Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into some Private Halls, Scape Greenwich, in just over one month's time. At least, I was hoping to. The halls are definitely premium, and the rent is expensive but as I planned to cohabit it seemed manageable.

Unfortunately I didn't count on their payment system being byzantine and insane. I am now required to pay £6,300 by the 17th of August as a downpayment on the first third of rent for the full year (the contract is for 51 weeks).

I can't do that. I don't have a rich family, and I don't have anything to my name personally. Even if they would wait until my student loan came in, the cost would cripple me. I've already paid a prohibitively expensive deposit.

There's nothing they're willing to do to help me. My only out now is to find someone to replace me. But at such short notice, and with a financial commitment that large and immediate, that isn't feasible either. Even if I managed, I still have barely over a month to find somewhere else to live. I doubt my university will have any room in halls this late in the day.

I don't know what I expect anyone to say, but I'm asking for advice anyway. It doesn't seem real at the moment but I know that I'm beneath the crest of a huge wave made entirely of human faeces and I want to get away while there's still a sliver of hope. I'll appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you.

P.S. I know this is a mess largely of my own making, and I assure you I have learned my lesson. My only goal now is to solve the immediate problem at hand, and I'll do some introspection and self-improvement when I have a roof over my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I'm moving into some Private Halls, Scape Greenwich, in just over one month's time. At least, I was hoping to. The halls are definitely premium, and the rent is expensive but as I planned to cohabit it seemed manageable.

Unfortunately I didn't count on their payment system being byzantine and insane. I am now required to pay £6,300 by the 17th of August as a downpayment on the first third of rent for the full year (the contract is for 51 weeks).

I can't do that. I don't have a rich family, and I don't have anything to my name personally. Even if they would wait until my student loan came in, the cost would cripple me. I've already paid a prohibitively expensive deposit.

There's nothing they're willing to do to help me. My only out now is to find someone to replace me. But at such short notice, and with a financial commitment that large and immediate, that isn't feasible either. Even if I managed, I still have barely over a month to find somewhere else to live. I doubt my university will have any room in halls this late in the day.

I don't know what I expect anyone to say, but I'm asking for advice anyway. It doesn't seem real at the moment but I know that I'm beneath the crest of a huge wave made entirely of human faeces and I want to get away while there's still a sliver of hope. I'll appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you.

P.S. I know this is a mess largely of my own making, and I assure you I have learned my lesson. My only goal now is to solve the immediate problem at hand, and I'll do some introspection and self-improvement when I have a roof over my head.
    Finding somewhere else shouldn't be an issue, there will be some private halls with places and people looking for someone to fill a spot in a flatshare, in London house shares are typically organised last minute, spare room is a good website for looking ffor a houseshare.

However in terms of what to do about the current place, advertise advertise advertise everywhere you can and try and get a job asap in case.

ReputationRep:
    you're going to be paying 18k in rent? wow...

well there's no advice anyone can give you further than the obvious get a job and pray someone will take the room at some point (although with rent that high it seems doubtful), if you've tied yourself into a contract they will chase you legally for the money... just keep paying whatever you can and see if you can set up any sort of payment plan

it's possibly worth considering if you can offer someone else the room at a discount or something and pay a few thousand towards the year, might make it more likely someone takes it, I can't imagine there are many people able to pay that much in rent

ReputationRep:
    Get a copy of the contract, read it carefully and share it with the university and the students union. Failing that (or as well as), Citizens Advice Bureau.

(My personal view is that there is gross misselling of private halls going on to the vulnerable)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.