The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
All the standard aged colleges are encouraged to discuss with their link mature college about mature applicants where they have a query. I don't think you'd be dismissed out of hand but I can't guarantee that all my colleagues would think the same way.

Ok, thank you. I suppose my question is would there be any point in pursuing a further A Level at the age of 21 for the purpose of admission? Because of course the immediate point of comparison would be the achievements of other 17/18-year-olds and I feel that beyond communicating an ability to work independently any further A Levels would be an irrelevance because they weren't sat in one go.

My English Lit UMS is: AS Unit 1: 120/120 AS Unit 2: 80/80 A2 Unit 3: 113/120 and A2 Unit 4: 80/80 and A* overall

My History UMS is: AS Unit 1: 61/100 AS Unit 2: 80/100 Unit 3: 120/120 and Unit 4: 63/80 and A* overall. This area is of concern, because despite the A* the UMS is inconsistent.

Finally, Econ is: AS Unit 1: 70/100 AS Unit 2: 73/100 A2 Unit 3: 92/100 A2 Unit 4: 66/100

The Religious Studies as of today is: AS Unit 1: 100/100 AS Unit 2: 87/100 A2 Unit 3: 100/100 and A2 Unit 4: Pending.

I think my A Level treadmill practice may have run its course...
Original post by Atticusfalls95
Ok, thank you. I suppose my question is would there be any point in pursuing a further A Level at the age of 21 for the purpose of admission? Because of course the immediate point of comparison would be the achievements of other 17/18-year-olds and I feel that beyond communicating an ability to work independently any further A Levels would be an irrelevance because they weren't sat in one go.

My English Lit UMS is: AS Unit 1: 120/120 AS Unit 2: 80/80 A2 Unit 3: 113/120 and A2 Unit 4: 80/80 and A* overall

My History UMS is: AS Unit 1: 61/100 AS Unit 2: 80/100 Unit 3: 120/120 and Unit 4: 63/80 and A* overall. This area is of concern, because despite the A* the UMS is inconsistent.

Finally, Econ is: AS Unit 1: 70/100 AS Unit 2: 73/100 A2 Unit 3: 92/100 A2 Unit 4: 66/100

The Religious Studies as of today is: AS Unit 1: 100/100 AS Unit 2: 87/100 A2 Unit 3: 100/100 and A2 Unit 4: Pending.

I think my A Level treadmill practice may have run its course...

My own view is no. There's no point in studying A levels jst for the sake of them. I think we take or leave you on the basis of what you've already done and how good you are now assessed through the other parts of the application.
Hi, I just got my AS results and got BBBA in Biology, English Literature, German and History. I was planning on applying for English at Cambridge because I was predicted 3As and a B at AS, but as I didn't get those should I just not bother now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student207
Hi,
I just got my AS results today and I got AAAAB- Biology, Chemistry, Geography, General studies and physics. I am hoping to apply for Biological Natural Sciences but, I think I am going to have to drop physics as my school have struggled with teaching it at AS with quite a few issues ( I believe this would continue next year)and so I think I can do much better at A2 with bio,Chem, geog and general studies. Will dropping physics significantly affect my application as I really hope to apply?Also how much weight would my B at AS in physics,if I dropped it, have on my application?

It's not a problem to drop Physics. We wont pay any attention to the General Studies result. In terms of how damaging the B in Physics would be, I;d say that it would be a concern but much less so for Bio Nat Sci than for Physical Nat Sci or Engineering. With As in Biology and Chemistry you will still be competitive and just aim to do as well on all the other parts of the application as you can.
Original post by zombie-dance
Hi, I just got my AS results and got BBBA in Biology, English Literature, German and History. I was planning on applying for English at Cambridge because I was predicted 3As and a B at AS, but as I didn't get those should I just not bother now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and thanks for your questions. with 3Bs and an A at AS it is going to be difficult for you to get an interview at Cambridge I'm afraid. Sorry not to be more encouraging. if you want to apply, then your best bet would be to apply post A Level with at least A*AA.
My own view is no. There's no point in studying A levels just for the sake of them. I think we take or leave you on the basis of what you've already done and how good you are now assessed through the other parts of the application.

I agree. Sorry, I think miscommunicated what I meant about A Levels, I don't enjoy taking them, but to stand a chance, getting that 3rd A or A* somewhere seems a necessity for the vast majority of competitive English courses. So I am faced with a situation where if I wish to enter universities offering English with A*AA/AAA offer levels, I either have to wait and see if the board finds that fourth module script, or failing that, find a way of communicating to these universities that either a) I intend to get that 3rd A/A* to meet their offer levels or b) apply as I am, but risk potential rejections on the basis of applying with just the A*A*B. So boring as A Levels are, it's a huge gamble to simply leave it as it is. Of course, there are lower offers out there, but I have made a conscious decision based off of my performance in English to go for English at Cambridge. I feel it is silly to put myself out of the running based off of A Level Economics.

Would my UMS put me at a disadvantage? It is very inconsistent, but I hope to make up for it in the ELAT and other parts of the application process.

Sorry for all these questions but forums like this are invariably very useful and so I wish to make the most of them.
Ok, that makes sense about the Physics and isn't uncommon. You might want to mention it somewhere on the SAQ.

GCSEs are a useful part of the application and 12 A*s certainly won't harm!

No more questions will be released for the Nat Sci Assessment, what's up there is what's available.

I don't think you need to resit D1, it's not a hugely important module and we'd rather you focused on other, more important and difficult things.

Thank you so much for the help!
Original post by Atticusfalls95
I agree. Sorry, I think miscommunicated what I meant about A Levels, I don't enjoy taking them, but to stand a chance, getting that 3rd A or A* somewhere seems a necessity for the vast majority of competitive English courses. So I am faced with a situation where if I wish to enter universities offering English with A*AA/AAA offer levels, I either have to wait and see if the board finds that fourth module script, or failing that, find a way of communicating to these universities that either a) I intend to get that 3rd A/A* to meet their offer levels or b) apply as I am, but risk potential rejections on the basis of applying with just the A*A*B. So boring as A Levels are, it's a huge gamble to simply leave it as it is. Of course, there are lower offers out there, but I have made a conscious decision based off of my performance in English to go for English at Cambridge. I feel it is silly to put myself out of the running based off of A Level Economics.

Would my UMS put me at a disadvantage? It is very inconsistent, but I hope to make up for it in the ELAT and other parts of the application process.

Sorry for all these questions but forums like this are invariably very useful and so I wish to make the most of them.

I don't think your UMS is a problem. It's very strong in English and consistent and while it's a bit up and down elsewhere there is plenty of evidence of strong performance. With a good performance in the other parts of the application, there's no reason why we couldn't accept you.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Thank you so much for the help!

You're welcome! Best of luck. :smile:
Hello!
Hoping to study Medicine in 2017, have a total average UMS of 94.5 (SUMS average is 93.5). I'm aware this would be not very competitive previously when everyone had UMS averages, but now that the same emphasis can't be placed on UMS do you think I have a realistic chance of being interviewed/offer. Thanks so much
is it worth applying with AAB at AS for psych, socio and IT respectively for the PBS course? thanks :smile:
Hello. Thank you yesterday for your reply regarding the eligibility to apply from Scotland whilst already studying in Medicine (first year). I lnow realistically the chances of getting accepted are low but if Cambridge would at least consider the application, I would be more than happy to apply.

Just some more questions about this if you do not mind answering. How would the personal statement work? Would I need to mention why I want to change in my PS or would that be mentioned by my reference? Regarding my reference, who would write it? My personal tutor or last years teacher who wrote my reference?

Thank you so much
Ok thank you
Original post by desertlover
Hello!
Hoping to study Medicine in 2017, have a total average UMS of 94.5 (SUMS average is 93.5). I'm aware this would be not very competitive previously when everyone had UMS averages, but now that the same emphasis can't be placed on UMS do you think I have a realistic chance of being interviewed/offer. Thanks so much

Are you doing ASes in Wales or Northern Ireland? If so, a SUMS of 93.5 is a little lower than most successful medics but it's not unusual to be accepted with that profile. I certainly think you'd get an interview and you'd be competitive providing you did well on other aspects of the application.
Reply 414
Hello. I've just been summer-pooled by Christ College studying mathematics, the offer was A*A*A and 1 in STEP II and III. I achieved A*A*A* and 1 and 2 in STEP II and III, missing the grade 1 in STEP III by 2 marks. I was wondering which colleges this year are likely to fish out someone like me, or will I be fished out at all? Also, are there any statistic regarding to the number of accepted candidates via the summer pool each year?

Many Thanks!
Hello,

I was hoping to apply for Law and I even took part in the Law residential at Trinity.

But my AS grades are a disaster. I got ABBCC (History, Geography, Literature, Politics and Math). If my teachers predict me a grade higher for my top 3, I should have an A*AA prediction which is the entry requirement. Do I stand even the smallest chance?

Thank you!
Original post by box036
Hello. I've just been summer-pooled by Christ College studying mathematics, the offer was A*A*A and 1 in STEP II and III. I achieved A*A*A* and 1 and 2 in STEP II and III, missing the grade 1 in STEP III by 2 marks. I was wondering which colleges this year are likely to fish out someone like me, or will I be fished out at all? Also, are there any statistic regarding to the number of accepted candidates via the summer pool each year?

Many Thanks!

Probably, Homerton, Girton are the most likely candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Makhib19
Hello. Thank you yesterday for your reply regarding the eligibility to apply from Scotland whilst already studying in Medicine (first year). I lnow realistically the chances of getting accepted are low but if Cambridge would at least consider the application, I would be more than happy to apply.

Just some more questions about this if you do not mind answering. How would the personal statement work? Would I need to mention why I want to change in my PS or would that be mentioned by my reference? Regarding my reference, who would write it? My personal tutor or last years teacher who wrote my reference?

Thank you so much

No problem, happy to be of help. I would talk about it in your PS or elsewhere in your SAQ (there is a box for an additional PS or for telling us anything else we should know). With your reference then it should be from the person who can say the most about you academically. If that's your university tutor, go with them, if they only really know you a little, then use your teacher.
Hi everyone,

I'm in year 12 and would like to do natural sciences. This summer I got an A* in my maths A level with a UMS of 599/600 and A's in Physics and Chemistry AS (no UMS as it's reformed subjects)
I also did FP1 (self taught where I got UMS of 87) and D2 (where I got UMS of 80)
My total UMS average is 95.75%
Do you think I would make a competitive application?
Original post by box036

Many Thanks!

Hello and I'm sorry that we were unable to accept you. We had a very strong crop of Mathematicians and couldn't relax the offer. All colleges have been encouraged to pool anyone with a 1 in either STEP II or STEP III. You should be a decent candidate in the pool as a number of colleges and not just the ones mentioned above are looking in Maths. Somewhere between 15 and 30 mathematicians get accepted through the Summer Pool each year. it's easily the biggest moving subject in the Summer Pool. Best of luck tomorrow, you should hear by the evening.