The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Have you done the practice tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
How hard were the two tests. Someone told me the literacy test was quite difficult.

I found it slightly tricky. I find literacy more subjective than numeracy.

Make sure you do the practice tests. Concentrate on spelling and punctuation, as this is where the majority of marks come from.
Original post by Prisoner 24601
I found it slightly tricky. I find literacy more subjective than numeracy.

Make sure you do the practice tests. Concentrate on spelling and punctuation, as this is where the majority of marks come from.

Was it very similar to the practice tests? I.e. the level of difficulty ?

I found it a bit trickier, but that's because I overdosed on the 4 practice tests (I knew the numeracy wouldn't be an issue).

Most people found it a bit easier than the tests, so I am an outlier.

I can't emphasise enough on getting the punctuation right, this is the highest section to score from and if you can identify all 15 marks, will go a long way to getting a pass grade.
Both tests done. Buzzing for september now!!

A lot of ratio came up on my numeracy tests and a few equations I haven't seen before so be wary!! |Good luck all!

Hey, Numan. I found the practice tests harder than the real ones. Youtube: GA Numerical. I honestly used his videos and did the 4 online practice tests and passed both Literacy and Numeracy first time.
Hey does anyone know how the DBS checks work? Do we just send them photocopies of our documents when they ask for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vlvttunderground
Hey does anyone know how the DBS checks work? Do we just send them photocopies of our documents when they ask for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you will need to send the original documents.
I'm thinking of applying to a local SCITT and a local uni, and for my third choice either a not so local SCITT or a university in another city. I would prefer the other university if the distance doesn't impact on my chances, but while I have visited the university, I haven't visited any of the schools in that city. I also only have 5 days of school experience so far, and that's spread over three secondary schools. If it makes a difference, I'm applying for secondary maths.

What does TSR recommend? :smile:
Have you visited your local SCITT? I did experience in 3 schools, would only apply for 2 of them, and the 1 I got was by far and away the best of the 3, in terms of school and course fit for me. If school choice is important to you, then SCITT as you have only a few schools you could be placed at. Uni based you could be at a school a looong way from where you live.

If you can visit, call, find out what you can to make good choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bob0079
Have you visited your local SCITT? I did experience in 3 schools, would only apply for 2 of them, and the 1 I got was by far and away the best of the 3, in terms of school and course fit for me. If school choice is important to you, then SCITT as you have only a few schools you could be placed at. Uni based you could be at a school a looong way from where you live.

If you can visit, call, find out what you can to make good choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply :smile:

I've visited all SCITTs and universities I'm considering, and would be happy in either of the SCITT lead schools and also the other school I have been to. I think I'll ring up the out of city university to see how spread out their schools would be, although I wouldn't mind moving around term to term.
When are people applying for student finance? I get my degree classification in late june/july so should I wait til then?
Original post by thesmiths111
When are people applying for student finance? I get my degree classification in late june/july so should I wait til then?

You need to apply by 26th May to make sure that you get your money in time for your course start date.
Original post by thesmiths111

You need to apply now. You dont have to wait for results. I applied weeks ago & only got confirmation this week. It takes minimum 6wks but mine took longer.
Hi guys,

I have a conditional offer for the Primary PGCE at UCL/IoE. One of the conditions is that I need to get a minimum of 10 days experience in a UK state-maintained inner city primary school. I thought that it would be relatively easy to get this experience but so far both of the schools that I have contacted have turned down my request to help out for 2 weeks.

Is there anything in particular that primary schools are looking for when they accept or turn down request for work experience? I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Thank you!
Original post by Rose M.
Hi guys,

I have a conditional offer for the Primary PGCE at UCL/IoE. One of the conditions is that I need to get a minimum of 10 days experience in a UK state-maintained inner city primary school. I thought that it would be relatively easy to get this experience but so far both of the schools that I have contacted have turned down my request to help out for 2 weeks.

Is there anything in particular that primary schools are looking for when they accept or turn down request for work experience? I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Thank you!

Hi, I have an offer from Durham for Secondary Biology PGCE but also require 10 primary days on top of my other experience.

When I got my offer back in November I contacted 15 primary schools, all with "no, we can't accommodate you" as the reply. Finally, I contacted my old primary school in the village where my parents live. Coincidentally, the head teacher is the same and recognised my name. The only reason I managed to get 10 days is because of me being a former student. I recently visited for an induction and explained my difficulty in finding primary school experience and the head admitted that if she hadn't recognised my name she would have turned me down too!

Despite those reasons being ridiculous (IMO), I would try contacting your local primary schools and/or your old primary school if you are a recent-ish school leaver. Failing that, I would contact your course provider explaining your difficulties- they might be able to put you in touch with someone.

Good luck :smile:
Hi Everyone,

I previously had an offer for Secondary Maths at Bath Spa, but I have reassessed my subject based on quite a bit of classroom based experience (One of these being a maternity maths supply teacher).

I realise Chemistry is also a shortage subject and am considering an application for that or Biology.

Just wanted some advice on which subject I'd be more likely to be accepted for considering my degree is Genetics (2.2) with some Chemistry and Biochemistry modules.

Please help!
If your offer with Bath is for this year, then have a chat with them and see what they say. They may just move you to whichever subject you prefer.

If not, then I would say it is down to how you do your application. If you want chemistry, make your application more chemistry based with your knowledge and experience. Same for biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bob0079
If your offer with Bath is for this year, then have a chat with them and see what they say. They may just move you to whichever subject you prefer.

If not, then I would say it is down to how you do your application. If you want chemistry, make your application more chemistry based with your knowledge and experience. Same for biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've written it as 'Science' at the moment.

If I apply to UCL, King's and St. Mary's would I be looking at 2 rejections?

I think if I just make it to interview I'll probably be ok from there.
Reply 539
Hi

Has anyone done the Professional Skills Test (Literacy). If so, how accurate is Steve Padget's spelling words? Or the words on Quizlet? And is there a chance they may come up in the actual test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending