Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to try a vegan diet for a few months , any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Definitley try the Vegetarian side. You'll used to it like that. If you are a fan of meat, then do try of the Quorn/meat-free meat that can be bought from Holland and Barett. And also watch "Freelee the Banana Girl" on youtube. She's a Vegan. Good luck!!
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe try building up your repertoire of vegan dishes by cooking them initially a few times a week and then build up the number until you feel confident in cutting everything else out completely?

ReputationRep:
    It took me about 6 months in all but I just did a bit of trial and error replacing each non vegan thing I ate one at a time trying different vegan brands till I found a suitable substitute here are some of my swaps -
    Danio yoghurts - alpro on the go
    Onken yoghurt - alpro coconut
    Milk - almond milk
    Ice cream - tesco free from ice cream
    Chicken - quorn vegan pieces
    Southern fried chicken - quorn southern fried chicken burger
    Beef burger - Amys Manhattan burger
    Sausage - Linda McCartney sausages
    Sandwich meat - tofurkey slices
    American cheese - violife slices
    Cream cheese - violife cream cheese
    Chocolate - moomoo and frys
    Clotted cream - coconut cream
    Mince meat - lentils
    Snacks - popcorn , nakd bars and nibbles , pulsin brownies and anything else yummy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How to transition? Don't eat dairy products.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Look, I transitioned a week ago. I was already vegetarian for about 18 years and I hardly ate eggs anyway, so obviously I found it easy. If you really love eggs, milk and cheese, then go vegetarian first, otherwise you'll instantly start cheating and making excuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    How to transition? Don't eat dairy products.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Look, I transitioned a week ago. I was already vegetarian for about 18 years and I hardly ate eggs anyway, so obviously I found it easy. If you really love eggs, milk and cheese, then go vegetarian first, otherwise you'll instantly start cheating and making excuses.
    Do you go the whole hog and avoid things like leather and most beers and wines too?

ReputationRep:
    My only tips is don't. Meat is so nice. nom nom nom.
    :chicken::moo::piggy: :eating:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Do you go the whole hog and avoid things like leather and most beers and wines too?
    So un-punny

ReputationRep:
    I know this is highly individual, but when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan, nuts became a huge part of my diet. I eat them with (soy)yogurt and porridge, as peanut butter on fruit, in woks and alone. They're great because they have protein, are pretty healthy and are so easy to store. Oh and you probably should consider starting to take B12 supplements if you aren't already.

ReputationRep:
    as people have already mentionned vegan alternatives to animal products can be usefull for transitionning (quorn, rice milk etc).
    My main adivice though is to find a vegan meal/snack etc you really love so that you are less tempted by the none vegan stuff and bringing food with you when you're out will help make sure you don't need to buy non vegan food. Also many restaurants etc are happy to tweak the vegetarian option to make it vegan if you ask.
    I'd also watch 101 reasons to go vegan and gary yourofsky's best speeck ever to keep you motivated and away from dairy etc.
    Also subscribe to vegan youtubers with "what I eat in a day videos" to get ideas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.