Web Development or Database Administration upon graduation

Watch
username2491853
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok, so I will only have a degree in Computer Science after my final year - with no work experience at all.

So far, the careers that have most interested me are web development and databases.

Based on my research, web development is easy to get a job in, whereas database administration is harder.

Although the subject suggests which career I should take out of the two mentioned, I want to eventually work in the databases field, but I currently have no experience.

Should I start out by getting a job in web development, acquire experience and then work my way up to database administration, or is there a better approach to this?
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Database admin is surely rather dull? Ensuring that the database is versioned correctly and that new fields introduced don't cause problems etc etc. It feels like a computer science light kind of job with no particular direction or end goal. I think the reason there aren't so many database admin jobs is because it isn't a job that is needed. The only time I have come across one was in the development of an enterprise system and their job was simply to coordinate the new tables and fields created by the developers and ensure everyone was working on the same version of a database. Not exactly riveting stuff.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (117)
34.31%
Yes - a trusted person (92)
26.98%
No (90)
26.39%
I'm not sure (42)
12.32%

Watched Threads