The Student Room Group

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sationti
I was just annoyed because the lying bell-end knew I'd have to travel an hour to get there when he told me about the fake job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet you sent the nasty email to Jackie
Reply 61
Original post by PQ
And yet you sent the nasty email to Jackie

Jackie was the one who 'interviewed' me (if you can call it that), but it was a guy who first called me after I applied.

This 'role' was her responsibility but it was one of the less senior ones that called me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Jackie was the one who 'interviewed' me (if you can call it that), but it was a guy who first called me after I applied.

This 'role' was her responsibility but it was one of the less senior ones that called me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will you be giving every agency that slights you, the same treatment?
Lot of anger and attitude.
Original post by S1939
Beyond unprofessional. I think you should send an email out, and apologise. Say that you were frustrated or something.
That way it hopefully won't backfire later on, if you ever cross ways with the agency or the people you that received your email.

I don't think sending an apology by email will cut it. I think he ought to send them a hand written letter of apology.
Reply 64
Original post by markova21
I don't think sending an apology by email will cut it. I think he ought to send them a hand written letter of apology.

I'll be sending them neither. The only thing they'd be getting from me is a turd through their letterbox.

I'm not interested in that joke of an agency, only whether they would prevent me from getting external agency jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Now you just need to post this on like LinkedIn or some blogging site so it can go viral and some employer will think you have balls and offers you a job. Then again most will probably just see you as arrogant and deluded.
I'll be sending them neither. The only thing they'd be getting from me is a turd through their letterbox.

I'm not interested in that joke of an agency, only whether they would prevent me from getting external agency jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's all very well and good if you live in quite a large city that has many agencies. But if you are somewhere [or if the agency is] in a relatively small area I would just be concerned that word might get around. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?

This is going to bite you big time....

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so funny; pretty impressive writing that after some wine :'D
The irony of this is that the actions describe a decent agency that see a decent candidate (or did initially!).

A cheap agency that is just interested on volume applications to retail jobs doesn't bother to call people in and no agency that thinks your CV/application is weak is going to waste it's time calling you in.

However, a decent agency, that thinks it has the sort of jobs that your CV might be good for, will usually call candidates in for an initial interview, just like the OP described. They want to check a) the technicalities, like right to work, hence the passport check, and b) that the person behind the paperwork doesn't have two heads, is coherent and is as good as they look on paper. That way, they can be sure that putting this person forward will reflect well on them.

It doesn't matter for MacD type jobs, but the money in recruiting tends to come from creating strong relationships with employers and becoming their agency of choice, and that means not just finding them the one successful candidate, but consistently putting decent, competitive candidates to them for interview.

So a decent agency, if it gets a decent looking candidate, will invite them in and give them a mini interview, with no specific role in mind. If the candidate handless themselves well and looks good for them to pass on, then the agency will much more actively 'pitch' them to employers. Instead of just being picked out by a word search on their database, they will be actively proposing you to employers. Phrases like 'I met Louise the other day and she's charming, really enthusiastic and looks a really strong contender, I really recommend you short list her' will get you to many more real job interviews. They can't and don't say that about people that are just database filters.

So well done on completely missing the point of what was going on there, and turning a potential win into a massive fail.
You're not going get any job if that's your attitude. The job market is tough, you'll go to interviews and many times not be offered a place, it sucks but that's the way it is. Normal people just get on with it and keep trying, instead of being bitter.

Wow, you have a degree from a good uni... so do all your course mates, and the people who graduated before you and graduate after you. You're nothing special, unless you can show it to your potential employer. Grow up and stop being entitled.
Reply 71
As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university

You mean, like everybody?
Reply 72
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't assume this is a troll/joke by the way. You'd be surprised at the small minority of people who feel it's appropriate to communicate like this. I'd say I experienced it at least every 4-6 months over my career. This is in fact a mild version of some of the correspondence I've seen.

Obviously he's been a little bit over the top here, but I don't think there's anything wrong with him telling them to go stuff it (which is essentially what he did). Obviously he gains nothing, and from a job finding POV it's not a great choice, but that aside he's perfectly in his rights. They lied to him which led to him travelling quite far at his own expense for the agencies potential gain - why should he tell them to take a jump off a high place?

If more people made a fuss maybe this kind of nonsense would stop.
Reply 73
Original post by Josb
You mean, like everybody?

To be fair, not everybody has "2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university"

Spoiler

Reply 74
Original post by threeportdrift
The irony of this is that the actions describe a decent agency that see a decent candidate (or did initially!).

A cheap agency that is just interested on volume applications to retail jobs doesn't bother to call people in and no agency that thinks your CV/application is weak is going to waste it's time calling you in.

However, a decent agency, that thinks it has the sort of jobs that your CV might be good for, will usually call candidates in for an initial interview, just like the OP described. They want to check a) the technicalities, like right to work, hence the passport check, and b) that the person behind the paperwork doesn't have two heads, is coherent and is as good as they look on paper. That way, they can be sure that putting this person forward will reflect well on them.

It doesn't matter for MacD type jobs, but the money in recruiting tends to come from creating strong relationships with employers and becoming their agency of choice, and that means not just finding them the one successful candidate, but consistently putting decent, competitive candidates to them for interview.

So a decent agency, if it gets a decent looking candidate, will invite them in and give them a mini interview, with no specific role in mind. If the candidate handless themselves well and looks good for them to pass on, then the agency will much more actively 'pitch' them to employers. Instead of just being picked out by a word search on their database, they will be actively proposing you to employers. Phrases like 'I met Louise the other day and she's charming, really enthusiastic and looks a really strong contender, I really recommend you short list her' will get you to many more real job interviews. They can't and don't say that about people that are just database filters.

So well done on completely missing the point of what was going on there, and turning a potential win into a massive fail.

All good and well, but in OP's defence they mislead him to get him there. If this is what they wanted then they should have been clear about it, bringing someone in under false pretences is very unprofessional. You can understand his frustration if he was led to believe he was going for a job interview for a role he was keen on, only to find he was basically there for agency admin - that's disappointing!
Lol at all the people falling for this
Nice trolling OP, subtle with a touch of humour
Most have taken the b8. I r8 8/8
Also adecco and manpower aren't "good" agencies, they're just "volume" agencies with lots of random roles.
It appears that 'he's/she's a good chap/lass' is a common reason to hire someone.
Equally, being a d*** will lose you many opportunities.

As for your time... that's like 3-4 hours? You could spend an entire year unemployed.
Reply 78
Original post by Anfanny
Should be in the humour section bud you are a joke for writing something like that. I guarantee the first companies they'll forward your email to is adecco and manpower.
More of a warning for everyone else that sending stuff like this to people just doing probably tough jobs will get you nowhere fast no matter who you are.

You guarantee it? So in your mind the first thing a little local recruitment company is going to do upon receiving this email is go out of their way to warn Adecco and Manpower to benefit their main competitors? Smart - this is how all successful businesses operate.
2/10.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending