OCR B, Salters Chemistry: is OCR the hardest Exam Board for AS and A-Level Chemistry?

Watch
ALoneRanger
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been told by teachers/students etc. that chemistry on the OCR Exam Board is the hardest in terms of content, knowledge and exams in comparison to studying Chemistry on the Edexcel or AQA Exam Boards at A-Level, for example. Apparently OCR is a difficult exam board anyway in terms of "level of difficulty" in exams, but I'm wondering, from those who have taken A-Level chemistry and are on the OCR B exam board, just how hard is the content covered? And how hard are the exams?
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ALoneRanger)
I've been told by teachers/students etc. that chemistry on the OCR Exam Board is the hardest in terms of content, knowledge and exams in comparison to studying Chemistry on the Edexcel or AQA Exam Boards at A-Level, for example. Apparently OCR is a difficult exam board anyway in terms of "level of difficulty" in exams, but I'm wondering, from those who have taken A-Level chemistry and are on the OCR B exam board, just how hard is the content covered? And how hard are the exams?
Personally I actually found the OCR B course pretty easy, but i think I was lucky to have good teachers. Most students found Chemistry at my school to be their hardest a level. Although it can't be all that much different from other exam boards tbh, they just teaching the same info in a different order - although things some people found hard were that the final exam tests you on stuff from both years of the course (like, everything you've learnt up to that point) and there's a bit coursework project in the A2 year (which was one of my favorite things during a levels, but I guess if lab work isn't your thing it can be very challenging).

I obviously haven't taken the Chemistry exams from other exam boards so can't really make a fair comparison, but I would say that the course prepared me very well for studying Chemistry at uni, I perhaps was a little further ahead than others - possibly indicating that the course is a bit more challenging, but definitely worthwhile if you're considering doing a degree related to Chemistry.
aishaishbaby123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously chemistry is by no means an easy subject. But, I think having ocr b as a syllabus makes it harder.
If you look at the grade boundaries for the as exams 2016 and compare them with those of OCR A chemistry, you'll get what I mean. The grade boundaries were visibly lower with OCR b
HopelessMedic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The content of B seems to be more difficult, but as said above the grade boundaries are laughably low. I got an A in the AS this year despite thinking I had got a C.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (56)
37.58%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (15)
10.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (7)
4.7%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (33)
22.15%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
16.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
9.4%

Watched Threads