The Student Room Group

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

- Pick something you actually enjoy or you'll regret it very quickly
- Keeping my folder organized really helped when it can to exams
- I know this is a hard one, but try not to leave everything until the last minute :h:
Reply 321
Start working from the beginning of the year, you'll be more confident by the time exams come around.
Just don't
Never believe anybody who says "AS levels' don't matter."
Reply 324
You need to think about whether or not A-Levels are for you. If you're not really education driven or don't like exams there are things like BTEC's or Apprenticeships. With Apprenticeships you can gain required skills for industry and honestly it's great for people who like learning in a working environment.

BTEC's however are more useful for people who don't want their results to be based on their final exam results. So you do plenty of coursework and you get a substantial amount of help from teachers.

However if you're doing A-Levels then these are the tips I have for you;

- Make sure to go over your notes
- Find a healthy balance between your social and college life
- Have revision folders ready
- Choose subjects you will enjoy not because you were good at them at GCSE's
- Make revision notes
- Take your mocks seriously
- Finally, HAVE FUN GUYS! :biggrin:
Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b
what would you suggest is the best way to use this time?e.g. notes, past papers etc

That's up to you to decide, as different revision techniques work better for different people. Try them all out and see what is most efficient for you :smile:
Time is money
Revise from Day 1 making sure you keep all your subject folders organised.
Your frees aren't frees, spend them in the library
Reply 328
Learn to get on with your teachers so you can go to them for help. buy study guides, learn what the examiners want.
Listen to your college's advice re attendance, punctuality and homework. Some of that is to make them look good but also, they have a point.
Try to start revision earlier rather than later - but a bit of cramming can be helpful too.
EPQ is a waste of everyone's time. Don't bother.
Start your revision from the first day you get there and never miss a lesson because you'll miss out on a lot!
Work hard throughout the year and start studying early. Try your hardest to not lose interest in your subjects because it is so much easier studying subjects you love!
Reply 332
Don't worry about it being to hard. It's just another step up as is the every next thing you do. Just keep on top of your stuff and then you won't be stressing last minute as much.
Reply 333
Even if you think you have revised everything keep going. Just go over it again and again in every way possible. Don't give up it will all be worth it!
Start early, don't just say that you will, actually do it.

DO IT
Whenever you feel like lazing around and not doing any work, just remember the end goal that you have set yourself for the year. Focus on that, along with the terror of a failure on results day. That'll set ya straight.
Actually study in your free periods; revise with the course specification; past papers are precious, try and only do them when you feel you have covered the specification enough (but don't leave them too late); hope for the best but always plan for the worst.
Depends hugely on your subjects, your study habbits and simply what works for you. As far as maths and science subjects go, I would recommend doing a significant amount of independent study as this is the best way to fill the gaps in your knowledge. Expect to have a weak social life for the next two years and try not to put off the idea of spending hours tackling problems you find difficult, it seriously pays off in the end.
Depends hugely on your subjects, your study habits and simply what works for you. As far as maths and science subjects go, I would recommend doing a significant amount of independent study as this is the best way to fill the gaps in your knowledge. Expect to have a weak social life for the next two years and try not to put off the idea of spending hours tackling problems you find difficult, it seriously pays off in the end.
Get focused from the first day and make use of your free periods. Once it gets to December and you're behind it will be a lot of work to catch up.

If you're doing a language, make sure you do extra for example, (watch videos, movies, listen to the radio in that language, even put on subtitles in that language)

Quick Reply

Latest