Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to figure out what qualification I would need to teach at a uk college level and I've become a little flummoxed by the the whole thing. I've read several different answers about what I would need to do and I'm close to smacking my head against the wall repeatedly, ha! I was really hoping someone here could point me in the right direction or knew whether or not I still need a PGCE to teach at college and whether or not I will need a masters? (some people have said various different things)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you technically need any formal teaching qualifications however you will be expected to be take some form of training and a PGCE will significantly open your job prospects.

I am starting in a college this september, having just finished my PGCE in FE.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an Level 5 FE direct course, effectively a PGCE. I know people who just walked in without even a degree though. A lot of it is luck.

ReputationRep:
    Did you just apply to colleges after your PGCE and they give you the training? Or did you receive training before hand? Also good luck for September

ReputationRep:
    This is all super helpful thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseajade182)
    Did you just apply to colleges after your PGCE and they give you the training? Or did you receive training before hand? Also good luck for September
    Thank you very much!

I got my degree, then did my PGCE in FE which is my training & qualification to teach in a college. Now I can just apply where I want, no further training needed.

There are other routes where you don't need a PGCE as stated by Beffudled.

If you have any questions let me know as I don't think I've done a very good job of explaining it!!!

ReputationRep:
    You'll notice from job adverts that some ask for no teaching qualifications whereas others insist on ptlls/ctlls /dtlls/cert ed/pgce.

Personally I am doing the qualifications that are formally known as ptlls /ctlls. My reasoning for this is that I want to be qualified before applying for jobs but the pgce route doesn't fit my circumstances. I ultimately want to do the qualification formerly known as dtlls.

The following qualifications can be used to apply for QTLS: pgce, cert ed, dtlls (now known as level 5 diploma in education and training).*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.