Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

A friend has asked me to fit a new processor into his old computer so he can use broadband on it.

Haven't done this before but from what I hear it is quite complicated, any advice or tips??!

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Eh? You sure about that? You don't need to fit a new processor to be able to use broadband.

Are you sure its not something like fitting a PCI wireless card etc?

ReputationRep:
    Well a guy in the IT Department said it would be the processor (the computer is fairly old so doesn't meet minimim requirements for broadband)

Does that sound right?!

ReputationRep:
    Must be a really old system then.

Its not too difficult to change a processor, first unplug the fan connector. Then either unclip the heatsink by hand if possible. If not, use a flat head screwdriver to unhook the metal clip. Then twist to remove the heatsink completely.

To remove the processor, lift the lever holding it in place then carefully remove the chip.

When fitting the new one, make sure you put it in the right way. There's usually a corner marked with a gold triangle. If you're using the same heatsink as before, clean off the old paste and apply some new compound. However if you get one supplied with the chip, it'll probably already come with paste applied.

ReputationRep:
    The more significant factor of changing a processor is determining what the maximum spec of the motherboard is. Often as not, if the system is old enough (which this one must be if the processor can't meet a broadband spec... which is somewhat dubious), there's little point changing out the processor on its own - you need a new motherboard, memory, proc, and possibly powersupply and gfx card. ie. a new machine.

what is the current spec of this machine?

ReputationRep:
    2MB broadband will max out a P1 200MHz machine, so if its <that> low spec then they really need a new machine.

ReputationRep:
    If the machine is old enough to not handle broadband, you're going to have a very difficult time finding a processor that will fit the motherboard socket. And I doubt any of them will be fast enough, as the sockets get changed every couple years. Which means you'll be needing new stuff (a new computer, essentially sans maybe the hard-drive and optical drive).

ReputationRep:
    oldest processors you cna find are socket 754 and socket 468. But even the slowest processors on that can run broadband, so unlkess you found the processor, finding one is gonna be a tough job tbh

ReputationRep:
    As others said this dosn't really make sense. I used to use broadband perfectly happily on Pentium 100 laptop! circa 1995.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thanks for the help and advice...ordering a new computer tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is thank god he's upgrading. Processor not capable of broadband in 2007... madness.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.