The Student Room Group

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M2468
I was told that algebra is a useful life skill 🙄🙄

It may not be for everyone. But it's true that algebra is important for many things that are taken for granted in daily life.
Original post by ckfeister
not rubbish, it helps you get a part-time job

It really doesn't.
I had a teacher at primary school who used to send random students to another classroom for a "long wait" and a "short wait". The other class' teacher must have been in on the joke because he duly kept them waiting before sending them back empty-handed. A good lesson in gullibility.

A weeks work experience making tea and messing around with paper clips does not = "workplace skills such as communication and team working"

ok
Original post by Snufkin
A weeks work experience making tea and messing around with paper clips does not = "workplace skills such as communication and team working"

ok

its still work experience, and the reason why jobs don't go to students anymore " lack work experience " so what does government do? add work experience to your school work.
"Your coursework is there for you to fall back on!"

*teachers mark it wrong so we have to work to pull our coursework grade up with the exam as opposed to having the coursework grade to pull up our exam mark*
In year 8 our teacher told us she had a friend that was in teacher training. She left the room to speak to someone. During this time her students threw rubbers across the room. She walked into the room, one of the rubbers went into her eye and made her permanently blind. She had to quit her training and became unemployed.

I can guarantee this NEVER happened. And everyone continued to throw rubbers around the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher told me she was the best teacher in our school, but all she use to do was use other teachers powerpoints and read off of it🙄
a) that year 7 - 10 exams actually matter and b) the gravitational field strength of the earth is 10N/kg :P
Our History teacher titled every email he sent to us with 'FREE PIZZA' or 'FREE CHOCOLATE' to make sure everyone read them.
There would always be a clause at the end of the email explaining he lied about the free food :')
Teacher: Today class I've planned for you an easy, fun lesson!
Original post by ZakiTheTory
'If you don't do your homework you will fail your exams'

Yup, one of my maths teachers said this a lot, especially when setting all 19 questions of an exercise when 3 would have sufficed to learn the subject matter. The difference between some questions was simply slotting different numbers into the same formula.
You're going to enjoy this lesson.
A bunch of us wrote down which pizza we wanted if we came and helped out at an open evening... never saw or heard about it ever again :frown:
RIP to my pizza choices
In primary school we all believed that there were cameras all over the classroom (they were actually fire alarms/smoke detectors :/) so obviously we owned up to everything we did before the teacher "collected" the evidence
PE teacher told us never to mess around near rounders bases because one time "a boy tried to jump over one and it punctured his bowel and his poo exploded everywhere in front of the whole class."

In nursery a little red light would appear every so often on the fire alarm and we were told that it was santa watching us and we all had to wave to him and promise never to misbehave.
That I was going to get an A for Sociology but got an E...:woo::woo::jacko::jacko::cry2::cry2::cry::cry:
Reply 378
We had a spelling test in primary school and my teacher told me that I spelt 'desert' wrong, but they'd actually spelt it 'dessert' on their mark scheme. I've been gutted ever since.
'Don't throw paper planes, a girl once had one go through her eye socket into her brain' -Yr4
'There's a bear on the playing field, we're going cross country running to track it down' - Yr9 PE (Half of the class actually believed the teacher :doh:)
'Our school believes in removing barriers so disadvantaged students can achieve their best' - All of highschool.
Utter baloney, they used to treat the kids with Asperger's like crap, constant detentions and all sorts instead of actually offering them support and training teachers to understand and aid them.

Quick Reply

Latest