Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Do you ever pick terrible accents when you go abroad?

After spending 2 years in North America, I was horrified to have a Texan girl tell me the other day that I didn't have an accent.
    I copy accents and throw them into convo, like when I'm talking normally, I'll just say one word differently because c'est drole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Do you ever pick terrible accents when you go abroad?

After spending 2 years in North America, I was horrified to have a Texan girl tell me the other day that I didn't have an accent.
    I used to spend most of my summers in California and even spent a year studying there so I can do an almost perfect californian accent but apart from picking a few more new phrases and perfecting the accent I'm fine.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt even have to go anywhere to pick up an accent...my friend from leicester came to stay for a couple of weeks, and by the time she had left i realised i was saying 'plant' and 'glasses' rather than 'plarnt' and glarsses' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'm terrible with accents- i learned to speak when i was in the north east, so i had a delightful mix of geordie and north yorkshire- which i immediately lsot when i went to belfast, where after 9 months, i came to the wirral with a strong NI accent. now i just sound 'posh scouse' as it is referred to. but when i speak to people with accents, i take on bits of their accent- e.g people with a strong indian accent have a hard english accent- which i develop partially when talking to them

i'm gonna come back at christmas from uni sounding very yah....woo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Actually, that is one of the few names where I do say Lancaster!

But it is still Barrth though!
    I agree! Me and my gordie cousin were having a convasation about this for hours. She says 'Bath' 'Glass' 'grass' etc, whereas I say 'Barth' 'glarse' 'grarss' etc!

ReputationRep:
    I have two accents, one is very well spoken and that is when I am sober, the other is scottish when I am drunk.

ReputationRep:
    I never leave SE England long enough to pick on up...

Though I found myself unable to shake off a Bristolian accent one evening after watching A Life Of Grime. And I sometimes pick up my friend's slight Yorkshire accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I never leave SE England long enough to pick on up...

Though I found myself unable to shake off a Bristolian accent one evening after watching A Life Of Grime. And I sometimes pick up my friend's slight Yorkshire accent.
    ooohhh, were in the south east do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    ooohhh, were in the south east do you live?
    Not Medway...

I'm on the edge of London.

Greater London/Surrey border.

ReputationRep:
    Not Medway...

I'm on the edge of London.

Greater London/Surrey border.
    I never said anything about medway.... but fair enough. Most people down my sector are common, very much so.

ReputationRep:
    I never said anything about medway.... but fair enough. Most people down my sector are common, very much so.
    Ah, it's just you've posted a couple of times asking if people were from that area, so I assumed that's what you meant. Ah, you have common scummy people (Chatham being the origin of the true Chav, of course..). But Kent is pretty damn posh, y'know... But like everywhere, there's nice areas and shite areas. The way it is and all.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it's just you've posted a couple of times asking if people were from that area, so I assumed that's what you meant. Ah, you have common scummy people (Chatham being the origin of the true Chav, of course..). But Kent is pretty damn posh, y'know... But like everywhere, there's nice areas and shite areas. The way it is and all.
    I live about 3 miles from chatham and I am very posh (well, well spoken).

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you that Wigan and Bolton are most chav populated areas in the country >.< lol there should be a population census on this or something, so we know which places to avoid

ReputationRep:
    I am very posh (well, well spoken).
    Not necessarily the same thing, surely? People speak French or English without necessarily being French or English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I can assure you that Wigan and Bolton are most chav populated areas in the country >.< lol there should be a population census on this or something, so we know which places to avoid

But Chav is short for Chatham Average. So the only true chavs are from Chatham. I guess it's like how people call everyone in London Cockney, but the only true Cockneys were born in a very small area of East London, within earshot of the Bow Bells.

Everyone will claim that they live in the area with the highest chav population density. That issue will never be solved truly.

And most chavvy people are alright. It's just you don't notice them when they don't bother you. It's just the loud rude ones that you notice, giving them all a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    But Chav is short for Chatham Average. So the only true chavs are from Chatham. I guess it's like how people call everyone in London Cockney, but the only true Cockneys were born in a very small area of East London, within earshot of the Bow Bells.

Everyone will claim that they live in the area with the highest chav population density. That issue will never be solved truly.

And most chavvy people are alright. It's just you don't notice them when they don't bother you. It's just the loud rude ones that you notice, giving them all a bad name.
    I live very close and very rarely will venture into chatham at night, it is far too dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    I live very close and very rarely will venture into chatham at night, it is far too dangerous.
    Thing is though, there are many places all over the country like that, and probably a fair few that are worse.
    I'm not accusing you of this, but a lot of people seem to think that the crap part of the town they live in is the worst shitehole going. Of course, if a place is dangerous, it's dangerous; I'm not saying everyone should go there 'cos there are worse places. I just think some people exaggerate a little too much.

There are nice areas and horrible areas all over the country. There are nice polite people and anti-social gits all over the country. The town you live in is just like any other in the country.

There, my off topic mini-rant that isn't very clear is done with, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is though, there are many places all over the country like that, and probably a fair few that are worse.
    I'm not accusing you of this, but a lot of people seem to think that the crap part of the town they live in is the worst shitehole going. Of course, if a place is dangerous, it's dangerous; I'm not saying everyone should go there 'cos there are worse places. I just think some people exaggerate a little too much.

There are nice areas and horrible areas all over the country. There are nice polite people and anti-social gits all over the country. The town you live in is just like any other in the country.

There, my off topic mini-rant that isn't very clear is done with, I think.
    Well, being a grunger, chavs don't like me all that much, that being the main reason why being in chatham after dark is inadvisable.

ReputationRep:
    Well, being a grunger, chavs don't like me all that much, that being the main reason why being in chatham after dark is inadvisable.
    Hmm, I really don't think that's a fair comment, saying all of them have a problem with you...

You don't notice the people who walk straight past you without giving you grief, just the people who make rude comments, or even worse. If you get abuse from people who are mostly of a certain social 'group' (uh.. chav..), you'll lump them all with that negative image. You forget that the majority of chavvy people just let you be, mainly because you never even noticed them in the first place.

And you have to remember that just as they make snide comments about you without knowing anything about you, you're making comments about them too. I don't care what people say about others, as long as they aren't shocked when they get it in return. Course, when it gets nasty and violent, it's plain wrong, but they're vicious little shits as individuals, not as a social stereotype.

Again, most of that aimed at people in general, not just wiwarin_mir...

ReputationRep:
    Spent a whole night with a bunch of people from NZ came out talkin lik a kiwi eh bru.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.