Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do l need to do to become a Sales (ICT career)?

Besides taking an ICT course at University?

ReputationRep:
    At many places you wouldn't even need an IT or technology specific degree. Any basic degree but with an interest for sales will get you a job within IT sales.

ReputationRep:
    Sales isn't about knowledge. It is about not taking no for an answer and saying absolutely anything and everything if it increases your bonus. Sales people are a breed apart from the average. I'm not saying don't be interested in tech, but most sales folks I have met are more interested in cash.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Sales isn't about knowledge. It is about not taking no for an answer and saying absolutely anything and everything if it increases your bonus. Sales people are a breed apart from the average. I'm not saying don't be interested in tech, but most sales folks I have met are more interested in cash.

Good luck!
    No wonder why my teacher said its the best paid IT career in London or Birmingham. But l don't care about that because l have been interested for 3 years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.chantele)
    No wonder why my teacher said its the best paid IT career in London or Birmingham. But l don't care about that because l have been interested for 3 years now.
    If you are good at selling, you can probably make a packet in any industry. I can't help feel that IT sales is a slog though. I had some poor IT sales guy pitch something or other to me once. It was dull as dishwater and I couldn't help but feel he was flogging a dead horse.

A career in IT though is a good move and gives you lots of options, from development to administration, networking and infrastructure. At present, there are lots of jobs and salaries are generally high compared to other careers. But that said, most engineering jobs do attract good salaries once you get through the first 5 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    If you are good at selling, you can probably make a packet in any industry. I can't help feel that IT sales is a slog though. I had some poor IT sales guy pitch something or other to me once. It was dull as dishwater and I couldn't help but feel he was flogging a dead horse.

A career in IT though is a good move and gives you lots of options, from development to administration, networking and infrastructure. At present, there are lots of jobs and salaries are generally high compared to other careers. But that said, most engineering jobs do attract good salaries once you get through the first 5 years or so.
    Yeah l did have a "talk" with my teachers, they did say any careers in health or IT would demand you high pay. But l care about the way l will be when l do that career, l want to be happy doing it and not do it because l have too.

It's a big decision🤔

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.