Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe bombing civilian areas to achieve military aims is justified? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSTF)
    As above.
    Mate, reality is that people in the West do not care about people outside of the their own country, especially people in in the middle east who have complete different skin colour, religion, culture, laws social norms, etc, to us.

So the average American is pretty unphased by death of a few civilian "sand n*gg***s" if it means an end to threat from ISIS and other muslim/terrorist groups.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSTF)
    As above.
    Targeting civilians is never justified in war.

However, if there are military targets within civilian areas it may be justified. Every effort must be taken to minimise civilians casualties.

One of the issues the Coalition Forces experienced during Afghanistan & Iraq was militants hiding in schools and hospitals. At that point when these people are essentially using children and the injured as human shields. Should the West just let them go? If they do, you then get every school filled with insurgents with every schoolchild as a human shield.

It's a difficult topic.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Targeting civilians is never justified in war.

However, if there are military targets within civilian areas it may be justified. Every effort must be taken to minimise civilians casualties.

One of the issues the Coalition Forces experienced during Afghanistan & Iraq was militants hiding in schools and hospitals. At that point when these people are essentially using children and the injured as human shields. Should the West just let them go? If they do, you then get every school filled with insurgents with every schoolchild as a human shield.

It's a difficult topic.

SS

So say Jihadi John came into your city to hide, and then a small radius of said city was bombed, only as well as him dying, your mother and father also died in it, would you feel the same?

That's not meant to come across as a criticism as you btw, it's a genuine question (even though I know it comes across as aggressive, but there's not really any other way to word it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil.)
    Mate, reality is that people in the West do not care about people outside of the their own country, especially people in in the middle east who have complete different skin colour, religion, culture, laws social norms, etc, to us.

So the average American is pretty unphased by death of a few civilian "sand n*gg***s" if it means an end to threat from ISIS and other muslim/terrorist groups.
    Inflammatory... but unfortunately seemingly true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSTF)
    So say Jihadi John came into your city to hide, and then a small radius of said city was bombed, only as well as him dying, your mother and father also died in it, would you feel the same?

That's not meant to come across as a criticism as you btw, it's a genuine question (even though I know it comes across as aggressive, but there's not really any other way to word it).
    This may sound like a cop out but I don't make decisions like that. And for that, I'm grateful.

Also, Jihadi John died last year in a US drone strike, so I'd probably call for a zombie hunter if he was in my city.

I would like to say that I'd be able to sacrifice for the greater good, however. Sacrificing yourself is one thing, sacrificing someone you love is a different one.

SS

ReputationRep:
    A very very hypothetical scenario
    Have you heard the term collateral damage?

ReputationRep:
    My personal opinion is that the places I'm assuming you're talking about - middle East war zones, etc. - pose a large threat to the secular, freer way of life in the west and therefore I do have to say sure, I think it's justifiable. But if you're talking about people in my own backyard then no. Hypocritical, sure, but that's the way I see it. Protect your own ^^

ReputationRep:
    Death of innocents is an inevitable part of war , although targeting large civilian areas to kill a few hostiles isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the situation.

WW2 for example was total war. That meant bombing all infrastructure and targeting the areas housing the civilians working in the enemy factories was a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    If it's total war, life and death war of annihilation - then yep - do what you have to. Otherwise, and in the modern context we are nowhere near unlimited war, then no.

ReputationRep:
    Deliberate targeting of civilians is completely unacceptable, but civilians live in those warzones and sometimes you get collateral damage simply from hitting a legitimate military target, or because one side places themselved among civilians deliberately.

If ISIS fighters prevent civilians from leaving an area which is being fought over (as is currently the case in Manbij, Syria), then civilian casualties are going to happen no matter what you do to reduce it. Civilian deaths can be reduced, but they can never be completely eliminated. But that shouldn't be used as an argument against legitimate military interventions.

ReputationRep:
    If there is human life in the civilian area then no. If there is not human life then yes it's fine.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    In certain circumstances yes.
    An attack or action must be intended to help in the military defeat of the enemy; it must be an attack on a military objective, and the harm caused to civilians or civilian property must be proportional and not excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.

If the enemy is going to place itself in civilian areas for protection, then they cant expect that to give them immunity from being attacked.
    So if there was a drone attack on a terrorist hiding in a civilian area, the attack is on the terrorist and not the civilians. they would weigh up whether the traget was worth the risk of collateral damage.

If Jihadi John came to hide in my house and then it was drone striked and my parents died, then ofc you wouldnt be happy they died. It would be understandable that Jihadi john had made you a target, so best not let him in. Why cnat Johadi john fight out in the open instead of being a coward and trying to use civilians as a human shield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSTF)
    As above.
    There should be a difference noted between intentionally bombing civilians (like Assad) and when civilians are killed unintentionally.

This was done indiscriminately by both sides during WW2. Then it was a case of trying to demoralize the enemy but it also had an effect on those carrying out the bombing.

These days it really should be a matter of last resort as weapons are much more precise.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.