Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help with this questions which has been bothering me for a while.

Name:  Maths Question 8.png
Views: 492
Size:  39.2 KB

It is from the Edexcel 9-1 Maths Specimen Paper
    I am aware of the answer since a mark scheme is also on the pdf however I just can't figure out how to work it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer3)

Those two angle are equal to each other, the opposite ones - since it's a parallelogram. Set them up in an equation and solve for x.

Try do it yourself but here is the answer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    5x-20 = 2x+43

3x = 63

Therefore X = 21

Now see if you can figure out how to find y

ReputationRep:

I am aware of the answer since a mark scheme is also on the pdf however I just can't figure out how to work it out.

opposite angles are equal

2x+43=5x-20

3x-20=43

3x=63

x=21

Now to get y...
    Spoiler:
    Show

bl angle = 85
    tr angle = 85
    br angle = 4y-105

360- 170 = 190

190/2= 95 since opposite angles must be equal

4y-105=95
    4y=200 y =50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Those two angle are equal to each other, the opposite ones - since it's a parallelogram. Set them up in an equation and solve for x.

Try do it yourself but here is the answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    5x-20 = 2x+43

3x = 63

Therefore X = 21

Now see if you can figure out how to find y
    I honestly cant even figure it out, I think I partially understand it but idk whats wrong with me today lol
    Do you substitute the 21 in for x?....

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cant even figure it out, I think I partially understand it but idk whats wrong with me today lol
    Yes. Remember 360 degrees make up a parallelogram and opposite angles are equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    opposite angles are equal

2x+43=5x-20

3x-20=43

3x=63

x=21

Now to get y...
    Spoiler:
    Show

bl angle = 85
    tr angle = 85
    br angle = 4y-105

360- 170 = 190

190/2= 95 since opposite angles must be equal

4y-105=95
    4y=200 y =50

Where did you get the 170 from? Also what does bl tr and br mean?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions.. aha

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get the 170 from? Also what does bl tr and br mean?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions.. aha
    Stand for bottom left, top right and bottom right angles.

Once you've solved for x you can sub the value in to get two angles. Angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 therefore doing 360-85-85 (360-170) will give you 190.

Same principle again. Opposite angles are equal and you know that the last two angles add up to 190. Therefore each angle would have to be 95 (190/2) for them to be equal. You would then equate 95 to 4y-105 then solve for y as previously shown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    Stand for bottom left, top right and bottom right angles.

Once you've solved for x you can sub the value in to get two angles. Angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 therefore doing 360-85-85 (360-170) will give you 190.

Same principle again. Opposite angles are equal and you know that the last two angles add up to 190. Therefore each angle would have to be 95 (190/2) for them to be equal. You would then equate 95 to 4y-105 then solve for y as previously shown.
    Oh okay I finally understood it, thank you so much
    Do you know what this topic is specifically called? Anywhere I can practice using worksheets ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Yes. Remember 360 degrees make up a parallelogram and opposite angles are equal.
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay I finally understood it, thank you so much
    Do you know what this topic is specifically called? Anywhere I can practice using worksheets ?
    No worries.

It's called Geometry.

Haven't done GCSE Maths in a couple of years but I remember mymaths and bbc bitesize being useful for revision. Don't remember using worksheets for maths (just a personal thing) but just using past papers all the time. Email your teacher for some worksheets if you can.

I think you could benefit from some youtube vids as well. Hegartymaths is something you could look into.

How you feeling about the new maths spec? Heard there's mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    No worries.

It's called Geometry.

Haven't done GCSE Maths in a couple of years but I remember mymaths and bbc bitesize being useful for revision. Don't remember using worksheets for maths (just a personal thing) but just using past papers all the time. Email your teacher for some worksheets if you can.

I think you could benefit from some youtube vids as well. Hegartymaths is something you could look into.

There isn't, at least on Edexcel. It's a fair bit harder, tbf, although I enjoy Maths so I didn't really notice a huge jump, people have been really hit hard. There's a bit of Statistics (venn diagrams and notation), but nothing as complex as mechanics. If there was, I would curl up into a ball and rock back and forth ._. Mechanics looks like literal hell, looking at M1/M2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    There isn't, at least on Edexcel. It's a fair bit harder, tbf, although I enjoy Maths so I didn't really notice a huge jump, people have been really hit hard. There's a bit of Statistics (venn diagrams and notation), but nothing as complex as mechanics. If there was, I would curl up into a ball and rock back and forth ._. Mechanics looks like literal hell, looking at M1/M2.
    Yeah mechanics looks quite hard and it is when you first start M1 since you have very little prior knowledge. But you get used to the jump from no mechanics to M1 after some time then from M1 to M2 the progression is quite nice.

Used to loathe Mechanics but now I'm fine challenging myself with M3. Not to say M3 isn't difficult or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    No worries.

It's called Geometry.

Oh okay
    And I don't particularly think the new spec is immensely hard since we year 10s were newly introduced to it so it was no surprise as we weren't as much familiar with the old spec. So the new specification is just normal GCSE maths for us if that makes any sense

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  528.3 KBI recommend that you buy these they are really helpful each topic is explained well with questions to try in the workbook. You can get these for higher and foundation tier.

The book can be purchased from waterstones or whsmith. These pages might help with that question you was answering just then.
Views: 325
Size:  505.0 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    M1 is actually considered a very straight forward module, among C1, C2 and D1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT2000)
    The book can be purchased from waterstones or whsmith. These pages might help with that question you was answering just then.
Views: 325
Size:  505.0 KB
    Oh thank you, I will have a look at these and if liked I will purchase

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.