Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever pick terrible accents when you go abroad?

After spending 2 years in North America, I was horrified to have a Texan girl tell me the other day that I didn't have an accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)

After spending 2 years in North America, I was horrified to have a Texan girl tell me the other day that I didn't have an accent.
    Lol, I don't think I've ever been in a foreign country long enough for that to happen. The opposite happens I think, I seem to speak more Englishy when I go abroad, for some reason I like people knowing I come from England! I always wear my ENgland football top in foreign countries too

ReputationRep:
    i picked up an american one after spending time with an american pen pal and speaking to her on the fone all the time plus had an american boyfriend at the time!

ReputationRep:
    Not when abroad, but I pick up regional accents some times... I've come home with a geordie edge to my accent once, and I was only up there a few days :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    i picked up an american one after spending time with an american pen pal and speaking to her on the fone all the time plus had an american boyfriend at the time!
    I knew an English girl who would speak with an American accent and say she watched too many American shows when she was little. She was such an idiot.

What scares me, is that I can't hear anything American when I talk. When I really put one on, I sound like Bill Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    I knew an English girl who would speak with an American accent and say she watched too many American shows when she was little. She was such an idiot.

What scares me, is that I can't hear anything American when I talk. When I really put one on, I sound like Bill Clinton.
    lol wot a crap excuse for an accent.
    bill clinton? hmm interesting!

ReputationRep:
    lol wot a crap excuse for an accent.
    bill clinton? hmm interesting!
    For some weird reason, I think English people are better at putting on a Southern or Midwest hillbilly accent on than a true New Englander, New York or Californian accent. For example, Jude Law in Cold Mountain (though some Texan people told me his accent wasn't very good).

ReputationRep:
    For some weird reason, I think English people are better at putting on a Southern or Midwest hillbilly accent on than a true New Englander, New York or Californian accent. For example, Jude Law in Cold Mountain (though some Texan people told me his accent wasn't very good).
    the only word i can say in a new york ish accent is coffee....mayb its more a brooklyn accent. i think english people sound pretty ridiculous wen they put on american accents tho but americans just sound sweet wen they say things in an english accent. wen i went to new york this guy was like "alrite mate" in a cockney londoner accent and it was so cute lol

ReputationRep:
    When I go to Ireland, I sometimes say things in a bit of an Irish way for a while afterwards. Also, after hanging out with my Essex friends for so long - even though I had no trace of an Essex accent before, I did a little afterwards. Trying to get rid of it...

ReputationRep:
    the only word i can say in a new york ish accent is coffee....mayb its more a brooklyn accent. i think english people sound pretty ridiculous wen they put on american accents tho but americans just sound sweet wen they say things in an english accent. wen i went to new york this guy was like "alrite mate" in a cockney londoner accent and it was so cute lol
    in Boston, it sounds like "corfee". Yeh I agree about the English putting on American accents on... quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    my twin brother always goes really scottish abroad, wheras i go slightly more scouse. last week me and my mate in corfu pretended to be proper scallies all week (well when we were drunk), was funny stuff

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    i said bath instead of barth. i was so ashamed

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I went to France for a week and ended up speaking with a dutch accent :rolleyes: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Where did you say that?

ReputationRep:
    lol. i would never say barth. or grarss. but hey us northerners are common.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Where did you say that?
    in Lancarrrsta

ReputationRep:
    I went to this resisdential thing for 3 days and ended up speaking differently because of all the london lads, but now when I'm on the phone to them they sound very different!

ohhh my 1000th post! would you look at that...

ReputationRep:
    in Lancarrrsta
    Actually, that is one of the few names where I do say Lancaster!

But it is still Barrth though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    I went to this resisdential thing for 3 days and ended up speaking differently because of all the london lads, but now when I'm on the phone to them they sound very different!

ohhh my 1000th post! would you look at that...
    custard!!!!!!!! i haven't seen you in ages! CONGRATS!

ReputationRep:

Well, I might come back from japan with a weird accent.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.