Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Arrrgh! I still want to go into student accommodation but has anyone checked on the website? The catered halls in Fallowfield have gone up from about £3500 to £3700-£4000! Why?!

ReputationRep:
    wow! Thats quite an increase. No matter how much they put their prices up year on year, people will still be willing to pay, such is the demand for manchester. What made you go for catered ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm a rubbish cook! And also, I get the impression that it's easier to overspend if one is self-catered plus self-catered people have to make their own food which is time-consuming. But in my second year then I will probably go self-catered cos I suppose you do get more freedom that way (like you don't have to get up at certain times and be at the halls in time for dinner etc).

ReputationRep:
    Yikes! I just looked at some of the self-catered halls like Oak House and Sheavyn House and they have also had a price hike of about £200-£300! Waah! It's a bit annoying cos the whole time I was applying for accommodation, I thought I was going to be paying about £3500 but they chose NOW to put their prices up-grr!

ReputationRep:
    haha very sly off them to put it up, just before the new intake Iv just checked my accommodation its £2,504 for the year. Works out about £8 increase for every week compared to last years prices. Its well above the rate of inflation, but we do have to take into account the uni has to get additional funding from somewhere i.e. the price increases for halls.

I hope i end up with people who can actually cook :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIPESH.V)

I hope i end up with people who can actually cook :p:
    hell yeah...i meant to have learnt this year...but that hasn't happened.

erk
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They always go up, I suppose it's better than keeping them steady for a few years and then hitting people with an unexpected massive increase.

ReputationRep:
    Property in South Manchester is getting more expensive each year. I am sure the increases are inline with rent increases on the private market.

ReputationRep:
    it went up last year aswell, it always does!

Jx

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so but it's mean to tell us last year's prices then say oh actually no :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana)
    They always go up, I suppose it's better than keeping them steady for a few years and then hitting people with an unexpected massive increase.
    I'll tell you what's annoying: Specially going to the accommodation office asking how much the rise is expected to be and getting the response of "2-3% - in line with inflation this year". And from the basis of this information deciding to re-apply to halls, putting your £150 deposit down. Then, many months later, a letter showing a sum that is actually about a 10.7% increase arrives!!! I would say 10.7% is a 'massive increase', nowhere near the 2.4% inflation figure! What are they actually going to do with all this money. If I go back and my room doesn't have ensuite (I'm in GSB) and a plasma screen radio (hate TV) - I will be very upset indeed.

I guess it's just coincidence that the University is 20-30 million in the red.

Kit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitstone)
    If I go back and my room doesn't have ensuite (I'm in GSB) and a plasma screen radio (hate TV) - I will be very upset indeed.

Kit
    You will be very upset indeed in that case. It's GSB... one of the cheapest halls in Manchester - if not the cheapest!

and they've always been up on the rise. when i lived there for 05/06, it was £2300-odd for the year.

ReputationRep:

Aww! My beloved university is that much in the red? In that case I guess I don't mind paying £300 extra cos I love UoM! :love:

ReputationRep:

Just out off interest, where did you obtain that figure from ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIPESH.V)
    Just out off interest, where did you obtain that figure from ?
    Depending on where you look. 20million from UoM financial statements, 30million from Guardian lol.

'A letter sent to all staff on March 2 by the university's president and vice-chancellor, Prof Alan Gilbert, explained the background to the debt and the need for job cuts.

A third of the debt was predicted following the merger of the two universities, and another £10m was due to a deliberate decision to move further into the red to build up the new university's research base. The remaining £10m can be attributed to the 10 per cent rise in the payroll following national wage settlements between 2005 and 2006 and the doubling of energy costs, he explained.

Prof Gilbert said the decision to transform a "very good university into a world leader" was "always going to involve genuine, effective 're-profiling', not just spectacular growth".'

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...037779,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Depending on where you look. 20million from UoM financial statements, 30million from Guardian lol.
    Actually, saying that the end of the financial year for the University is coming up (31 July) so the £20.7m figure is for the 12 months to 31 July 2006 - so It'll probably look more like £30m when the new statements are published.

Plus for the size of the University and the income generated from the investment and research it isn't as bad as it looks.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, saying that the end of the financial year for the University is coming up (31 July) so the £20.7m figure is for the 12 months to 31 July 2006 - so It'll probably look more like £30m when the new statements are published.

Plus for the size of the University and the income generated from the investment and research it isn't as bad as it looks.

I hope it's not as bad as it looks...

ReputationRep:
    er, thats nothing...i lived in catertered private halls that used to cost £3500 and had done for a few years but my year they decided to bump it up to £4640....a big jump? claimed it was for the "electric bills surge" but then they claimed they had loads of money left and redid the entire building!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.