Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I work in a fast food restaurant part time to help ends meet whilst at uni and I have to consistently deal with a group of horrible chavvy girls who come in in the evenings, insult the restaurant and insult the staff, including me. Normally I don't get mad about them but this particular day they were being particularly nasty and one of them threatened to 'smash my head into a mop bucket' whilst I was cleaning around them. Naturally I defended myself verbally and they proceeded to reel off insults aimed at my clothes, my job, my ambitions and my appearance in general whilst still threatening me.

If one of these chav girls did ever hit me first would I face criminal charges for hitting them back in self defence as they are 16 and I'm 22? We are both females.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus you should never have to put up with that!! Where is your manager when this is happening?

When I used to work evenings in a shop part time, if teens ever made threats and insulted staff I'm sure my manager would have firmly told them to leave the store. It's disgraceful that you have to repeatedly put up with that behaviour from the same girls.

(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Jesus you should never have to put up with that!! Where is your manager when this is happening?

When I used to work evenings in a shop part time, if teens ever made threats and insulted staff I'm sure my manager would have firmly told them to leave the store. It's disgraceful that you have to repeatedly put up with that behaviour from the same girls.
    I've told the managers and even the police about them multiple times but nothing much ever comes of it. They get 'banned' but because there's so many different managers and they don't really care they just let them in and serve them anyway. These girls really need a good slapping and whilst I'm not a violent person if they hit me first I'm 100% going to hit them back because they need to be taught a lesson, horrible chavvy little sluts. Would I get in trouble for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've told the managers and even the police about them multiple times but nothing much ever comes of it. They get 'banned' but because there's so many different managers and they don't really care they just let them in and serve them anyway. These girls really need a good slapping and whilst I'm not a violent person if they hit me first I'm 100% going to hit them back because they need to be taught a lesson, horrible chavvy little sluts. Would I get in trouble for it?
    Mate, if anyone (regardless if they were a female or male) attempted to 'smash my head' after many warnings, they'd get no second chance, their limbs would be dysfunctional for the rest of their lives. If anyone attacks you, you have the absolute right to defend yourself. The CCTV cameras are there.

(Original post by mercuryman)
    Mate if anyone (regardless if they were a female or male) attempted to 'smash my head' they'd get no second chance, their limbs would be dysfunctional for the rest of their lives.
    Yeah but I don't want a criminal record because I'm the adult and she's a 'minor' because I want to be a doctor one day and I don't want a stain on my record. God knows getting into medicine is tough enough without having a potential 'assault of a minor' on my record

ReputationRep:
    I work in a fast food restaurant part time to help ends meet whilst at uni and I have to consistently deal with a group of horrible chavvy girls who come in in the evenings, insult the restaurant and insult the staff, including me. Normally I don't get mad about them but this particular day they were being particularly nasty and one of them threatened to 'smash my head into a mop bucket' whilst I was cleaning around them. Naturally I defended myself verbally and they proceeded to reel off insults aimed at my clothes, my job, my ambitions and my appearance in general whilst still threatening me.

If one of these chav girls did ever hit me first would I face criminal charges for hitting them back in self defence as they are 16 and I'm 22? We are both females.
    While it's virtually illegal to defend yourself these days you're allowed to use "reasonable force" when necessary.

The problem is if one punch is deemed as such and you've thrown a few more for good measure in the heat of the moment you'll end up facing criminal charges.

Just ignore them safe in the knowledge that you'll be doing well after your degree while they're on the dole.

On a side note any manager/owner worth their salt would bar them and you should demand(politely of course ) that they do.

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to advise you - we're not lawyers, and any sort of legal advice over the internet (even with lawyers) is a really bad idea. I suspect there is a clause about using appropriate force to act in self-defense, but it's a messy legal process.

I'm sure you can report them to the relevant authorities for the insults and verbal aggression - it should constitute a form of harassment or anti-social behaviour. Ideally you'd want to document this well and if you reasonably believe that they may cause harm to you - a restraining order could be requested. If they are in breach of that, then I'm sure they could be placed into custody.

Retail jobs in general involves a lot of dealing with aggravated (sometimes rightly so) and abusive clients, it just comes with the territory. Is it an idea to consider changing either a) your duties, or b) your workplace?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I don't want a criminal record because I'm the adult and she's a 'minor' because I want to be a doctor one day and I don't want a stain on my record. God knows getting into medicine is tough enough without having a potential 'assault of a minor' on my record
    I completely understand, you're in a very troublesome predicament. I would leave the job if the manager fails to do anything about it. I know it's tough getting a job and all, but no job is worth getting abused like that. Obviously, I wasn't suggesting extreme retaliation against them unless your life was at risk. (like they pull out a knife or something)

ReputationRep:
    I forgot - you said they threatened to "smash your head in". That sounds good enough to charge them with some sort of harassment offense, it could easily be construed as a threat to use of a deadly weapon on another person and/or to injure another person.

I'd phone the authorities as soon as possible, and make a statement. Ideally you could speak to a supportive colleague who's happy to act as a witness, and management if they can provide CCTV footage to further your case.

(Original post by Rather_Cynical)
    It's really hard to advise you - we're not lawyers, and any sort of legal advice over the internet (even with lawyers) is a really bad idea. I suspect there is a clause about using appropriate force to act in self-defense, but it's a messy legal process.

I'm sure you can report them to the relevant authorities for the insults and verbal aggression - it should constitute a form of harassment or anti-social behaviour. Ideally you'd want to document this well and if you reasonably believe that they may cause harm to you - a restraining order could be requested. If they are in breach of that, then I'm sure they could be placed into custody.

Retail jobs in general involves a lot of dealing with aggravated (sometimes rightly so) and abusive clients, it just comes with the territory. Is it an idea to consider changing either a) your duties, or b) your workplace?
    My managers are useless and nothing ever happens, should I go straight to the police with it although it happened a few days ago now?

(Original post by JamesN88)
    While it's virtually illegal to defend yourself these days you're allowed to use "reasonable force" when necessary.

The problem is if one punch is deemed as such and you've thrown a few more for good measure in the heat of the moment you'll end up facing criminal charges.

Just ignore them safe in the knowledge that you'll be doing well after your degree while they're on the dole.

On a side note any manager/owner worth their salt would bar them and you should demand(politely of course ) that they do.
    (Original post by Rather_Cynical)

Thanks people, I'll be speaking to senior management about it tomorrow morning and I've been in touch with the police

ReputationRep:

you should report them to your manager but if anything more serious than verbal insults like if they hit you should tell your manager and report it to the police.

ReputationRep:
    speak to your manager, she may be happy for you to not serve the customer or to ask them to leave/call the police if they are aggressive/threatening

if they won't take any action just ignore them, they are silly children why let them ruin your day? they're not actually going to hurt you (or it's extremely unlikely anyway), if they do try and hurt you I think you can basically use whatever force is necessary to protect yourself, which means you should really try and walk away or restrain her (or sk colleagues for help) rather than punch her back

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.