Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Business Society (UKL BusSoc) watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there one? I've looked but found nothing! If not...we now have one

ReputationRep:
    Discussions can be on anything from general GCSE/A Level studies and general events.

Founder:

miss_piddles

Members are:

1. Knight-Errant
    2. jumpunderaboat
    3. Misbah Imtiaz
    4. Verena
    5. TheWolf
    6. IntegralNeo
    7. choco_frog_chic
    8. Christiano
    9. eddy leung
    10. GSS
    11. confused?
    12. thunderstorm
    13. Iluvatar

ReputationRep:
    I'm in! I'm in! I'll help answer some q's and stuff but I have none of my own. I finished my A2's end of June.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be in, I do Business A level, hoping to do industrial economics at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've added you both in

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can I join too? I did AS Business and I really liked it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    please add me as well

Verena

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_piddles)
    Is there one? I've looked but found nothing! If not...we now have one
    ill join

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verena)
    please add me as well

Verena
    I've added you, Misbah Imtiaz and TheWolf in

ReputationRep:
    I've added you and TheWolf in
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Since, we have got a few ppl on here now...lets discuss something!
    What do you think about the Euro? Do you think GB should join or boycott it? Would it benefit the public?....

ReputationRep:
    Since, we have got a few ppl on here now...lets discuss something!
    What do you think about the Euro? Do you think GB should join or boycott it? Would it benefit the public?....
    talk about your own opinion first!

ReputationRep:
    Surely this is Econ, I know theres overlap but still...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Surely this is Econ, I know theres overlap but still...
    business is in itself, partly based on economics..what u sayin :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    business is in itself, partly based on economics..what u sayin :rolleyes:
    Bascially shouldn't we be talking about current business issues such as the Phillip Green situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Bascially shouldn't we be talking about current business issues such as the Phillip Green situation.
    Yeah, I think that is a valid topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    talk about your own opinion first!
    Persnally, I'm for the Euro. Along with my own views, here is some more that I have learned from class:
    1.Citizens can travel more easily within the euro area without the hassle of changing currencies every time they cross a border, and are better able to compare prices since they can use their own currency anywhere in the euro area.

2.Travelling outside the euro area is also easier since the euro is an international currency and therefore widely accepted in many places outside the euro area, particularly in tourist destinations.

3.Elimination of exchange rate fluctuations: this provides a more stable environment for trade within the euro area by reducing risks and uncertainties for both importers and exporters, who previously had to factor currency movements into their costs.

4.Independent research suggests that the euro has already fostered significant growth in trade within the euro area.

5.Businesses are better able to plan their investment decisions because of reduced uncertainties.

6.Elimination of the various transaction costs related to the exchange and/or the management of different currencies due to elimination of exchange rate fluctuations. For example, the costs resulting from:
    - foreign exchange operations themselves, i.e. buying and selling foreign currencies;

- hedging operations intended to protect companies from adverse exchange rate movements;

- cross-border payments in foreign currencies, which are typically more expensive and slower than domestic operations;

- management of several currency accounts, which complicates currency management and internal accounting systems.

7.Price transparency: consumers and businesses can compare prices of goods and services more easily when always expressed in the same currency;

8.Enhanced competition: easier price comparisons foster competition and hence lead to lower prices in the short to medium run. Consumers, wholesalers and traders can buy from the cheapest source, thus putting pressure on companies trying to charge a higher price. Companies can no longer charge the highest price each national market will bear;

9.More opportunities for consumers: the single currency makes it simpler for consumers to travel and to buy goods and services abroad, particularly when coupled with the progress of e-commerce;

10.More attractive opportunities for foreign investors: a large single market with a single currency means investors can do business throughout the euro area with minimal disruption and can also take advantage of a more stable economic environment.

11. A single currency zone opens up huge opportunities for both capital suppliers (savers and investors), and capital users (private or corporate borrowers and issuers of equity capital.
    Savers benefit from a wider and more diversified offer of investment and saving opportunities. Investors can spread their risks more easily, and have an appetite for riskier ventures. Private and corporate borrowers as well as equity issuers benefit from better funding opportunities because money is easier to raise on capital markets.

12. Having a single currency and an economic and monetary union strengthens Europe’s role in international fora and organisations like the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

13. As a world currency, the euro is taking on an important role as an international investment and reserve currency.
    The euro has already become a major currency in which to borrow money: issues of international securities denominated in euro now rival dollar issues.

14. Use of the euro in international trade is also expanding, reflecting Europe’s weight in the world economy.
    A single currency makes Europe a strong partner to trade with and facilitates access to a genuine single market for foreign companies, who will benefit from lower costs of doing business in Europe.

15. The option of pricing goods and commodities in euro (such as oil and metals for example) will become more attractive over time.

16.The euro is a symbol of common identity, shared values and the success of European integration in bringing the peoples and nations of Europe together.

17.It acts as a stimulus to further integration by showing that common action by Member States can bring widespread benefits to all those who take part.

I've got some more advantages of the Euro aswell, but I think those are enough for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think that is a valid topic
    Apparently he has withdrawn his bid for M&S.
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...179675,00.html

ReputationRep:
    I think M&S have a job to do now and it will be hard. I think concentrating on the new ministores is bad idea, they're only small stores with a small contribution and fewer consumers compared to the larger M&S supermarkets. I think changing the stores (layout, stock/target consumer demographic) would be more worthwhile but it also costs more. Maybe M&S have the money or will have the money as people begin to have faith in M&S when Phil walks away. Also, due to one member of my family working at M&S it seems there are issues with staff motivation and overworking/ staff shortages. Depending on how much people value service over the actual product (range) tackling the employee problems might be more beneficial but catering to the consumers may be better. It all needs researching. But researching takes time. In time, Philip Green could...

ReputationRep:
    Saw this on the BBC website, quite interesting...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3899691.stm

I think it demostrates M&S have got a strong brand to build upon, but they I think they really should try and focus their target demographic and cut their losses with regards to "our generation".

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.