The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

How long do people typically wait to hear back from unis after applying - I've got an interview for one of my choices, but have heard nothing from the other 2 universities and it's been 2 weeks now
Passed my literacy skills test today! Does anyone know how you alert your choices that you've passed? The entry box on track to update skills test details is too short for my candidate ID? :s-smilie:
Original post by runforseven
Passed my literacy skills test today! Does anyone know how you alert your choices that you've passed? The entry box on track to update skills test details is too short for my candidate ID? :s-smilie:

I just sent them a scanned copy of my certificates (though that was my confirmed 'firm'. If you're still waiting to attend interview and have passed I'd just take the certificate with you (that way if they give you an offer they can exclude it from their conditions). Every interview I had seemingly hadn't looked at my UCAS and asked again whether I had booked/passed/failed my tests!
Reply 303
How are people finding the skills test? I still have till the 22nd of December to do mine but maths is obvs stressing me out.
I'm new to this thread. Sorry if these questions have been asked before:

- What level of maths/ literacy is needed for the skills test?

- Any tips for writing your personal statement?

- Has anyone applied who is yet to complete work experience?
Original post by EbunA
How are people finding the skills test? I still have till the 22nd of December to do mine but maths is obvs stressing me out.

I took the literacy one today and it was much easier than the online practices, I whizzed through it in about 15minutes passed no problem.
Original post by blueoctopus
I would love to know how many places their are? I asked how long they were interviewing and was told at least until the 10th; i'm telling myself that they are waiting until then to decide but know people in other subjects who've been offered on the day.
I am not hopeful if I'm honest.

The ones around me were taking between 4 and 6. It's hard to know why they might wait before either giving an offer or not! I guess that sometimes it's because they're not sure, but I also think that maybe if people have been interviewed earlier and they've been given an offer, the providers then wait to see if those people accept that offer and go elsewhere before offering it to the next person. One of my interviewers said that with History they needed to get people interviewed and in the system early. With one of my providers they had had nearly 100 applications (for all subjects) within a couple of weeks!!! It could fill up very quickly, although I guess that even if they offered everyone a place, not everyone would accept, and every time someone declines it could go to the next one (that they may have already interviewed). I don't know! In the end I got offered a place by one of my places so I've accepted that!
Future trainees!

There's a growing community on facebook ready to support you and share questions and worries.

www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718
Reply 308
Hi,

I have applied for PGCE secondary biology to Edge Hill Uni, Deyes High School SCITT & Great Sankey HS School Direct.

I have two interviews:
13th Dec 16 - Deyes High
14th Dec 16 - Edge Hill

Deyes High have me stumped as they've asked for an artefact and to explain it's relevance as to why i want to become a teacher. Has anyone had any experience of something similar?

Has anyone been successful in getting a place in one of these institutions, has anyone had an interview here already? if so, how did it go?

Very nervous as I have never had an interview at University as I got an unconditional offer.

Sorry if I'm being long winded!

Emma
I had my interviews with Newcastle and Northumbria this week! I had Newcastle on Tuesday and they emailed me on Wednesday to say I had an offer :biggrin: I really liked both of them though, so I don't know which one I'll pick if I get an offer off Northumbria too. I'm so relieved to have all the interviews out of the way! Only the maths skills test in my way now :s-smilie:
Hi everyone,

How long after sending your application did you get interview offers? Also, does anyone know if the uni emails you even if you don't get an interview?
It's been 2 weeks and I've only heard from one choice! Annoyingly my second choice. Getting a bit worried....
Original post by SarahEmily1990
Hi everyone,

How long after sending your application did you get interview offers? Also, does anyone know if the uni emails you even if you don't get an interview?
It's been 2 weeks and I've only heard from one choice! Annoyingly my second choice. Getting a bit worried....

Hi!
I got my first interview within like a day and the second within about 5 days. Still waiting for one from my third though, but it's only been about a week since I sent my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nadinelia11
Hi!
I got my first interview within like a day and the second within about 5 days. Still waiting for one from my third though, but it's only been about a week since I sent my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, thanks :smile:
Just been called to interview at Sheffield!!!! So happy!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an offer from all of my places but now I'm not sure teaching is right for me. I can't see myself doing it in the long run. The working hours seem ridiculous and the kids can be relentless. Is it worth me still doing a PGCE or should I not do it?
Original post by letitiarw
I've got an offer from all of my places but now I'm not sure teaching is right for me. I can't see myself doing it in the long run. The working hours seem ridiculous and the kids can be relentless. Is it worth me still doing a PGCE or should I not do it?

I really wouldn't apply unless your 100% sure otherwise you'll just be miserable doing something you don't want to do. It's going to be a tough year and if your heart isn't it then it's waste of time. I'd leave it for now, if you change your mind you can always apply again next year :smile:
I've applied for Secondary RE PGCE at Winchester and Oxford.

I had my interview at Winchester on Thursday and they offered me a place which is great. The Oxford interview is on Tuesday but that's much more of an unknown quantity for me. I don't have much of an idea how the college system works and it's hard to tell from their websites the actual structure of their course and how it is assessed.

At least if I don't get an offer from Oxford I know I can stay at Winchester.
Original post by EbunA

where are you taking yours
Hiya! I passed my skills tests on Thursday and secured my offer! Wohooo, Cambridge here I come!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I'm happy to help in any way I can!
Have to have my skills tests booked by Wednesday for my interview, but my account got locked and won't be unlocked until Wednesday! Major stressing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending