The Student Room Group

Medicine - What Stubjects should i keep at A2/A-Level?

Hi everyone i will be doing A2 starting this summer. I want to do medicine and i was wondering what would be the best option in terms of carrying on subjects.
I took the following subjects at AS:
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Physics
* Maths
i believe i liked all my subjects this year but i was wondering if dropping one would be easier for A2.
Any help would be appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Definitely keep Biology and Chemistry, as a no-brainer, but between Physics and Maths - I would say go with whichever you're best at, or whichever intersts you the most! :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Definitely keep Biology and Chemistry, as a no-brainer, but between Physics and Maths - I would say go with whichever you're best at, or whichever intersts you the most! :smile:

This is where im stuck. I like physics more but isn't it best to have maths with physics.
Original post by jayeshforce1
Hi everyone i will be doing A2 starting this summer. I want to do medicine and i was wondering what would be the best option in terms of carrying on subjects.
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Physics
* Maths
i believe i liked all my subjects this year but i was wondering if dropping one would be easier for A2.

If you want to do medicine you 100% need to keep biology and chemistry on, so its time to chose between physics and maths.

Many people say you need maths to be able to do physics, but I call rubbish on that comment because a girl in my year who is now at cambridge studying medicine got A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and physics and she dropped maths at AS. she told me that if your willing to put the time in to learn the relevant maths for the physics module you really dont need the maths.

Both A2 maths and Physics are significantly more challenging than AS, so my advice is take the one you enjoy more.
Original post by Natalierm2707
If you want to do medicine you 100% need to keep biology and chemistry on, so its time to chose between physics and maths.

Many people say you need maths to be able to do physics, but I call rubbish on that comment because a girl in my year who is now at cambridge studying medicine got A*A*A* in biology, chemistry and physics and she dropped maths at AS. she told me that if your willing to put the time in to learn the relevant maths for the physics module you really dont need the maths.

Both A2 maths and Pysc are significantly more challenging than AS, so my advice is take the one you enjoy more.

Thanks! do you think i can pick another AS subject just for extra ucas points like physic or something? also do you think i will get enough time to do the extra AS at A2?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! do you think i can pick another AS subject just for extra ucas points like physic or something? also do you think i will get enough time to do the extra AS at A2?

The only medical school where doing the extra AS will count for more points before interview is barts, every other medical school will not care if you only do 3 A2s or whether you do 3 A2s plus an AS.

Personally I wouldnt ever risk spreading yourself to thin, so just do the three A2 levels unless your totally confident you can cope with the extra work needed for the AS level on top of everything.
Remember you need AAA, AAA with 3 A2s is going to get you in wheras AABa with an AS is not, and the AS really could be the difference between doing well and overworking yourself. Think long and hard about it.
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Physics
* Maths

Hi jayeshforce1

If you are decided on studying medicine, then you definitely need to continue with Chemistry and it is strongly recommended that you also stick with Biology. What you choose in addition to those two is really up to you and should come down to what you enjoy most as that is what you are most likely to do well in.

As others have said, there is no real advantage to continuing with all 4 subjects and you do run the risk of spreading yourself too thin.

So, my advice is go for what you want to to continue studying for your 3rd subject, whichever that is will be the right choice for you!

You might like to read this blog, which is all about this subject.

Hope that helps.

Do let me know if you have any questions.. always happy to help.

UniAdmissions
Between maths and physics, do the one you're better at. I will say this though, the concepts you learn in physics make understanding respiratory lectures MUCH easier
Why not just do all four? An extra subject isn't too hard to do.

If you do have to drop one though, keep maths imo. So much usefulness in

a) no revision for those simple stat concepts in early years
b) when doing research, you have at least a basic idea of the statistics involved. Not so much that you'd understand the logic behind a regression analysis or anything, but that if you saw the formula, you'd get how that's being used.
If you were to drop I would say drop maths - because maths gets a lot harder whereas physics is manageable once you've done the first year material.
* Biology
* Chemistry
* Physics
* Maths

Drop physics. It's unnecessary irritation
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Drop physics. It's unnecessary irritation

But C3 and C4 seem like a pain in the backside
Original post by 07cdominic
If you were to drop I would say drop maths - because maths gets a lot harder whereas physics is manageable once you've done the first year material.

Do you reckon i should retake C1 in june if i get a B in maths this year and decide to drop it for A2? so it looks good
Original post by hslakaal
Why not just do all four? An extra subject isn't too hard to do.

If you do have to drop one though, keep maths imo. So much usefulness in

a) no revision for those simple stat concepts in early years
b) when doing research, you have at least a basic idea of the statistics involved. Not so much that you'd understand the logic behind a regression analysis or anything, but that if you saw the formula, you'd get how that's being used.

Because i get stressed and scared prior and during exams. i will probably smash all subject mocks then unnecessarily stress prior and during exams. I thought if i take 1 less subject then my stress would come down so that i don't end up messing up my A2 because i think i may have f***ed up my AS Bio and AS Maths and got B grade this year because of stress and panic. most Medic applicants would have AAAA at AS im so screwed urghhhh
But C3 and C4 seem like a pain in the backside

PH3 and PH4 will feel like an elephant's trunk in your ***hole.

It'll be problematic to take Physics A2 without A2 maths, but not the other way round.
Drop maths

It'll be problematic to take Physics A2 without A2 maths, but not the other way round.

i dont know what PH3 and PH4 is....... lol

Because C4 helps with capacitors and nuclear decay in A2 Physics right?
Reply 18
So you've just done AS and going to start A2 in September?

Keep Chem and Bio.
Why don't you wait until you get the AS results for all the subjects, see how you did and take it from there with regards to dropping maths or physics. If they're both equal in terms of enjoyment, then see which one you've done better at and take that one forward so hopefully it should be easier to get your 3 A's.

Assuming you ace both maths and physics and still can't decide, ask your school to let you continue both Maths and Physics for the first few weeks when you start in September so you can test the waters with both at A2. Might help make a decision as to which one you want to continue and then drop one of them in October.

I'd never recommend taking all 4 to A2 or doing another AS because it's just not worth spreading yourself too thin and risking all your grades for something which won't benefit you in Med School applications and won't make you stand out or give you a better chance.
Reply 19
Speaking from my personal opinion, I would suggest you to drop physics. For physics, the jump from AS to A2 is bigger than the other 3. I did biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics for A level and I regret not dropping physics after AS so much. You definitely need biology and chemistry for medicine so you must keep them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending