to talk to people but people never seem to want to make friends with me or carry on talking to me.I haven't made any friends
    This feels like reading the textbook profile of a TSR member. Welcome on board

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very confident when talking to new people but recently I've been trying so hard to talk to people but people never seem to want to make friends with me or carry on talking to me.

I'm worried that its going to be the same at university and i'll end up spending 3 years without any proper friends. I know there will be a lot of people there but in all the opportunities I've had to make friends, like going to a new college, NCS, youth clubs etc. I haven't made any friends.
    Ive just finnished year 9 and will be in year 10 in September, for some stupid reason over my first year at "high" school I have lost all of my friends and no one has a good reason. Now it is summer and I have nothing to do and no one to see because I have no friends. I mean I have friends but no one close not a bestfriend and it just seems like when people meet eachother in big groups I just get left out and they forget about me, like they talk to me at school (when they have to) but never out of school. I don't know how to spend my summer like I wanted this to be a really good summer but I've lost all my friends which sucks. Any advice?

ReputationRep:

I'll be your friend

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it! Sometimes the best people tend to keep themselves to themselves for the best reasons. It may sound hard, but why not just try and gain confidence with parts of yourself you don't feel keen about? If you portray yourself as a confident person, without being annoying or boasting, people may become your friend! Just don't worry about it or overthink it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that its going to be the same at university
    There is going to be so many people in the same boat as you which should make it easier to make friends. Also there isn't any need to make many friends, so two or three good friends is a lot better than many bad "facebook" friends. So just be you and you will find someone who clicks. Also when you get there find a society that interests you as your more likely to find friends when you've got common interests!

ReputationRep:
    Are you a boy or a girl? X

(Original post by harry_lewisss)
    Ive just finnished year 9 and will be in year 10 in September, for some stupid reason over my first year at "high" school I have lost all of my friends and no one has a good reason. Now it is summer and I have nothing to do and no one to see because I have no friends. I mean I have friends but no one close not a bestfriend and it just seems like when people meet eachother in big groups I just get left out and they forget about me, like they talk to me at school (when they have to) but never out of school. I don't know how to spend my summer like I wanted this to be a really good summer but I've lost all my friends which sucks. Any advice?
    I wish I had some advice but I'm the same as you aha, I suppose next year you should try to make some good, solid friendships with the friends you

(Original post by lalaa64)
    I'll be your friend
    Yay!

(Original post by OliviaBaggaley)
    Don't worry about it! Sometimes the best people tend to keep themselves to themselves for the best reasons. It may sound hard, but why not just try and gain confidence with parts of yourself you don't feel keen about? If you portray yourself as a confident person, without being annoying or boasting, people may become your friend! Just don't worry about it or overthink it.
    I try to portray myself as confident but it must seem so fake and forced

(Original post by smartguy32)
    There is going to be so many people in the same boat as you which should make it easier to make friends. Also there isn't any need to make many friends, so two or three good friends is a lot better than many bad "facebook" friends. So just be you and you will find someone who clicks. Also when you get there find a society that interests you as your more likely to find friends when you've got common interests!
    I hope so but when I moved to a new school nobody knew each other but they all still made friends but I was left out and I'm worried it'll happen again

(Original post by Hannahcarrots999)
    Girl

(Original post by harry_lewisss)
    I wish I had some advice but I'm the same as you aha, I suppose next year you should try to make some good, solid friendships with the friends you
    (Original post by lalaa64)
    I'll be your friend
    Yay!
    (Original post by OliviaBaggaley)
    I try to portray myself as confident but it must seem so fake and forced
    (Original post by smartguy32)
    I hope so but when I moved to a new school nobody knew each other but they all still made friends but I was left out and I'm worried it'll happen again
    (Original post by Hannahcarrots999)
    Girl

ReputationRep:
    What course are you taking at Uni? You could try and get people onto the subject why they like the topic you've chosen and why they've picked it etc, and if you make a good impression your bound to have lots of friends in no time!

ReputationRep:
    You will be okay! You do not have to be extra confident or do anything different to make friends. One day you will find someone who has the same interests as you and gets along with you and will like you for who you are. Even if you may be a shy, quiet, introvert then girl you are awesome! You are overthinking it too much, let people come to you and make friends will you and I am sure they will. When you get to university, you will meet so many people who will be just as afraid as you are, some who have no friends or who have a million, or some who are crazy or some who are shy. You will just have to try make an effort to open up and speak to people and I am sure someone will find you, because if you don't try then you can't expect them to only try. In uni there are soo many people you can meet just don't be scared and have faith in yourself. I am confident that you will find someone. If you had enough courage to ask on here, you have enough courage to face university

Same. Everyone seems bored by me and friendships fizzle after a week or so. I literally have no advice because I gave up and just keep to myself. Everyone else just seem childish - it's like primary school all over again. I'd rather sit by myself than pretend to like superficial people. Story of my life.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're overthinking it; all you have to do is be yourself with people and there will always be someone out there who will be willing to be your friend. Don't worry; you're already my friend and you didn't even have to do anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.