The Student Room Group

Why are people buying tickets for freshers events already?

I'm just wondering because I've seen a lot of groups on Facebook posting things, and there seems to be a lot of people buying tickets already. Even people in the group chat I'm a part of have been buying some tickets and arranging things. All of them are saying 'selling out fast.' I feel as if I'm being left behind here, as I'm not rushing out to arrange things for September because results day hasn't even been.

How do they even know they're going to university yet, and which exact university? Why does nobody seem to be waiting until after results day? Should I be worried about not going to any events because I haven't bought tickets yet?
Reply 1
Original post by Save.Me
Should I be worried about not going to any events because I haven't bought tickets yet?

Not in the slightest.

It's way too early to be worrying about tickets, and events that require tickets are likely to only play a small part of freshers anyway. People who succumb to the 'selling out fast' warnings are idiots, and there are going to be idiots at any university.
Because they are naive freshers XD
Reply 3
There's loads of those in our freshers group. I'm just going to wait and see what the SU do
Reply 4
Don't bother. If those tickets allow you into every event, chances are you won't even go to half of them because you're doing something else or it's crap. So I'd say pay at the door for things you'll save money that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Save.Me

How do they even know they're going to university yet, and which exact university? Why does nobody seem to be waiting until after results day? Should I be worried about not going to any events because I haven't bought tickets yet?

Some people already know because they had a deferred entry, got unconditionals or are doing courses like BTEC where they learn their grades as they go. Or maybe are just confident in their results. So since they already know or feel confident, it's cheaper to buy now.
Loads of people wait until the results day, it's just not something you need to talk about while, if you're buying the tickets now ,you'd maybe want to ask some questions first before you do.

Someone actually created a poll on my university Facebook fresher's group. So far 42 bought the fortnight ticket, 27 are waiting to meet flatmates or not going at all and 12 are waiting to see if they got in. 7 extra who said they're not getting it and 3 only got one week band. So it's pretty evenly split up.
Reply 6
I think another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of these people posting are ticket sellers or promoters, so they may just be saying these things to increase interest and get people buying.
you'll still be able to buy tickets closer to the time or probably on the door so don't worry about it

people just get in a panic about missing out and rush but as someone else said you won't attend every event so it's a waste to buy loads of tickets even if you're confident of your place
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
you'll still be able to buy tickets closer to the time or probably on the door so don't worry about it

people just get in a panic about missing out and rush but as someone else said you won't attend every event so it's a waste to buy loads of tickets even if you're confident of your place

I wouldn't go for buying at the door, the queues can be huge, you may have to wait for an hour just to get your turn. But the wristbands are usually on sale the whole time through, it just gets more expensive later. Like first release may cost £30 while the third release may be £50
Considering how ***** freshers events are, I wouldn't bother :tongue:
Original post by Devify
I wouldn't go for buying at the door, the queues can be huge, you may have to wait for an hour just to get your turn. But the wristbands are usually on sale the whole time through, it just gets more expensive later. Like first release may cost £30 while the third release may be £50

yeah true and you don't want your mates going 'I'll meet you in there' and you never see them again... but there's certainly no need to buy before results
Original post by Save.Me
I'm just wondering because I've seen a lot of groups on Facebook posting things, and there seems to be a lot of people buying tickets already. Even people in the group chat I'm a part of have been buying some tickets and arranging things. All of them are saying 'selling out fast.' I feel as if I'm being left behind here, as I'm not rushing out to arrange things for September because results day hasn't even been.

Hello :smile:

It's not something to worry about, generally Freshers tickets do sell at fast but then come the time, there will always be people selling tickets and stuff near the time because they can't use them etc. People just like to be prepared and what not. Some people buy tickets because of the offers they gave been given and as I said, just because they liked to be prepared.

They don't know they have got into university but if they are certain of the one they want to go too then they can start buying them - worse comes to worse you sell your tickets. It isn't uncommon for this to happen but don't worry. They'll be tickets and more tickets for Freshers events are external clubs and stuff - it's only some SU events, if any, that release tickets for theirs.

Quick Reply