Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't wish to sound morbid. But...

I have witnessed the spectacle of conceited boomers, and of smug, condescending, venal, corrupt and vile GenXers raised on Thatcherism.
    The exploitation, self-interest dressed up as otherwise, and sheer shamelessness and hypocrisy. Sociopathy is in full effect.

Then I see the earnestness, and misguidedness of some youth. I see the unpleasant and unsupportive environment they seem to have. I see the soullessness of this world, that before my eyes has headed in this direction for the last 20 years of my life. And no, I am not a cliche, or a hippy, or a Utopian, just someone who sees what the received wisdom of the last 20 yrs has done, and who can feel how society changed. Then I look at the continued widening of the gap between rich and poor, and the stigma against opposing it. The AI revolution on the way, the dire state of liberty and privacy which won't be questioned by people who have grown up knowing nothing else. The acceleration of climate change that looks imminent, according to the latest graphs. Militant Islam and it's sheer determination, and Europes weakness and PC, deluded liberal politics in addressing this.
    Apocalyptic weaponary too. Zombified people addicted to devices who don't really have human feeling or curiosity about the physical world around them, anti-social media and all it's pathologies, smearing, lying, moral outrage and propaganda, endemic narcissism and self-promotion.

Is there hope?

I've let go deliberately of women I could have had a future with, and kids, even though everything else in any other world would have been perfect. Because I just can't bury my head in the sand about the future, I couldn't responsibly have a kid with what I think they will live through.

ReputationRep:
    Just move to the wilderness.

ReputationRep:
    Translation: "I think I'm great and everyone and everything else is terrible"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Translation: "I think I'm great and everyone and everything else is terrible"
    Wrong. I just think the world has been ****ed by western recent generations and their arrogance. You can be smug and 'we've never had it so good' ish, but I think this is deluded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Wrong. I just think the world has been ****ed by western recent generations and their arrogance. You can be smug and 'we've never had it so good' ish, but I think this is deluded.
    Arguably, that's the smugness right there - the pure trendiness of blaming "the West" and people slightly older than yourself. Why is the West? Why can't we blame Asians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Do we have real hope in the world?
    YES

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.