The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by masteroflendic
Hello there. Since we will find out on Thursday whether we are pooled or not and the summer pool closes on Friday, can the college confirm their final decisions by Friday?

For those who are unsuccessful in the Summer Pool, CAO (the central admissions office) send the track update to UCAS on Friday evening so you should know then or shortly after. For those who have been successful in the Summer Pool then you are normally contacted by email or phone by the college taking you on Friday and track will update shortly afterwards. Your original college might relax the terms of your condition today or tomorrow.
Original post by lihong210
How do we find out if we are in the Summer Pool or not?

Your college is likely to tell you whether you've been placed in the Summer Pool. They may be waiting for UMS to make a decision about whether to put you in but they have to decide to do this by 4pm so you could email them after that point to find out if you haven't hard.
Original post by I can do this
Hi there,

Until recently I've been wanting to do medicine, but I've realised that my interests mainly lie within the science behind it, and natural sciences seems much more appealing to me. However, although I do relevant subjects, I'm unsure about whether I have the relevant experience for the course - what is it that you look for in natural science students that's particularly separate from medical students please?

Many thanks

There's no need to have done any work experience when applying for Natural Science. All we are looking for is excellence, potential and enthusiasm for studying science at a very high level.
Original post by Jamwaq
Good morning
I'm a mum posting to see if Cambridge Mathematics is still a possibility now that my daughter has received her AS results
Overall
Maths a fm a chem b comp science d
Comp science has extenuating circumstances
Chemistry my daughter was under the impression that although sitting the as the grade was irrelevant as she is taking it to a2 so....
Maths as follows
D1 94
D2 79 - will re take
FP1 91
M1 72 - will re take
C1 93
C2 96
Is she still hopeful for an interview at least with these results?
Thank you and please be honest :wink:

Hello and thank you for your questions. I think that the Chemistry and Computer Science are not hugely important for Maths, though she really needs to be aiming for an A in Chemistry in otrder to meet the A level offer.

In terms of her Maths module scores, they are a bit up and down and the M1 result will cause some concern. I would think that she would get an interview and then a lot will depend on that. In Maths, they have the freedom to make more offers where they see some potential because of the STEP conditions. She won't be among the strongest candidates at this stage, however, so she wil need to do well in other aspects of the application. I hope that helps.
Original post by Mitchb777
Do cambridge have a policy on resits? Got an A in comp sci and physics. But got a B in maths with C1's 62 ums really letting me down (90 ums C2) I heard somewhere that they don't mind so much if it's just one or two modules but it wasn't official, just wanted some clarification.

Resits are fine providing it's only a couple of modules. 62 in C1, however, is not a great result and we'd be keen to know that this was only an aberration.
Reply 345
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thank you for your questions. I think that the Chemistry and Computer Science are not hugely important for Maths, though she really needs to be aiming for an A in Chemistry in otrder to meet the A level offer.

In terms of her Maths module scores, they are a bit up and down and the M1 result will cause some concern. I would think that she would get an interview and then a lot will depend on that. In Maths, they have the freedom to make more offers where they see some potential because of the STEP conditions. She won't be among the strongest candidates at this stage, however, so she wil need to do well in other aspects of the application. I hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply. We are feeling a little more reassured now. She is predicted an A* for chemistry so that shouldn't be a problem. M1 was wel on her radar after the exam, think she was having an off day!
We have been looking at Natural Sciences at Cambridge as we weren't originally aware of the maths and chemistry options within it..... Do you think she would be more competitive for Natural Sciences so far with her AS results?
Thanks and sorry for all the questions - us mums are like that :wink:
Resits are fine providing it's only a couple of modules. 62 in C1, however, is not a great result and we'd be keen to know that this was only an aberration.

Yeah, was the only C1 paper this year I didn't get an A on. Gutted. C'est la vie I suppose.
Original post by debs20153
I got biology b chemistry b mathematics b are these considered good enough as levels to try and apply for Cambridge

I'm afraid that with 3 Bs at AS then you are going to struggle to get an interview at Cambridge. If you want to come to Cambridge, your best bet at this stage is to do really well in your A Levels and apply on a gap year. Sorry not to be more encouraging at this stage.
Original post by jneill
Answering (but not an AT...), if you have a confirmed acceptance you are definitely accepted. They don't make mistakes about this, and even if they did they would have to honour the place anyway.

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Admissions Tutors and Admissions Administrators like me like our jobs and take them seriously. Everything is checked several times. It hurts our feelings when you say we've made mistakes! :wink:

Thank you so much for the assurance. I can be stress-free now!! It's reassuring thinking that they were sure about accepting me when they confirmed my place.
Original post by thewickedllama
Hello Admissions Tutor!

I slightly missed my grade requirements (A*AB rather than A*AA, due to a very unexpected exam result in history) but my college accepted me anyway. It might sound like a silly question, but there's no chance they made a mistake, right? Would it have been the other parts of my application (my A* in EPQ, my interviews, my personal statement) that made the difference?

I'm just paranoid that they accidentally slipped somehow and pressed some kind of 'confirm' button by mistake. You can't take back a confirmation once you've made it, right?

Don;t worry, as Peterhouse Admissions says, we're pretty careful about this! You're in, well done. Sometimes it's possible for us to be generous depending on results. Your college obviously liked your application and I'm sure you'll do great at Cambridge. Pick the medieval papers! :smile:
Hello.

Do you know when will the confirmation letter and CAS document for international student arrive?

Thanks for your previous replies by the way.
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hello, I want to study economics and all my as results were a's except for maths, that I don't know how it happened but I got an E. Is there any chance of me getting in knowing that I will resit all my modules in june?
Original post by jdizzle12345
Hi, I just got my AS Results. Since I'm in the year where A-Levels are changing, I only sat 3 AS Levels (Religious Studies, Maths and Further Maths).

I was wondering if my average UMS will be the average of the three, or an average of RS and my combined maths scores. I'm thinking it could possibly be the latter because you are meant to put both Maths and Further maths modules under one subject in the form that requests UMS.

This is important to me as if it is an average of three then my UMS is under 93% and if it is just an average of the two then it goes over 93% which is needed to be automatically entered into pooling.

You won;t have an overall average as you will only have two subjects. Maths and FM are treated as one subject and Religious Studies will be the second. They will be good results nonetheless, so well done! :smile:
Hi I was just wondering if you could tell me whether I'd stand a good chance for getting an interview.

Land economy applicant. Taking Maths, Economics, Geography and Spanish at A Level.

7A* 4A at GCSE
A* - A Level
AA - at AS level (economics is reformed so my school ran internals - I ranked second in my year at a very academic school)

In terms of UMS from public exams it is a 93.4% average although this is including the A2 UMS. My average was let down slightly by a dodgy C2 - where I achieved 68 UMS, although the other maths unit scores were 100 and 87 UMS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by katie4610
Thank you so much for this reply it's really helpful to know that information regarding history, I love the subject also so that's good! Again, thank you!

You're very welcome. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Jamwaq
Thank you for your reply. We are feeling a little more reassured now. She is predicted an A* for chemistry so that shouldn't be a problem. M1 was wel on her radar after the exam, think she was having an off day!
We have been looking at Natural Sciences at Cambridge as we weren't originally aware of the maths and chemistry options within it..... Do you think she would be more competitive for Natural Sciences so far with her AS results?
Thanks and sorry for all the questions - us mums are like that :wink:

That's ok, I understand! :smile: I think she would be better off applying for maths. The lack of Physics and a B in Chemistry would make her less competitive for Natural Science. As I say, Maths has the luxury of making more offers per place than Nat Sci does (where nearly everyone makes the offer, compared to only around half of mathematicians) and the Chemistry won't matter much there. She should have a look at some STEP papers and see how she gets on to have an idea about whether she'd be suited to and enjoy maths at Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi again, I just got my A2 results. Not too bad - 3A*s in Maths, FM and Chemistry. 1 mark off an A* in Physics. In light of the new admissions exam, I was wondering if the auto-pooling criteria of 3A*s still exists and does that I mean I can almost guarantee to be invited to interview?
Reply 357
I'm wondering whether it's worth applying to Cambridge medicine with my results.

I'm an international student , but I started sixth form in England last year. I just got my AS grades and I achieved AAAA in chemistry , maths , physics and English lit/Lang.

My school in Nigeria was quite inexperienced with IGCSE's and I achieved 4A*'s and 2A's although that was the best in my school. Unfortunately I was only allowed to take six subjects. I also acheived 7'A's in my country's high school exam.

Is it worth applying ?
Original post by masteroflendic
Hello.

Do you know when will the confirmation letter and CAS document for international student arrive?

Thanks for your previous replies by the way.

I don't I'm afraid, sorry. Both should be soon though.
Reply 359
Hi, I received my AS results today and got ABBC, I was planning to apply for Cambridge but am now unsure as to whether there is any point. I had rather severe extenuating circumstances around exam time, that meant my 7A*4A and predicted A grades seem to have been let down on by these results. Would my extenuating circumstances be considered against my previous academic record?

Latest

Trending

Trending