Turn on thread page Beta

i began toalking to a guy over a week ago nad we have spent hours talking on msn, even a whole night. He has asked to meet up and i dunno if i should. WHat would u do? would anyone else meet up with some one they met online and has anyone ever met anyone they met on line?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know him at all? Like, is he a friend of a friend or just a complete stranger? How did you meet him? If it was on Myspace, then I'd probably go for it, but take a friend, or at least go to somewhere busy that you're familiar with.

ReputationRep:
    hmm not after a week but i have kinda in the past. (mates of mates of mates)
    get to know him more. and if you do meet , meet in public, with a mate maybe, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I've met two lads I've met on MySpace, one of them became my boyfriend for a little while, and another I'm still friends with today.
    Just meet up in a public place, in town or something, I was a bit hesitant at first but as soon as I met them I felt at ease, they were dead nice!

ReputationRep:
    suggest meeting up in a group of ppl. then u can bring your friends and he can bring his. You can meet up on your own if it turns out OK.

ReputationRep:
    Its always dangerous to meet up offline.
    If you feel you really must, then at least take a friend with you and meet in a very public place.

ReputationRep:
    I was apprehensive, but I did it, and it worked out really, really well. As long as you're sensible and you understand the implications, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I met up with someone on the other side of the world that I met online. It was great!

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him a bit more. A week isn't really long to gage personality (although it's difficult online anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I met my boyfriend online but we didn't meet in person until 3 or 4 months after meeting online, so I'd be inclined to leave it a bit longer. I don't think you always need to take someone - I didn't take anyone when I met my boyfriend and we've now been together over 2.5 years. Just be sensible and it'll probably work out, though I do agree that meeting up as a group of friends is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Do you know him at all? Like, is he a friend of a friend or just a complete stranger? How did you meet him? If it was on Myspace, then I'd probably go for it, but take a friend, or at least go to somewhere busy that you're familiar with.
    How is myspace any different to MSN?

ReputationRep:
    If someone's using Myspace a lot, you can usually tell from their profile and their communications with their friends if they are who they're saying they are. There's much more anonymity on MSN.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen him on a webcam? If not, you should do that first, so that you actually know that he is who he says he is. And don't meet him on your own the first time, go for drinks with some friends.

ReputationRep:
    i've met up with a few of guys i've met online. first one i don't talk to anymore, 2nd one i'm good mates with, & the final one has been my on-off boyfriend for 2 years! i did wait longer than a week before i met up with any of them though. i've not had a bad experience with it, & neither has one of my mates who's done it once or twice aswell, but just be cautious. meet up somewhere public the first few times for definite! & let at least one of your mates know what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important question is how did you find this guy, or how did he find you?

ReputationRep:
    I met up with my current boyfriend after i started talking to him on Faceparty for a bit. Although he used to go to my school so i kinda knew him from there.. just make sure you meet in a public place, we met outside the cinema for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    How is myspace any different to MSN?
    On Myspace it's a lot harder to hide being fake. If someone has a profile with pictures, friends who seem to know them, a school listed, or whatever, it'd be a HELL of a lot harder to make up all that than on MSN. It's relatively easy to tell who is 'fake' and who is real on Myspace.

ReputationRep:
    You two have only known each other a week, there's no rush to meet up is there? I would suggest that you left it a little while, see how you feel in a few weeks time. Personally, if i was in your position, I would wait a couple of months at the very least, but everyone is different.

If you do decide to meet him, try and make it a group meeting, his friends and yours. That would be a good way to meet for the first time, but it's not always possible. Should you decide that you want it to be just you two, tell a friend where you are, meet in a public place, and keep regular contact with your friend so that they know you are safe. It can be dangerous, so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    I met a guy on one of those huge msn convasation things on christmas day! Turns out he was one of my mates, work friends best mate (if you're still with me?) 4 months later after many late nights on msn and loads of texts and drunken phone calls we met up! Been going out since for 14months today! =] He's made me the happiest i have ever been!

ReputationRep:
    i have and he's extremly cool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.