Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm going into my 3rd year at university and I need to start thinking of my dissertation. I'm a sociology student but I am really interested in women's rugby and this is what i'd like to base my dissertation around. However I'm stuck with what question or title i could ask. All topics such as perception or changes over time seem interesting but I'm not sure it's enough to give a good and original research piece. Any ideas or help would be really appreciated!

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Talk to potential supervisors and see what they suggest. You can't come up with something alone because you need to check if it's feasible and suitable. Have a read around stuff that interests you before to talk to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RugbyCookie123)
    Hi Guys,

I'm going into my 3rd year at university and I need to start thinking of my dissertation. I'm a sociology student but I am really interested in women's rugby and this is what i'd like to base my dissertation around. However I'm stuck with what question or title i could ask. All topics such as perception or changes over time seem interesting but I'm not sure it's enough to give a good and original research piece. Any ideas or help would be really appreciated!

Cheers
    One interesting angle may be to develop a questionnaire and give them to a male and female rugby team to compare. It could be something along 'investigation into the differences in understanding of the rules between male and female teams' or you could try and do a quantitative study into violence over a season.

Often people come to me because they get stuck on their dissertations. I always suggest that whatever they do make sure they are interested in the subject and do something that will be useful. Some students from last year wanted to work in Youth Justice or the Police and based their dissertations on them. This was a really good topic for interview prep too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.