The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well, excuse me if "a few years ago" is an ambiguous term for you to use :rolleyes:
If you decide to go down the education route, going on to university, then you'll have to get atleast a 2:1 to get yourself on a graduate programme, you'll be up against thousands of other graduates. If you go down the employment road then you've pretty much got in through the back door, you'll have to work your way up and if you make an effort then I'm sure you'll be fine, and you'd also have made some contacts on the way, I'm afraid the old saying in the employment sector is quite true...."it's not what you know, it's who you know". Having said that, if you decide to carry on studying your options would be a lot wider, if you have a change in career path.
Reply 82
^^ all true.
Sounds like thegman has made his mind up though to be honest :p:
Reply 83
No I've not because I might be moving to Australia so I don't even know if I will be doing either. If I go to 6th form I will probably end up with a complete different career path as my best grades are not in science which is what is needed for engineering degrees. My best predicted grades are in subjects PE, English, Business but I don't think there is too much money in the sport industry unless you can go pro at something.
Reply 84
You can always take the job and then do A levels as an evening class, even if you do 2 AS Levels the first year, then 2 A2s then another A level the year after. Then your options will be left open if you decide after 3 years you want to go to uni or dont like your job then you will have qualifications to move to another career.
Reply 85
thegman!
No I've not because I might be moving to Australia so I don't even know if I will be doing either. If I go to 6th form I will probably end up with a complete different career path as my best grades are not in science which is what is needed for engineering degrees. My best predicted grades are in subjects PE, English, Business but I don't think there is too much money in the sport industry unless you can go pro at something.

Sports Journalism/management?
Reply 86
Sport journalism is very very competitive and hard become increasingly hard to get jobs as a sport journalist if you are not an ex-pro. As for sport management there isn't too much money in that either
simon123

I agree that 30K is not alot. However I think you are overblowing it a little here. You really think its widespread for families to send there kids to Eton, Harrow, St Pauls and the other top public schools?:rolleyes:

It is widespread in a certain socioeconomic group.
6% of the population study at private schools.
Over 20,000 students study at the top 12 private schools.
Reply 88
acolyte
It is widespread in a certain socioeconomic group.
6% of the population study at private schools.
Over 20,000 students study at the top 12 private schools.

Yes well thats all well and good. Also I am sure owning a ferrari is widespread within a "certain" socioeconomic group, but that doesnt make it widespread if the group is a tiny minority of the population at large.

In terms of regular private schools across the country then yes this is quite widespread, but it certainly doesnt cost 26K a year to go to a regular private school. It is definatly not common to go to a public school, which is different to a private school. Eton, Harrow, Westminster, St Pauls, these are public schools, your local standard private school is a completely different thing to these places.
simon123
Yes well thats all well and good. Also I am sure owning a ferrari is widespread within a "certain" socioeconomic group, but that doesnt make it widespread

It is widespread.
It is just not the majority.
J-Curve
But there won't be much job security.

factory trained service tech ?

plenty of job security if you are good , also independent garages and large fleet users are allways after factory trained techs ...
Ilora-Danon
Without any level 3 qualifications, it's fairly unlikely you'll be looking at a well paid job (40k+) no matter what industry you go into. Unfortunately, qualifications are what most employers want, compared to actual work experience. Qualifications show in paper form that you are skilled, competant and literate - and that's very important in a well paid job.

apprenticeships are generally combined with level 3 ( either NVQ or NC/ND) or 4 (HNC or NVQ) qualifications in the area of the apprenticeship ... sort of blows a hole in that theory...

a time served apprentice with the appropriate level 3 and 4 qualifications is very employable and has good earning potential, in the past when what is now a levle 4 qualification was enough to get people IEng it opened loads of doors all the way to the board - perhaps not as easy not that IEng is degree entry
samba
40k in medicine after 3 years?

in a job with an onerous banding meaning you are banded for +80% ...

otherwise mid 30s k looking at my SHO colleagues pay slips ...

i.e. not all that much more than experienced nurses are earning - though obviously when a doctor reaches Consultant grades earnings do take off...
Reply 93
acolyte
It is widespread.
It is just not the majority.

It's not, it's widesread in a small minority.

You also mention that the majority of people you know earn over £30k - well that just means people you know are focused in one demographic. The national average salary is £22,411.
Reply 94
RJ89
The national average salary is £22,411.

Source?
Reply 95
Angelil
Source?

ONS

22 grand job, in the city that's alright!

Latest

Trending

Trending